Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207994 times)

Barbara

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
I know I have said it before, but I think we should let this matter rest until the work is finished, and at least the owners have probably saved a piece of local history from complete oblivion.  Good luck to them!

Rachael

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
But Sooty, the work isnt completed, I think its unfair to judge untill the work is done .

twinkletoes

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
I just think they did all that work leveling it out and then covered it again, its a shame :-[

amazon

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
the paintwork on the front of the house looks good

can someone persuade them to paint the original windows on as in [ file 2208== 2831] virtual tour of marple
           would look ok if done right . i wonder if the owners are aware of all the interest that is being shown on this forum . come on somebody tell them . lets have feed back from them .

sooty2

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
Rachel, If you read my original post, it was about the whole vista. The trees and shrubbery not so much the house. It is so stark , bare and uninteresting. I know the council have a lot to answer for with the pavement widening. That area would be green and lush by this time of year blending in with Dan Bank. I think it looks awful and will never be the same or anything like it was when nature planted it. I now refer to it as, One Tree Hill !

Rachael

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
I honestly don't understand how you feel that way Sooty

The house was falling apart before work was started,  I think its looking great, and it isn't even finished yet, what would you prefer,  looking at a house that would eventually fallen to even more rack and ruin  as you come into Marple ,  or a house that someone has taken the time (  no matter how long ) to make good, make it liveable  and which I think is going to be an attractive property once finished .

The landscaping isn't even finished yet, so are your judgements not a little premature ?

I don't see how your case is rested  ... just yet !

sooty2

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 01:59:48 AM »
I started this topic, But as the leaves get greener, the whole area looks sadder.I rest my case.

twinkletoes

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
I mean land scaping, Sorry  ;D

Dave

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
What did they do to the scapping they did! :-[

What's scapping?   ???

heather

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
the paintwork on the front of the house looks good

Neil Smith

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 07:28:51 AM »
Seems as though they do a load of work, have a rest then do another, or maybe something else??????

twinkletoes

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
What on earth happened?! What did they do to the scapping they did! It a big pile of rubble again!!!!!!  :-[

Rachael

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:50:41 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it is it has certainly changed the whole vista. Not necessarily for the better

I dont agree, I think its going to look great when its finished  :)

Neil Smith

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »
I really hope that one day in the future, maybe 5 years, maybe 10, that you'll drive from Offerton with your children and pull up at the lights at 17 Windows and say " That house has such an indelible mark on Marple's history, and if it wasn't for the present owners you'd've not have had the same banner to welcome you home that I'd've had for the last 30-40 years....did you know 2 centuries ago people used to sit in the loft and weave silk....yeah.... you think that's good wait till I show you the remains of the other textile buildings around here.... "
I don't know about you but 17 windows and the sweep up through Dan Bank and it's 'tunnel' of trees* has always welcomed me home, and I would like to congratulate the owners of 17 Windows for giving the building a new lease of life. And any of you lot who think they've spoiled things by putting an extension on the side and knocked down a few trees to build a drive want to think about Marple Hall, Stone Row, Woodville,the Jolly Sailor and any number of historic buildings that no-one could be arsed with. Please, there are so many beautiful parts of Marple; but even in my short lifetime we've lost so so many that it really is so sad that people can be arguing over the renovation of what is such a landmark, such a homecoming building as 17 windows; and I for one would rather see an extension, a bit of rendering and a drive way than lose another of Marple's historic buildings.
But hey, I'm probably living in the past - let's just let  them all fall to rack n' ruin and ....um oh yeah and once we've got rid of it we'll build another 6 Barratt homes there.

* that tunnel seems to have widened, much to my chagrin.

;D clap clap clap

Barbara

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
I don't know who owns the house, but I think it looks great, and I wish them well.  I don't envy them living near such a busy junction, but good luck to them.
Don't you think we should draw line under this particular topic?  The Dan Bank issue is quite another thing.
Cheers, Barbara