Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Area conditions team Investigate "Environmental Crime"  (Read 2238 times)

wolfman

Area conditions team Investigate "Environmental Crime"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »

Every day the team investigates fly-tipping, fly-posting, abandoned vehicles, litter, graffiti and waste.

In January 2009, 886 reports of environmental crime were dealt with. A third of these were fly-tipping incidents, 27% were litter offences and 23% were graffiti related.

Peter Loughlin has been an Area Conditions Officer for two years working in the Tame Valley area committee. He said: “Every day is different. I start each day by looking at what service requests have been made by members of the public. I then go out to investigate their concerns, dealing with any other issues that I may come across. It’s really helpful when the public report the problems they see, so we can investigate and get the areas cleaned up.

“Each incident is dealt with differently. I collect evidence to try and find out who is responsible and then I arrange for the graffiti to be removed or for an area to be cleaned if waste has been fly-tipped. If needed I can take enforcement action against the person(s) responsible.”

Peter works closely with other Council officers such as the Community Recycling Officers, Solutions SK’s street cleansing team and with other agencies such as the Police, Youth Offending team and Stockport Homes to help improve the quality of life for residents in areas where there may be persistent problems.

To report an environmental crime call 0845 833 4444, email stockportdirect@stockport.gov.uk or fill in an online form on the Council website, www.stockport.gov.uk/doitonline

from SMBC website author not stated