Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Asda comes to Marple?  (Read 31086 times)

tina

Re: Asda comes to Marple?
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »
As a single mother who can not drive, I would welcome another supermarket in Marple.
Not everyone has the luxury to choose which of the big 5 in the Stockport area to shop in.

bluebelly

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
marks and spencers ?

Harry

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:34 AM »
These stores are all several miles away. Why would a Morrisons in Bredbury affect one being built in Marple for instance?  ???

Many people from Marple already shop at Morrisons in Bredbury. Building a new one here wouldn't generate sufficient additional revenue.

Mr Marple

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
Knowing the Co-op.....they'll keep competition at bay.

Also, word-of-mouth & rumour is always going to get the better of so many Marple residents so keep your wits about you and if the petition is available to sign then sign it.

I'm usually sceptical about other big market competitors coming into Marple....usually just fades away.

Enjoy the sun people.

marpudlian

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »

It'll be interesting to see which supermarket it could be:

Asda - doubt it. Too close to their new store at Hazel Grove.
Tesco - Only a few miles from their 24 hour store in Stockport and they have a Tesco Express in Hazel Grove
Sainsburys - have a store in Hazel Grove and an express in Romiley
Morrisons - too close to their Bredbury store
Waitrose - Mmmm! That could do well. We don't have a quality supermarket in the area.

All just my opinions of course.

These stores are all several miles away. Why would a Morrisons in Bredbury affect one being built in Marple for instance?  ???

heather

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »
victor m you say about the big 4 being within a 5mile radius but a lot of elderly folk don't  get that far and habit makes them shop in marple  so why not give them a choice

heather

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »
been confirmed that littlewoods have a petition

tonyjones

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
The roads in Marple centre cannot take any more heavy traffic, such as HGVs delivering to new supermarkets.
If a new, and large, supermarket is built on Hibbert Lane the only way out for ALL traffic is back to Stockport Road, adding to congestion already present at the traffic lights.
When Samuel Oldknow built his 'New Road' in the 1790's he had horse and carts in mind. It has done very well so far, but enough is enough. And it is time the planners realised this.

amazon

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

Tesco - Only a few miles from their 24 hour store in Stockport and they have a Tesco Express in Hazel Grove
Waitrose - Mmmm! That could do well. We don't have a quality supermarket in the area.

The Waitrose at Poynton probably rules that one out too.

Unlikely, but there's always Booths. They're just opening at MediaCity in Salford and their nearest otherwise is Knutsford. Their stores even sometimes actually look quite nice.

At the other end of the scale, there's Lidl...And alldi and uncle tom cobly an all .

rsh

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

The Waitrose at Poynton probably rules that one out too.

Unlikely, but there's always Booths. They're just opening at MediaCity in Salford and their nearest otherwise is Knutsford. Their stores even sometimes actually look quite nice.

At the other end of the scale, there's Lidl...

amazon

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
Competition is all well and good but could Marple support 2 supermarkets, probably not. There are a number of alternative supermarkets located within 5 miles (2 Tesco, 2 Sainsbury's, 1 Morrissons & 2 Asda's) + just think of the impact on the local roads, remember Bredbury before the supermarket was built. What makes  Marple unique is the number of small independent retailers, most areas don't even have one butchers or green grocers, the last thing Marple needs is another supermarket. If Asda or Tesco were interested in improving competition locally they would put on free local buses like in other areas, but they don't so I can only assume they are not interested.
              New larger sainsburys in stockport across the road planing going in soon .wont hapen in Marple .

Harry

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »
With the reductions in funding the only way for the college to survive is to sell land it doesn't need. Selling to a commercial organization, such as a supermarket, would realise a far higher price than selling to a house builder.

If people resist the option of a supermarket then it could well be the end of the college. This in turn will mean no students spending money in Marple and the possible end of some small businesses, such as those selling lunches.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
local planners do have "choice" and can refuse apps when they do not conform at planning stage to guidelines. The council is definately not powerless regardless of what they claim! However they have to very particular at how they do this and how and why they refuse the apps. Its the little loopholes and errors made that the the giants concentrate on.    Planning appeals still have to go through legislation, guidelines etc and theres always good legal reason for the giants winning!   So I disagree with you Victor on this one. I do think probably that Stockport legal department arn't that good at fighting them though and need to get their act together and learn from mistakes made!

However I think prevention is better than cure and the best way to stop them is to hassle before hand and make sure the college will never sell to the supermarkets.. even if it ends up only being a bit of hearsay again!

Victor M

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
I agree that it would be a disaster for the area but unfortunately Stockport MBC will have no choice but to approve any application. If they refused planning permission the Supermarket chain would just appeal nationally, win their case with costs awarded against the Council. Even when they breach the planning permission by exceeding the size of the store (as Tesco did at Portwood and numerous other sites) the council are powerless so lets hope the College does not sell the land to a supermarket chain.

Cyberman

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »
I think if one of the "Big 4" supermarkets opens up in Marple it would be a disaster for the area - although no-one in their right mind at Stockport Council planning dept would allow it to happen (yes that is meant to be funny). The thought of Asda HGVs negotiating Church Lane Roundabout is not good!

Goods bought from the local independent shops may in some cases be slightly dearer (sometimes cheaper!) but I find them usually better quality, fresher and not over-packaged so you can see what you are buying. Also the staff are knowledgeable, helpful and (usually) friendly. Unlike the lad at the fish counter at Tesco Whaley Bridge who, when I asked for advice about fish, replied "don't know mate - never eat the stuff!"

Other factors - supporting local shops provides proper employment for their owners/staff - not part time roles which most supermarket jobs are. Also with food products, local shops tend to use and support local farmers and growers and not ship stuff in a truck from some central depot at the other end of the country. Think food miles folks!

There is a (rather old) article here about the mostly negative effect the Tesco Burnage store had on local traders - I'm sure the opening of any of the Big 4 would have a similar effect. The article and links make interesting reading. http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?Itemid=107&id=299&option=com_content&task=view