A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: facebook  (Read 7993 times)

wolfman

Re: facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
By politics.co.uk staff
Social networking sites like Facebook, Bebo and MySpace will be the latest method of communication targeted for government surveillance.
The revelation came in a Commons committee session with Home Office minister Vernon Coaker, who mentioned adding the sites to an EU directive designed to monitor communications.
It is now clear the government wishes to add the sites to pre-existing plans to put all Britons' communications on a central database, including emails, text messages and phone calls.
"It is absolutely right to point out the difficulty of ensuring that we maintain a capability and a capacity to deal with crime and issues of national security, and where that butts up against issues of privacy," Mr Coaker said.
There was instant opposition to the plan, with Liberal Democrat MP Tom Brake saying: "This is yet more evidence of this government's obsession with hoarding vast amounts of people's personal data.
"We need complete clarity from the government over what data they will retain and how it will be kept secure."
Minister say they do not wish to keep hold of the contents of messages, but instead intend to keep a log of who is talking to who.
Nevertheless, the tens of millions of users of social networking sites are bound to react angrily to the proposal. Changes imposed by Facebook itself frequently meet concerted protest online.
Facebook's chief privacy officer, Chris Kelly, described the proposal as "overkill".
A Home Office spokesman said it would soon be consulting "to ensure that we keep up with technological advances".
The spokesman added: "The government has no interest in the content of people's social network sites and this is not going to be part of our upcoming consultation.
"We have been clear that the communications revolution has been rapid in this country and the way in which we collect communications data needs to change, so that law enforcement agencies can maintain their ability to tackle terrorism and gather evidence."

from politics.co.uk

wolfman

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Mike Harvey, Technology Correspondent, in San Francisco
Facebook users are at risk from malicious hackers targeting the site, online security experts warned.

Account holders have been hit by several different hacking attempts in the last week, as thieves try to capitalise on the trust users place in the service.

Rik Ferguson, senior security adviser at Trend Micro, said that Facebook, which has more than 174 million active users worldwide, had been hit by four separate "rogue applications" and a virus targeted at users of the site.

Hackers are now seeking to take advantage of the popularity of social networks like Facebook and MySpace to get users to divulge personal details, he added.

Facebook allows people to develop and write software applications to run on the site, but they do not need to be approved by Facebook before they are made available for people to download. Mr Ferguson called for Facebook to review its security processes.

"I think that it is time Facebook had a review of its application vetting policy. It launched a service in November last year where people can pay to get their applications approved, but it is voluntary," he said.

According to Mr Ferguson, the rogue applications included "Error Check System" and "Facebook Closing Down", which sent messages to users' profiles saying, for example, that a friend had reported a violation or had a problem contacting them.

The Error Check System rogue application warned users that their friends had been unable to see their profile and contained a link to enable the user to view an “error message”. Clicking on the link only served to forward the same warning messages to all of the friends in a user’s social network.

Such an application could give hackers the opportunity to steal personal information contained in the users' profiles, Mr Ferguson warned. The programs appeared to be test runs, with the next stage potentially proving more dangerous.

Mr Ferguson said: "It looks like this is a proof of concept. They did not appear to do anything malicious other than spread themselves extremely fast and well. Now they have worked out how to do it, we would expect to see more and more malicious applications."

A variant of the Koobface virus that first appeared on social networking sites last December, added to Facebook's problems, Mr Ferguson said.

The new variant uses a Facebook message to try to get people to visit a fake YouTube page and install the malware. To make it look more plausible, said Mr Ferguson, the virus posts the image from a Facebook member's profile on the video page.

"The worm connects to a respective site using login credentials stored in the gathered cookies. It then searches for an infected user’s friends, who are then sent messages containing a link where a copy of the worm is downloaded. It also sends and receives information from an infected machine by connecting to several servers. This allows hackers to execute commands on the affected machine," Mr Ferguson wrote in a blog post.

Mr Ferguson advised people to be careful about the information they made available on Facebook. Profiles should be set to private and not contain any details beyond what is absolutely necessary. "Be very careful and do not click on any strange notifications," he said. "If you receive a notification that looks suspicious do not open it."

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at anti-virus software developers Sophos, wrote in a blog post: "One of the problems is that Facebook allows anybody to write an application and third party applications are not vetted before they are released to the public."

A Facebook spokesman said: “We’ve tried to make the process of building on the Facebook Platform relatively easy in order to stimulate innovation – and to allow the kid in a college dorm room to compete against the big corporation. We’ve also built security into platform by preventing any app from accessing sensitive information like contact info.

"The vast majority of Facebook applications create unique and significant value for our users and do not seek to do anything nefarious with the limited information they can access when users authorize them. That said, we have a dedicated Developer Operations team that’s responsible for investigating applications that show anomalous activity, or that are reported to us by our users.

"This team contacts developers to enforce our policies, either by placing restrictions on the application or by disabling it entirely. In this case, we responded quickly to user reports and disabled the application before too many people were affected. Other instances of developers abusing the system are rare.

"Our developer community has more than 660,000 developers, which is about the population of Baltimore. The drastic measures others have suggested is akin to saying, “there have been two robberies, we need to implement martial law in the city”.

wolfman

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
Australia today Britain tomorrow

Lawyers in Australia expect the internet social network site Facebook to become a new way of tracking down defendants after a landmark court ruling.
The Supreme Court in Australia's capital Canberra has ruled that Facebook is a sufficient way of serving legal documents to defendants who cannot be found.
The case surrounded a couple who defaulted on a loan, but who couldn't be found.
"We couldn't find the defendants personally after many attempts so we thought we would try and find them on Facebook," lawyer Mark McCormack said.
"We did a public search based on the email address we had and the defendants Facebook page appeared."
He said that was enough to convince the court, which found Facebook was a sufficient way of communicating legal papers when it is the plaintiff's responsibility to personally deliver documents.
(Reporting by James Grubel; Editing by Jeremy Laurence) from Reuters

bat man

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
This is a very good link,lets see it grow and promote our area :)

Rachael

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »
We can put a few faces to names from here,  I might need to walk around Marple in disguise if I ever get above my station on here !!

wolfman

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
It would only have been a matter of time before someone pointed out your mistake. To err is human and all that.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31633194908

is the correct one the old one had more members because i hadnt realised until someone pointed it out that I'd spelt community wrong ( there you go I've admitted it  :-[

i have only just put the new one up so give it time :)

tina

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »
I've just joined the link on here wouldn't let me join so clicked on the new link in the group and this then took me to a new one with 3 members but the other one had about 14 members??? so which one is the right one?

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
errr.. sorry i cocked up and have had to recreate.. not telling you why :p

new group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31633194908

Susan

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
I have just joined, and invited people to join

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:42:24 PM »
She's done it! More details soon  8)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
Do it Lisa

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
Its exactly as bat man says
Except
benefits excellent "advertising", bigger audience... visibility
access to a bigger bunch or Marple people who wont necessarily know you are here doing what you do 
everytime someone joins the group all their friends will know.... and they often join same groups and so it grows

You can then msg everyone in that group from time to time with announcements etc

theres all sorts of groups.. for charities for schools, for campaigns (Save the Dale) for anything you can think of really, Norfolk Arms has a got a group aswell!!

Happy to set it up if you want.. I'll need to nick some logos etc but...

bat man

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
What you do is start a group ie support the Marple web site,you put a link in and people can log into the site.. :)