RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701832 times)

NeilCorrie

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #338 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
The wider Marple community might now have to pay for the mismanagement by the Governing Body, they appear to have taken their eyes off Marple and concentrated too much on Cheadle. Anyone know where the Governors come from, I know the Principal lives in Stoke.

Conveniently, there is no longer a councillor on the board of governors (despite the College website insisting Cllr Margaret McLay is still a governor), so I've submitted a FOI to find out the accurate list.

Current governors (draft list, awaiting true list from college via FOI)

Lawrie Grant        Chair
Trevor Jones        Deputy Chair
Christina Cassidy   Principal
Adrian Clare        Governor
Ian Doughty         Parent
Stephen Downs       Governor
Sandra Dunn         Staff
Anand Dutta         Governor
Mike Gledhill       Governor
Cllr Margaret McLay Governor
Phil Masey          Student
Karen Moore         Governor
Ian Powell          Staff
Richard Young       Governor

sooty2

« Reply #337 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
First of all, I would like to say as a founder member and foot soldier of Marple in Action a huge thankyou to every one of you,who gave up their time to support our objection to a major supermarket  blighting our small town.The response has been phenomanal. We in Marple have almost everything we need. I personally could not or want for more.I gained a lot of feedback from people who live near the proposed supermarket.Their concerns were that their homes would no longer be looking over a field, who can blame them,I for one would not like the prospect of floodlights at night attracting possible anti-social behaviour as happens on a regular basis at Morrisons at Bredbury.Like a moth to a flame.A member of my family suffered terrible problems whilst living on Smithy Green due to youths passing her property to congregate on the morrisons car park.Those people often had their cars vandalised nightly.She has since moved out of that area.Marple Syrup, you have raised some valid points concerning the Hyde college.If the Marple college was to close after the sale of the Hibbert Lane site all this would of been a nonsense at the expense of local business,property devaluation and general unrest amongst us. tonight saw approx 3OO people.From Acorns grow might Oaks!

SkyGuy

« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Having witnessed the fantastic support by the people of Marple at the Area Committee Meeting tonight makes me hopeful that we could succeed in overturning this ridiculous proposal.

I have said in a previous post that the only way to prevail is by the concerted action of the community as a whole working as one. I am pleased to say that this seems to be happening and I only hope that the people of Marple have the staying power and the will to continue on what may become a long and drawn out process. The College must now take note of public reaction and respond accordingly.

Well done Marple!

marple_syrup

« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
Like the Marple campuses (campi?), the Cheadle campus of camsfc was originally housed in former school buildings.  In the 1990s, one of them was found to be structurally unsafe, due to decaying reinforced concrete.  It was therefore demolished, and replaced with a nice new building which opened about ten years ago.  That's all.  No hidden agendas, mismanagement or conspiracies - boring isn't it  ;)

But now we are in a position that to modernise the Marple site there is no straightforward 'replace with a nice new building'.  Despite a merger supposedly making financial sense, the Marple site has to lose the main functioning arm of the college in this area in order to raise the capital to rebuild completely.  Wilst this is clearly not 'mismanagement', it's safe to say that as a result of a merger supposedly offering improved conditions to a good student population in Marple, the wider community will now suffer.
Dave I know you're one of the few to have spoken against it, and respect your opinions, but we are told tonight that the site is very large, at 9 acres, and that from Marple In Action it is looking like the site will be sold to a big retailer, following the meeting with the College today.
Whatever way you look at it, the College's requirement for funds has not been aided by this merger, and the sale of the site to raise capital may longer terms have a negative effect.  If the proposed academy status is granted to Marple Hall and they start providing sixth form, reduced operations on the Marple campus could spell a move of a lot of services to Cheadle.
Looking at Tameside College as a case in point, the merger there with Hyde Clarendon and Ashton sites has had a massive impact on the Hyde centre.  It was a well established provider of A levels, merged with a slightly more affluent neighbour, and then sold land off to Greater Manchester Police to raise funds.  Now it's a fraction of the provider it was, and Ashton booms.  Obviously this is a side issue.  You are obviously pro supermarket.  I disagree strongly with your summation that it will be sufficiently small to have a positive effect on traffic, and disagree that everything is hunky dory with the way the finances have been handled after the merger.

Miss Marple

« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Representatives of Marple in Action today attended a meeting with Ms Cassidy (Principal) and Mr Hubert (Finance) of CAMSFC. We were told that they have considered many options for the sale of the Hibbert Lane site and that YES they were now only considering the supermarket option. They would not disclose which supermarkets have made bids but confirm there are 2 in the running and they have a "favourite". The sale will be subject to planning permission for both the supermarket on Hibbert Lane AND the redevelopment and extension of the Buxton Lane campus but they expect to sign a contract mid-October after their next Governors Board Meeting. Apparently they have taken advice on the likelihood of obtaining planning permission, bearing in mind the site is currently zoned for residential use, and have been advised by their legal team that this change of use would not be in breach of planning law!
Following on from this, we attended the Marple Area Committee meeting and were amazed by the turnout from local residents. Approximately 300 people forced the Councillors to abandon the Senior Citizens Hall and hold their first ever open air meeting in Memorial Park. The Councillors knew less than the people of Marple! So, thank you to those who gave up their valuable time to voice their concerns over this most important and now urgent of local issues. You, the people of Marple, have delivered a clear message to the Councillors that MARPLE is indeed IN ACTION!!! This is only the beginning. Keep spreading the word, and keep all eyes on this website as we develop our own webpage and action plan, and for news of the next meeting.
WHAT A TEAM!!!   ;)

Dave

« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
Like the Marple campuses (campi?), the Cheadle campus of camsfc was originally housed in former school buildings.  In the 1990s, one of them was found to be structurally unsafe, due to decaying reinforced concrete.  It was therefore demolished, and replaced with a nice new building which opened about ten years ago.  That's all.  No hidden agendas, mismanagement or conspiracies - boring isn't it  ;)

Victor M

« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2011, 02:49:29 PM »

Go and see the excellent Cheadle campus of camsfc - it's an eye-opener, and will make you realise how much Marple young people are being educated as second-class citizens.  

Why was the Cheadle campus modernised and not the Marple one? Or is there a hidden agenda to close or reduce the number of courses at the Marple site.
When the colleges were combined it was because the Marple College was seen as having a long term future and sufficient student numbers, while the Cheadle college was struggling for pupils. The wider Marple community might now have to pay for the mismanagement by the Governing Body, they appear to have taken their eyes off Marple and concentrated too much on Cheadle. Anyone know where the Governors come from, I know the Principal lives in Stoke.

Dave

« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »
I think that anyone who opposes the building of a new supermarket in Marple but drives to a supermarket outside Marple to do their "big shop" is on shaky ground here.

Why does everyone assume that the small shops in the centre of Marple will suffer if or when a new supermarket comes? Does everyone do their supermarket shopping for heavy groceries and their visits to the hardware shop at the same time? I (and I suspect many working people with a family) would continue to do a large supermarket shop on one evening and a visit to the local shops on a different day. Do people go to a supermarket to buy nails, screws, wood or paint ... or do they go to Hollins? I think that the local shops would actually benefit from having less vehicular traffic in the centre of Marple. I would shop at a new supermarket but use the other non-grocery shops at least as much as before.

The only business to suffer would be the Co-op and, to be honest, their "ethical" credentials have gone out of the window by refusing to let any competing supermarket take over the Hanbury's store, whilst their retailing credentials have been lost by their pricing and their complete inability to keep their shelves stacked.

As for the College, they have to expand because the government has decreed that all young people now have to stay in education until age 18. They also have to replace some dated buildings with very little available cash. Are we going to oppose a good sixth-form education for our children?

We could oppose a new supermarket on the grounds of some nostalgic attachment to "small shops" or we could move forward, making sure that the benefits (to the environment, education, well-being of local citizens) are greater than the losses. Better to be part of the design and planning of a new development than just to oppose it "on principle".

Some very sensible points here.  The only thing I would take issue with is the reference to the College's plans being about growth.  Actually I don't believe they are - it's mainly about replacing some outdated  and unsuitable old school buildings.  They were built, on the cheap, in the mid-20th century for an 11-16 secondary school.  Surrounded by largely unused playing fields, they now provide unsatisfactory accommodation for a 16-18 6th form college, which requires completely different facilities.   Go and see the excellent Cheadle campus of camsfc - it's an eye-opener, and will make you realise how much Marple young people are being educated as second-class citizens.  And as for the Marple councillor (who shall be nameless) who announced to the Stockport Express that 'the land was given to the college to provide further education', and that selling it to a supermarket would be a 'scandal', that is an extraordinary thing for a councillor to say.  ::) How exactly does HE propose that we should improve the educational facilities for the children and grandchildren of the people who voted for him?   Or does he think second-best is good enough for the likes of us? 

Bartlett

« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
Jane Horrocks is clearly not worried about biting the hand that used to feed her, as she's been rather harsh on Tesco customers in a new interview.

Speaking to the Radio Times, the actress admitted she doesn't usually shop in the supermarket chain, despite having appeared as the face of Tesco for a decade.

The 47-year-old actress bought her house in south-west London - which she calls "Tesco Towers" - with the money she earned appearing in the ads, admitted she found it "scary" to shop there.

"There's always a set type of people doing their shopping according to the time or the day, whether it's pensioners holding everyone up or screeching kids.

''Or sometimes you can have rather a lot of chavs in, and that gets a bit scary."

Miss Marple

« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
Members from 'Marple in Action' will be going to speak with the Principal later this afternoon to gather information if possible as to what the land is going to be used for.  Marple in Action have worked extremely hard over the past week and feel that we have now got to the stage whereby the community needs to support us by coming along to tonights meeting.   Please please do not rely on information just being put on this site because it's now about showing the councillors, planning dept and any supermarket with an interest, who will more than likely be monitoring this site with intrest, that they are not welcome.  The only way to show this is to attend the meeting, it's bums on seats now that will drive this campaign forward.  An hour of your time will prove more useful than any poll or web site,  the press will be there this evening, so if you care as much as I do about Marple and our village type way of life.  You must attend tonight please !  Let's show all that need reminding that It's Not Happining !

Cyberman

« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
If Tesco promise new facilities, don't hold your breath. The article below (taken from Tescopoly website) shows how long they took to build the promised doctor's surgery in Burnage when they built their store there in 2005.

I grew up in Burnage and am now saddened to see how the once thriving shops in the area have gone downhill mainly I believe due to the Tesco store. I don't want this to happen here. And don't get me started on traffic and pollution issues.

To Hollins - Tesco sell much more than food. Many small shops selling hardware, electricals and clothing will see a reduction in footfall.

http://menmedia.co.uk/southmanchesterreporter/news/s/1028230_doctors_are_running_out_of_patience

hollins

« Reply #327 on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
I think that anyone who opposes the building of a new supermarket in Marple but drives to a supermarket outside Marple to do their "big shop" is on shaky ground here.

Why does everyone assume that the small shops in the centre of Marple will suffer if or when a new supermarket comes? Does everyone do their supermarket shopping for heavy groceries and their visits to the hardware shop at the same time? I (and I suspect many working people with a family) would continue to do a large supermarket shop on one evening and a visit to the local shops on a different day. Do people go to a supermarket to buy nails, screws, wood or paint ... or do they go to Hollins? I think that the local shops would actually benefit from having less vehicular traffic in the centre of Marple. I would shop at a new supermarket but use the other non-grocery shops at least as much as before.

The only business to suffer would be the Co-op and, to be honest, their "ethical" credentials have gone out of the window by refusing to let any competing supermarket take over the Hanbury's store, whilst their retailing credentials have been lost by their pricing and their complete inability to keep their shelves stacked.

As for the College, they have to expand because the government has decreed that all young people now have to stay in education until age 18. They also have to replace some dated buildings with very little available cash. Are we going to oppose a good sixth-form education for our children?

We could oppose a new supermarket on the grounds of some nostalgic attachment to "small shops" or we could move forward, making sure that the benefits (to the environment, education, well-being of local citizens) are greater than the losses. Better to be part of the design and planning of a new development than just to oppose it "on principle".

pjarvis98

« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
..... This will involve demolishing the swimming baths (over my dead body) and the newsagents.   As a sweetener to the out cry that will start once it is out there are plans to build a swimming complex on the Woodville site or in that vicinity.   Hope this is just a rumour but there is usually no smoke without fire!  My god ! I feel another petition coming on  :P
Have you looked up in the ladies changing rooms, thick mould growing everywhere! tiles falling off the walls while I'm trying to change my children for lessons. A new pool would be fantastic but not at the expense of a tesco!!!!

Bartlett

« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
I unfortunately live next to the field in question.  It bad enough when the bin men come to the college at 4 a.m. on Thursday mornings.  The sound travels across the field so imagine what it like when there will be deliveries every day.

I also heard whilst doing my shopping that they are thinking of knocking down the baths and another shop to accommodate the lorries.  I can only imagine this is why they spent so much money on dan bank.

I have had a letter from Andrew Stunell confirming that no planning permission has been applied for yet!  How much money does this council need.  There is something that quite shocked me in that they receive the same council tax from me as they do from every residential flat in Marple, so taking into account that there are four residential flats areas in Marple they take on average £200,000.00 per year in council tax alone from these flats and then when the bad weather comes they do not clear the pavements or the walkways so that they can get out and buy food to survive.  Mr Stunell was sent emails and nothing happened.

I also feel sorry for all the local shops.  How are they going to survive when it is difficult enough to park in Marple but that you also have to pay.  If Tesco does build here it will be free car parking so why wouold anyone go into Marple.  We need to support our local shops and not let this happen to them.

I the people who live on the other side of the precinct want a supermarket, then have it near you and not next to my house where it will devalue my property and cause major polution to the area.

Why not move Marple Hall School to the College (as it use to be a school) and knock down Marple Hall School and built it there.  We could at least have a good swimming pool and leisure centre instead of what we have now.  After all the money that should have been spent on Marple was spent on Romily baths instead.  Surprise this is where Mr Stunell lives.

marveld

« Reply #324 on: July 27, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
Can someone please help me out here?  Susan Ingham, chair of the Area Committee, has stated:
It is true that the College intend to sell the Hibbert Lane Campus and as an independent commercial organisation they are free to do whatever they believe is in the College’s best interest and the Council has no jurisdiction in that respect.  As I understand it they have been in talks with various supermarkets and developers, but nothing has been agreed at this stage. As far as planning permission goes, the Council Planning department is clear that the land in question is designated as housing.  No retail development would be given consent outside the District Centre. The Hibbert Lane campus falls outside the District Centre and therefore any a planning application to develop a retail site is likely to be refused.
A key word that I picked up on was likely. If the Council Planning department is clear that the Hibbert Lane Campus is only designated for housing, why is it only likely that a retail site would be refused? Can someone ask Councillor Ingham (or another Councillor) at the meeting tonight, under what circumstances the Council would go ahead and grant retail permission? (I am unable to attend)