Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Asda comes to Marple?  (Read 31037 times)

sgk

Re: Asda comes to Marple?
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
Stalybridge town centre.  If you look really closely at the right hand portion of the image, you can see a shop that's actually open.

More info at http://tamesidecitizen.blogspot.com/2010/06/sad-state-of-stalybridge-town-centre.html

mabel

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
Perhaps those people who are in favour of having a large supermarket on Hibbert Lane should take a moment to have a look around Marple and consider what it will look like when many of the independent shops are put out of business and are boarded up or become charity shops and pound shops.  This is what has happened to places such as Stalybridge when Tesco opened in their town centre.

heather

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
the term big supermarkets refers to the name of the supermarket      not the size. thankyou steptoe and son i was beginning to think it was me  hahahahahahah

Barbara

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
Am I the only customer of the Co-op who finds most of the staff friendly and helpful?  Yes, they do have some faults in stock control but generally it is not bad at all, and I do like getting my 'divi' from time to time!  And the home delivery service is extremely useful for people who either can't carry much or who prefer to walk to their local shops rather than use their cars. 

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
I would imagine that if one of the big chains opened a supermarket on the Hibbert Lane campus site, it would dwarf any of the previous supermarkets in Marple.  They would want to optimise the space and build as big as possible...legally, or illegally as at the Portwood Tesco.

I totally agree about the co-op though Heather, if it is one of their 'flagship' stores, it's not managed like one.  My wife pretty much refuses to shop there and when I'm sent, it's just the same old poor service.  I get through it by being as nice as possible, it certainly throws some of the staff   ;D

Harry

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
Where has this term 'BIG supermarket' come from?

Nobody has any idea what size it could possibly be. No planning application has been put in.

heather

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
i know you will but  you leed me astray when we go shopping together ( not that i need much encouragement) but back to the matter of the big supermarket,  does anyone remember the one that was a the bottom of stockport  road,  it was in the parade of shops opposite   sommerfield, well people thought that would change Marple, but sometimes  you have to change with the times.

Susan

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
no i dont want you to remortgage you home either mum, so if u need to go shopping i will take u dont worry, just to let u know i no that 1 of the major shops will not be opening in the next 12 months in marple

heather

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
i agree with Tina and Alan  its about time the shops in Marple had to work a bit harder to keep custom instead of it being a given that the people from Marple will shop here i don't go in the co-op as i feel the staff can be quite rude and i don't want to remortgage my home

Tricky

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
Oh I agree there would be some 'new' traffic, just find it hard to imagine there would be a massive change.

meh

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »

Same here Tricky, this seems to be a recurring rumour that has resurfaced again and I'm hesitant to get involved.  But  ;)...I must say that I think it's naive to imagine that the traffic in Marple wouldn't become a bigger problem than it is now if a major supermarket was built, and, as evident across the country, we would see many of the local shops disappear, and then the erosion of the local community feeling and spirit of Marple . 

Re the traffic..I'd say it's far worse in Marple now that it was 5 years ago, never mind 25 years ago.

Tricky

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
Well said Harry.

I don't know how many deliveries per hour people are expecting!

I didn't want to get into this topic as it is all based on rumour (as far as I can tell)

Traffic coming to the college site would only replace traffic driving to the other supermarkets.. replacing lots of journeys to and from Stockport and Hazel Grove.. AND local jobs would be created whether they're only part-time or not is irrelevent.

Some people want part time work.

meh

Harry

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
I can't understand all this moaning about traffic in Marple. The only time we have a traffic problem is in the morning, when a lot of people are trying to get out of Marple to go to work. And it has been so for at least the last 25 years.

As for delivery vehicles. Do the trucks delivering to the Co-op cause a problem? No. We hardly ever see them.

Do the trucks delivering to Iceland cause a problem? No. Summerfield? No.

Why not wait to see what size supermarket is proposed before objecting and signing petitions.

Don't forget, if the college can't sell the land, it could close down.

Victor M

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
I am sorry to disagree with so many people, but the last thing Marple needs is another supermarket, it just does not have the infrastructure to cope. Stockport Road, Hibbert Lane, Church St. etc will just become clogged up and no one will be able to travel out of Marple. We get traffic jams now in the middle of the week day and on Saturdays, this will just get worse and effect Sundays and evenings. I for one will seriously think of moving away, Marple will become like Bredbury, a no go area.

alan@marple

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »
I agree with Tina.

We do have some fine shops in Marple, Archers, Whites, Littlewoods, Niels and a wonderful Gents outfitters-Paul Howard

All selling quality goods, but in many cases at higher prices than the supermarkets.
With the exception of Paul Howards, I can- if I wanted to get everything else-foodwise from the Co-op, but as I do not like going into the Co-op (unless I really have to) I do go to one of the big 5 in Stockport,on my buss pass because it suits my pocket.

Why should I pay more to shop local?

I wanted a small building repair job done with a Marple Trader, who never turned up for an appointment and did not even ring to offer an apology or explanation.

Membership of Local associations I am sorry to say means little to me

I also have experienced in a few cases, rudeness and indifference from shop staff, which has caused me not to return to them.
"
Support my local trader"

Why?
Big 5 in Marple...yes please, any one of them
"