Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Co-op Crossing  (Read 3614 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Co-op Crossing
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
Good evening

This particular area is Marple South so I will ask Cllrs Aron Thornley, Colin Macalister and Shan Alexander to look into this and report back on here.

Kind regards

Steve

GM

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »
My first choice was slalom, but it just didn't look right even though it's spelled correctly.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »
Now that it is finished and the new double yellow (ignore) lines are painted on, there does seem to be a bit of a chicane that wasn't there before on the co-op side.

I was driving so wasn't able to take a comparison photo.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »
To me, the dimensions of the crossing look exactly the same as they did before. However, when there is a "convenience" store, people will park on the double-yellows in the road instead of using the nearest car parks, just to pop in. It's not as if there aren't car parks at the store. It doesn't help that Chadwick Street is closed for the Covid-testing site, but even if it was open, people would still be selfish and park where it inconveniences other people.

When it opened (before their car park was ready) the Co-op had big banners saying they'd refund the cost of parking...  Still people still parked on the double yellows.

Still, everyone knows it's perfectly fine to park on double yellows as long as you have your hazard lights on!

Howard

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »
To me, the dimensions of the crossing look exactly the same as they did before. However, when there is a "convenience" store, people will park on the double-yellows in the road instead of using the nearest car parks, just to pop in. It's not as if there aren't car parks at the store. It doesn't help that Chadwick Street is closed for the Covid-testing site, but even if it was open, people would still be selfish and park where it inconveniences other people.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 05:23:10 PM »
When I went past on Saturday all the problems were caused by people parking on double yellows.
When I was there recently I thought the problems were mainly caused by the bollards in the road while the work was being done.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 03:15:12 PM »
I think we are all aware of how it looked before, the kink is definitely more pronounced and makes the road narrower.

When cars are parked on the opposite side its causing more difficulty for passing vehicles, especially buses and other larger vehicles. I'm sure the final finishing touch will be bollards.

When I went past on Saturday all the problems were caused by people parking on double yellows.

GM

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
I think we are all aware of how it looked before, the kink is definitely more pronounced and makes the road narrower.

When cars are parked on the opposite side its causing more difficulty for passing vehicles, especially buses and other larger vehicles. I'm sure the final finishing touch will be bollards.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
Sorry but I can't join the "Aren't the Highways team useless!" conversation because I really cannot see ANY difference between what is being done right now and what's been there for years. I'm not sure what you're all looking at cos when I looked at it on Saturday it seemed pretty much as it was, but with roadworks for the entrance to the Co-op.

Maybe I'm missing some big smoking gun and I admit I haven't been out with a tape measure.  But here's Google Streetview from 2009 and I'm at a complete loss.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3930256,-2.0645735,3a,75y,118.71h,78.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDmjhbn4qiCczeMpHLLvWwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jimblob

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »
As the new crossing takes shape, it seems as though Stockport Council have let there road planning department loose again.

It’s not just the weird shape of the footpath & crossing areas, but the way it narrows on both sides of the road making it very difficult for passing traffic, let alone larger vehicles and buses to move easily.

Even before it’s completion it has become dangerous when cars are parked in the bays outside the dentist and accountants. Why do I have the feeling it is all intentional, so they can justify Stockport’s only solution to absolutely everything… Speed humps and 20mph!.
Stockport Highways team need to be challenged and held to account before they create yet another mess.
Councillors, please can someone step in here before it's too late?

andrewbowden

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 07:39:16 PM »
Church Lane Coop?  Other than the roadworks and people parking on double yellows, nothing looks particularly different to what was there before, to me?

Cyberman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 04:45:21 PM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning when I tried to cross from the Precinct side. If the vehicles parked at the roadside are vans or 4x4's it's impossible to see what's coming without sticking your head out, and because it's narrow vehicles pass very close to the kerb. Not good at any time, and worse if you have a dog or small child. Not sure what the solution is however. A pelican crossing would do it, but it's rather O.T.T.

GM

Co-op Crossing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
As the new crossing takes shape, it seems as though Stockport Council have let there road planning department loose again.

It’s not just the weird shape of the footpath & crossing areas, but the way it narrows on both sides of the road making it very difficult for passing traffic, let alone larger vehicles and buses to move easily.

Even before it’s completion it has become dangerous when cars are parked in the bays outside the dentist and accountants. Why do I have the feeling it is all intentional, so they can justify Stockport’s only solution to absolutely everything… Speed humps and 20mph!.