All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 710987 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1778 on: July 08, 2012, 06:38:17 AM »
No I think that is just as narrow as those who want cheap beans and petrol. For me it is much more about the identity of the town/suburb than about narrow issues like education and beans.

Wheels,

Education is not a narrow issue, it is about as wide as it gets.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #1777 on: July 08, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
Last nite chap from collage said they would have to go to plan b if supermarket didn't get planing
Did he say what Plan B is?

sgk

« Reply #1776 on: July 08, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
All this talk about new buildings being the panacea for Cheadle+Marple College. 

It's a wonder Cambridge or Oxford manage to crank out any decent results with all their old buildings.  ::)

Johnnyboy

« Reply #1775 on: July 07, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
Last nite chap from collage said they would have to go to plan b if supermarket didn't get planing

wheels

« Reply #1774 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
Johnnyboy,

The college is a facility for the whole town not just one small part of the it and it certainly serves this side of the borough. Of course there are going to be more children from other areas than just Marple and the business shops cafes all benefit from that so dont go all little Marpleish.

Where would you suggest the children of Bredbury/Romiley/Woodly/Offerton go or don't they matter.

jethroh65

« Reply #1773 on: July 07, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »
Harry is spot on: what matters here is education, not the price of beans. And no-one should kid themselves that the buildings don't matter - they do. Setting aside for a moment the need to attract students in viable numbers, there is the issue of efficiency. New purpose-built premises are much cheaper to run and maintain than inefficient and poorly built old conversions. And the money that is saved on running costs can be redirected towards teaching our kids and grandkids. It's a no brainer.
Every school,college & university has to maintain or improve buildings, in the same we have maintain our houses. Most colleges do not have a site they can sell off to achieve this. Will the college close without ASDA buying Hibbert Lane?
Or would they find the means by other methods.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #1772 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »
When I went to the meeting last nite I asked the college how many students went from marple and it was not a lot  they said most come from out of area carnt remember figures but a lot. So we are building a supermarket to pay for kids out of area doesn't seem right to me mate

Dave

« Reply #1771 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
Harry is spot on: what matters here is education, not the price of beans. And no-one should kid themselves that the buildings don't matter - they do. Setting aside for a moment the need to attract students in viable numbers, there is the issue of efficiency. New purpose-built premises are much cheaper to run and maintain than inefficient and poorly built old conversions. And the money that is saved on running costs can be redirected towards teaching our kids and grandkids. It's a no brainer.

Victor M

« Reply #1770 on: July 07, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
On the education front it is more than just having 21st century classrooms that influence which college our children/grandchildren chose. My children (under no influence of mine) chose to go to Aquinas (prior to all the new build). When asked why, their reason was simple, it was because they thought that Aquinas had a better ethos and pastoral care than CAMSFC. They both had to rise 1-2 hrs before their compatriots who were attending CAMSFC, and had less free time, however they both still think they made the right decision. Did CAMSFC try and find out why they didn't stay local NO, it is the support and teaching standards that influence which college people go.

jethroh65

« Reply #1769 on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
I think most of you have lost the plot completely.

Its not about saving a few pence on a tin of beans. The supermarket is just a means to an end.

Its all about providing a suitable establishment, and facilities, to educate our young people, now and in the future. People need to stop thinking short term. A bit of extra traffic, maybe. A few parked cars, so what?

A good education for our young people is whats important.

So a new build on Buxton Lane will guarantee a good education?

It has nothing to do with the teaching ability the establishment?

Will the new Rosehill School provide a better education than All Saints or Ludworth?

Should we knock Cambridge and Oxford old colleges and rebuild new fit for purpose universities instead?

It's all about money, the college has been offered the money for Hibbert Lane which negates the need to
apply for grants or loans etc to maintain the present establishments or indeed redevelop Buxton Lane.

wheels

« Reply #1768 on: July 07, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »
No I think that is just as narrow as those who want cheap beans and petrol. For me it is much more about the identity of the town/suburb than about narrow issues like education and beans.

Harry

« Reply #1767 on: July 07, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
I think most of you have lost the plot completely.

Its not about saving a few pence on a tin of beans. The supermarket is just a means to an end.

Its all about providing a suitable establishment, and facilities, to educate our young people, now and in the future. People need to stop thinking short term. A bit of extra traffic, maybe. A few parked cars, so what?

A good education for our young people is whats important.

amazon

« Reply #1766 on: July 07, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
JMC, I agree it is a struggle with young kids to do the shopping, but is the struggle not worth it to keep
the area as we have it now?

Fair point. I have always said I am 'on the fence'. But I can see both sides of the argument and sympathise with many of the YES arguments as well as some of NOs. What I would want given the choice is an Aldi (the old Hanburys would have been ideal or the sorting office) but it probably won't happen. I do worry about traffic increasing and impact on residents but I can see that for those on a low income ASDA would be useful.
I agree that a Aldi in the town centre would a good alternative solution rather than ASDA on Hibbert Lane.

Stop Asda you stop the college from improving there facilities at Buxton lane .you say you care about your grandchildren .

jethroh65

« Reply #1765 on: July 07, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
JMC, I agree it is a struggle with young kids to do the shopping, but is the struggle not worth it to keep

Fair point. I have always said I am 'on the fence'. But I can see both sides of the argument and sympathise with many of the YES arguments as well as some of NOs. What I would want given the choice is an Aldi (the old Hanburys would have been ideal or the sorting office) but it probably won't happen. I do worry about traffic increasing and impact on residents but I can see that for those on a low income ASDA would be useful.
I agree that a Aldi in the town centre would a good alternative solution rather than ASDA on Hibbert Lane.

JMC

« Reply #1764 on: July 07, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »