Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207003 times)

sooty2

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
Sorry Amazon, I am refering to the Stockport Dan bank website as mentiond by Tony Jones and the newsletter 5 update recieved thruogh the door yesterday.Please refer to admin post on april 8th.

amazon

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
How can such ill informed twaddle go to print ,from a so called reliable source, beats me, anyone agree!

Who Are you refering to . 

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
my 2 pennieth worth..
it was a historic house b4 ..but vile and horrible and tatty and knackered and messy.. didnt want to lose it but.....
and now its quite  modern looking thing... smart and attractive and open
isnt it great that old things can be reinvented and continued.  Isnt that why old buildings in hte past have been able to continue and exist to present day? The work is of a high standard so that house is here for the next generation or 2 unless the council buy it to knock it down!!

the excavation work... Wow.. so exciting :) Kids love it!! makes the junction so much more open and light... And note they havent removed all the trees...  its been done with care.. whoever owns the house cares for it and the area... I reckon it will look great when its finished and will be a vast improvement.  though I expect it will need wearing in a bit B4 it blends

Not all new things are bad and not all historic things are gorgeous or worth keeping ! Not all change is bad...

BrokenBiscuit

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 02:33:10 AM »
I really hope that one day in the future, maybe 5 years, maybe 10, that you'll drive from Offerton with your children and pull up at the lights at 17 Windows and say " That house has such an indelible mark on Marple's history, and if it wasn't for the present owners you'd've not have had the same banner to welcome you home that I'd've had for the last 30-40 years....did you know 2 centuries ago people used to sit in the loft and weave silk....yeah.... you think that's good wait till I show you the remains of the other textile buildings around here.... "
I don't know about you but 17 windows and the sweep up through Dan Bank and it's 'tunnel' of trees* has always welcomed me home, and I would like to congratulate the owners of 17 Windows for giving the building a new lease of life. And any of you lot who think they've spoiled things by putting an extension on the side and knocked down a few trees to build a drive want to think about Marple Hall, Stone Row, Woodville,the Jolly Sailor and any number of historic buildings that no-one could be arsed with. Please, there are so many beautiful parts of Marple; but even in my short lifetime we've lost so so many that it really is so sad that people can be arguing over the renovation of what is such a landmark, such a homecoming building as 17 windows; and I for one would rather see an extension, a bit of rendering and a drive way than lose another of Marple's historic buildings.
But hey, I'm probably living in the past - let's just let  them all fall to rack n' ruin and ....um oh yeah and once we've got rid of it we'll build another 6 Barratt homes there.

* that tunnel seems to have widened, much to my chagrin.

sooty2

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »
How can such ill informed twaddle go to print ,from a so called reliable source, beats me, anyone agree!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »
If this were to make any sense surely they must mean creating a continuous pavement between Hilltop Drive and Shearwater Drive, in other words all the way from the top of Dan Bank down the hill and back up the other side (past 17 Windows) to near the bus stop at the top of Marple Old Road. Amazing how a few words can cause so much confusion! I'll be watching develoments with renewed interest  :-\
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Nowhere near as most marple residents probably know. Oh no ! not another mystery.

amazon

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
Is marple hall drive and shearwater drive near seventeen windows .just checked on google earth dont look right . 

tonyjones

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:27 AM »
Taken from Stockport's Dan Bank web site:-

Work is currently taking place on the northern side of Marple Road at the junction where Marple Road meets Offerton Road. The work involves widening the footpath which goes along the front of the property known locally as 17 Windows. The widening of the footpath will then provide better access between Marple Hall Drive and the Shearwater Road area for pedestrians.

amazon

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
"how would you like it someone started a forum about your house that you had spent a lot of money on" How very childish, This post was about the flora and fauna and natural beauty of the area that has been lost, the building site is secondary! I and no other member of the marple forum will live long enough to see the seventeen windows and Dan Bank area return to its former glory. Long live Leylandii for a quick fix.

critisize when its finished .

twinkletoes

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
Its better than been left to rot away! :-X

Neil Smith

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »
"how would you like it someone started a forum about your house that you had spent a lot of money on" How very childish, This post was about the flora and fauna and natural beauty of the area that has been lost, the building site is secondary! I and no other member of the marple forum will live long enough to see the seventeen windows and Dan Bank area return to its former glory. Long live Leylandii for a quick fix.

Sooty2 I have to disagree with you there, from 17 windows down to the lights at dooley lane  looks so messy, from a very bad road to the verges that are just a litter trap, hopefully they [17 windows owners] will make there property something for everyone in Marple to be hold there heads up for.

sooty2

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

twinkletoes

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
Thankyou mark for agreeing with me xx Who ever has bought the house must have quite a bit of money behind them, it must have cost them a bomb.  8)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »
Alfred, I've moved your enquiry here, into the topic that is already being discussed.

I must agree that it is unreasonable to criticise the landscape works until they are finished. A well landscaped garden may well enhance the approach to Marple for the better, especially once any planting has had chance to mature and blend in. Let's hope so anyway.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website