Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Reopen Train Line?  (Read 7459 times)

Dave

Re: Reopen Train Line?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 07:48:55 AM »
  Another time I tried to get the 192 ALL NIGHT BUS ? after a night in town at 4am  To be told by the huge crowd of other people waiting at the bus stop for the 192,  that the ALL NIGHT BUS stops running at 4am so the bus I saw speeding a way full to capacity was the last one until around 6.30am. 

It must have been a Saturday night/Sunday morning - on weekday mornings the 192 starts again about 05.00.  Which is a bit crazy considering that Saturday is is 'night on the town' night for ravers like Miss M.   :D

Miss Marple

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:35:33 PM »
 ;D  What Belly ! Consult a time table after a pint of lemonade shandy  :P  I am not in your league Belly  ;)   CHEERS !!!!!

Belly

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 11:47:12 PM »
>:( Tried to return home by last train once from Manchester to Marple.  Arrived at station with a few minutes to spare only to be told to my horror  :o that I had to get the train on a different platform which was some distance away hence to say I missed the train back.  Another time I tried to get the 192 ALL NIGHT BUS ? after a night in town at 4am  To be told by the huge crowd of other people waiting at the bus stop for the 192,  that the ALL NIGHT BUS stops running at 4am so the bus I saw speeding a way full to capacity was the last one until around 6.30am.  Now not a lot of people know that judging by the huge crowd of people waiting !!  I see a gap in the market !! Pity i can not drive a bus !!!!   So I agree we need a better train and bus service to Marple one in keeping with the 21st Century

Or the ability to consult a timetable?  ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »
 >:( Tried to return home by last train once from Manchester to Marple.  Arrived at station with a few minutes to spare only to be told to my horror  :o that I had to get the train on a different platform which was some distance away hence to say I missed the train back.  Another time I tried to get the 192 ALL NIGHT BUS ? after a night in town at 4am  To be told by the huge crowd of other people waiting at the bus stop for the 192,  that the ALL NIGHT BUS stops running at 4am so the bus I saw speeding a way full to capacity was the last one until around 6.30am.  Now not a lot of people know that judging by the huge crowd of people waiting !!  I see a gap in the market !! Pity i can not drive a bus !!!!   So I agree we need a better train and bus service to Marple one in keeping with the 21st Century

nbt

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »
It would be nice to have a later train than 23.24. THat way once the pubs close, you could wander across Manchester and get the train home instead of having to choose between a mad dash to get the train, or the joy of the 192 Fun Bus and a taxi from Hazel Grove. Or a £50 taxi ride, of course, but that's never an option for my wallet!
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Dave

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 08:04:07 AM »
Well the 23.24 already gets you back to Marple later than 11.30: 11.48 to be precise.  Although I realise that bats like to stay up till the wee small hours.   ;)

I once fell asleep on it and the conductor had to wake me up at New Mills........    ;D

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »
actually this old bat would love to be able to go to manchester and get back later than 11:30!! and i dont care which station it takes me too!!!  ;D

Rachael

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
Tina !

One has their finger of knowledge in a few pies ! ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »
 :D  Yes I mean the last train back to Rose Hill from Manchester.  Bit of a hike up Brabyns Brow when you have had your fill of shandy!! 

Dave

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »
....and getting the last train back from Manchester later each evening or at least on a Fri & Sat.

Presmumably you mean the last train to Rose Hill?  The last train to Marple is 23.24, which is late enough for most of us (but not our kids, of course...) ::)

Miss Marple

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »
 ;D  Hey forget Macc I would be more than happy to get into Stockport by train !   Hope  our MP reads this site because I feel that both he and others with the ability to bring about change  should be working towards preventative measures not always acting in a crisis when there is a major problem with the amount of traffic on our highways .  Even if the reopening of this route is someway off the least our MP and councillors should be doing is trying to get the Rosehill line running on a Sunday and getting the last train back from Manchester later each evening or at least on a Fri & Sat.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »
Whe wants to go to Macclesfield?  We don't need a train service to Macclesfield, but we do desperately need one to Stockport.

The old line which branches off the present line to Piccadilly at Bredbury (known as the Tiviot Dale line) was built over years ago, so that can't be reopened.  But it looks perfectly possible to build a short curve at the far side of Reddish Vale, between Brinnington and Reddish North, connecting the present Piccadilly line with the line from Guide Bridge to Stockport.  This would provide a route from Marple and/or Rose Hill to Stockport calling at Romiley, Bredbury, Brinnington, and Reddish South.  It looks a roundabout route on the map but the journey from Marple to Stockport would only take about 16 minutes.  I'm no civil engineer, but I can't see why this would not be achievable and cost-efficient.

The problem of platform capacity at Stockport is easily solved by re-opening the old bay platform at the north end of platforms 1 and 2.  You could even run trains via this route through to Macclesfield, if that would make you happy Miss Marple.   ;)

I tried to persuade our MP to lobby for this years ago, but he wasn't interested.   :-\

tina

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »

It would need some sort of retaining structure built at the back of these houses  if you were going to re open the line , probably from the rugby club carpark stretch to the corner of woodville  just for starters ,  because subsidance has been a nightmare  for residents .  Some houses have two sets of deeds  from when the railway company sold land to house owners  if they wished to purchase it , so many gardens are extended, but not all ,  but were not structurally supported when the path was made below the back of the gardens, so gardens are slipping, garages cracking down the middle etc with ground movement  .

One would think you would have knowledge of this??? :P

Rachael

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
Hmmmmmm, local councillor you think eh  , I would say, do not give up your day job  :P
,  of course Im teasing , but what about the houses whos gardens are directly facing the middlewood way path .

It would need some sort of retaining structure built at the back of these houses  if you were going to re open the line , probably from the rugby club carpark stretch to the corner of woodville  just for starters ,  because subsidance has been a nightmare  for residents .  Some houses have two sets of deeds  from when the railway company sold land to house owners  if they wished to purchase it , so many gardens are extended, but not all ,  but were not structurally supported when the path was made below the back of the gardens, so gardens are slipping, garages cracking down the middle etc with ground movement  .

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
Ive read some bonkers things on this forum in my time ( including my own stuff !) but that is the most bonkers idea yet !

And there was me thinking you were so "savvy" when it comes to how money should be spent locally ;D
    Hi it would not be local money it would be from the privatised railway company  Then that would free up local monies that would not have to be spent constantly on road works due to the increase in traffic Hey I think I am double Savvy ????  Think I will stand as a local councillor and control that money pot !