Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Rollins Lane and Brabyns Park  (Read 3534 times)

CTCREP

Re: Rollins Lane and Brabyns Park
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 12:26:24 PM »
I really can't understand why Dave is opposed to upgrading Rollins Lane etc,     Rollins Lane and the path through Brabyns Park is an obvious route to provide a cycling and walking connection between Marple and Compstall both for commuting and leisure.  At present the road in Brabyms Park is getting some attention, it is to be hoped they will continue through to Compstall Road., and If not, Why not, particularly when the Government is trying to persude Councils to enable people to cycle or walk instead of using their cars. 

If the argument is that they do not have the  funds for esential services, they appear to have found sufficient funds to upgrade several lenghts of Bridleway in the Mellor Strines area, none of which could be considered essential.

Dave

Re: Rollins Lane and Brabyns Park
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 05:43:05 PM »
First, an apology for my typo there, in the blue bit that CTREP quoted. The Countryside Act was 1968, not 1928!  But that's still a long time ago......

On CTREP's broader point about the desirability of upgrading Rollins Lane, I don't disagree.  However, if the law were to be 'updated' to require local authorities to resurface bridleways so that they are good enough for comfortable cycling, that would create significant additional costs for local authorities which are already struggling to maintain essential services following the drastic cuts imposed in the Cameron/ Osborne austerity programme ten years ago.  And the combined effect of Covid and Brexit will only make the situation even worse.  So don't hold your breath"! 

CTCREP

Rollins Lane and Brabyns Park
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:36:39 PM »
This is a continuation of a discussion that started about Etherow Country Park which was to have a relatively little used road upgraded wgich is mainly used for leisure, while the Council efuses to upgrade Rollins Lane that would allow ordinary pedesrians and cyclists living in Compstall to access Marple Station and Marple Hall School etc.  Please read on.

Dave’s reply to my post on the Etherow Country Park issue I have copied here to keep the two issues separate.

Rollins Lane is a public right of way. It is a bridleway, which horse riders, cyclists and walkers are permitted to use.  SMBC are legally responsible for maintaining it to a standard appropriate for horse riders”.

This is what I have always been told by the Council, and the Council always caters for horse riders ignoring the fact that the Rollins Lane and other Bridleways is also used by Cyclists and Walkers. 

Indeed, but that is not because the council chooses to cater for horse riders and ignores cyclists and walkers - it is simply what the law dictates.   The relevant law is section 30 of the Countryside Act (1928):  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41.

"Riding of pedal bicycles on bridleways.
Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, [F107not being a mechanically propelled vehicle], on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.   The rights conferred by this section shall not affect the obligations of the highway authority, or of any other person, as respects the maintenance of the bridleway, and this section shall not create any obligation to do anything to facilitate the use of the bridleway by cyclists."

Although the law is as stated, it is not unusual for laws not to get updated.  Currently the Government is trying to persuade more people to Walk or Cycle instead of using their cars.  This means that routes should be found wherever possible for people to comply with their wishes.  In the case of Rollins Lane and the Path through Brabyns Park it is obviously a route that people could take to access Marple Station, Marple Hall School etc   At present it is unacceptable because it is only suitable for horses, the riders of which are unlikely to ride all the way to work etc.  So in this instance Cyclists and Walkers should take precedence. 

For the Council to rely on an Outdated Law and refuse to cater for their residents by ignoring the Government’s recommendation shows a distinct lack of understanding of how the world is changing.