Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Suspension of train services from Rose Hill  (Read 10866 times)

FoRHS142

Re: Suspension of train services from Rose Hill
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
Good question but there was a lot of pressure on Northern to open up the line via Hyde earlier than the planned date of December 14th and this timetable goes some way to resolving the issue. The next issue is to put pressure on what sort of train service we get from December 14th, currently showing as a mix of one hour and half hour.
We have just submitted the attached summary document as a way of keeping the pressure up.Let us know if you would like to see the full 25 page version.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

amazon

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2020, 09:01:40 PM »
Also to note that the Station area has been cleaned and the building given a fresh coat of paint.
If you have to travel, please consider this option of using Rose Hill Station.

Thanks
So what was all the fuss about .how many did it inconveniece .

FoRHS142

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2020, 03:03:29 PM »
Also to note that the Station area has been cleaned and the building given a fresh coat of paint.
If you have to travel, please consider this option of using Rose Hill Station.

Thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2020, 06:04:08 AM »
Starting from Monday 26 October 2020, Northern will be reintroducing a Monday to Saturday train service between Manchester Piccadilly and Rose Hill.

For more information visit: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/RoseHill2020

Here's a direct link to the timetable: https://d11vpqhghel6qd.cloudfront.net/images/Rose_Hill_Service_Returns_-_Customer_Leaflet_Email.pdf

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Henrietta if you scroll back in this thread you’ll find the temporary timetable in a post by Admin. As you’ll see it’s three trains per day in each direction, plus special buses for the schoolchildren, so as far as Marple Hall is concerned it should work OK.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »
so there will be 2 a day.

Does that mean one in AM & one in PM or 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.

And if the former applies only one evening train and it's organised for adult commuters what happens to those school children  who have to wait a few hours. Will schools be required to make arrangements for pupils to be entertained and kept out of mischief? Not all school children have mothers who drive and have access to a car and are available to deliver and collect their children?

wheels

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
Good to see the facts put before us all Malcolm thank you.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
Comments on this site and elsewhere have focused on who should take credit for what is quite a special result. I think we should be focusing on what went right and why this was such a success. People might be interested in some detail on this story. The large part of the credit for all of this should go to 2 groups. Firstly the Friends of Rose Hill station, who instigated the whole campaign. They alerted people and with the tremendous help from the Friends groups at Marple and Romiley, along with the GVRUA, got other people involved, gained the support of influential people and groups, wrote letters, planned campaigns, press and publicity and, crucially marshalled the facts to prove that Northern’s arguments were flawed. This group was also responsible for developing the 90 minutes service solution, with the full detail of a worked up timetable that was ultimately adopted by Northern. The idea came from the combined friends groups, no one else. During the campaign, some groups joined the bandwagon without ever notifying or involving the Friends, some influential individuals failed to deliver on meetings and others wrote to the Friends group to say they’d tried but progress was impossible. Despite this, the Friends never gave up and as a group of volunteers they should be treasured by our community.

No one has highlighted the background that allowed the Marple Area committee to call an extraordinary meeting. This used an arcane part of the council constitution which gave powers to call Northern to account and allowed the Friends groups and local councillors to question them in public - the only time this happened - and reveal their arguments flew in the face of facts and data. This undermined Northern’s approach and skilfully brought in TfGM as experts to discredit Northern for their failure to consider a range of reasonable alternatives. The basis of this meeting came from a part of the Constitution that has never been used before. I know how it was found and how it was developed, and that the council didn’t know how to structure the meeting initially and who advised them how to do it. This meeting ended with admittedly a rather bizarre solution but not without precedent. As a trained professional negotiator in my past I know that if you want to leverage an alternative plan you have to be prepared to carry it through and show that you’ve done the work to do so. At the time of Northern’s U-turn the meeting had used its powers to get council officers engaged with Northern, TfGM and the rail operators to talk about how a plan developed by a small group of amateurs was going to do what Northern couldn’t, despite all their expertise and resources.

In making the U-turn the government Rail Minister was factually incorrect in some of the things he said. He failed to research the correspondence received by his boss Grant Shapps the Transport Minister. This included a letter from 11 local Lib Dem councillors which received a full reply from Grant Shapps. The Rail minister is not the first who has presented incorrect information in justifying a U-turn. He missed other contacts by local councillors too, an error which was maybe more understandable if he didn't understand local structures, but made the depth of his untruths even worse. Those people who have chosen to circulate these false assertions, without checking, have proved the truth of the adage “a lie is halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on“. This incident has also proved the adage a victory has 1000 parents whereas a defeat is an orphan.

The second group that deserves credit for this success is the people of Marple. Around an eighth of the total population of our town signed the Lib Dem petition but more importantly took the trouble to write to MPs, Ministers, the Manchester Mayor, TfGM and generally register their articulate, reasoned objections. Our community of residents should be proud to have proved that a passionate justified and well-organised campaign can overturn a Government decision. That should be celebrated.

Condate

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:15 AM »
Note that in other nearby places (including the town my user name represents) have had rather different changes.

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/18719410.northern-hail-train-timetable-change-beginning-new-normal/?ref=ebln

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2020, 02:07:00 AM »
Not sure whether anyone has picked up on this.

My laptop has been sulking and I haven't been able to get to the library so I spent a considerable time trying to find out who was responsible for the flyers which were around Marple.

Obviously, the person who put the flyers up wasn't aware that not everyone has access to computers. It would have been helpful
if a "land-line" had been included. I'm aware that this is the 21st century but there are still people who don't have access to
computers.

I have only just got mine back from the 'puter hospital and discovered that what I had to say was really too late as the discussion
in the H of P had already taken part. Anyway, I sent it anyway, for what it's worth.

Please when you want to make people to support your cause PLEASE remember that not all people in Marple have access to computers.

Inability to play with a computer doesn't mean disinterest on the part of the rest of the world.

Dave

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2020, 03:48:09 PM »
I would be therefore amazed if anyone from labour said anything positive about anything the lib Dems had come up with!   ;D.

Point taken. But the LibDems plan was still bonkers!  ;)

andrewbowden

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2020, 07:35:28 PM »

Howard's second link is interesting for its rubbishing of the extraordinary scheme which the LibDems came up with - the one which proposed blowing £30,000 of our money on what is justifiably described as a week-long vanity project-cum-gimmick'!   Thankfully that has died a natural death!   

Don't forget that there is an election next year, and the parties most likely to lead the council afterwards are labour or the lib dems.

Frankly I would be therefore amazed if anyone from labour said anything positive about anything the lib Dems had come up with!   ;D

Dave

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »
Yes it seems all the politicians are claiming a share of the credit for getting the service partially restored.  And there was certainly a degree of cross-party co-operation  between our MP and Andrew Gwynne, Labour MP for Denton and Reddish, which is good to see.

Howard's second link is interesting for its rubbishing of the extraordinary scheme which the LibDems came up with - the one which proposed blowing £30,000 of our money on what is justifiably described as a week-long vanity project-cum-gimmick'!   Thankfully that has died a natural death!   

Howard

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »
Some services will continue to run on the Rose Hill line after all!

"William Wragg, our local Member of Parliament, has secured concessions from Northern Rail which means that services from Rose Hill-Manchester Piccadilly will not completely grind to a halt on Monday":

https://www.williamwragg.org.uk/news/william-wragg-mp-saves-rose-hill-marple-line-closure

"Labour-led Stockport Council works with government, local MPs and Northern Trains to find last minute solution reinstating two additional services and promising 90-minute service from late October":

https://saverosehill.co.uk/news/stockport-labour-work-cross-party-to-save-rose-hill-services/

Impressed how quickly their web sites were updated!

Interesting to see WW claiming HE saved the service whereas Stockport Labour talks about working cross-party. Not sure whether it really matters now, but this is the difference between parliamentary and local politics.

wheels

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
This recently appeared on one of Andrew GWynne sites.

From the beginning of half-term on 26 October, Northern intends to introduce a temporary 90-minute interval service from Rose Hill to Manchester via Fairfield across the day and ending in the evening.