Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Walk Ride GM  (Read 3919 times)

wheels

Re: Walk Ride GM
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
Re the Overstretched Council which, it has been suggested, is too busy to cater for Marple residents who may wish to walk or cycle to Marple Station etc.  I have now found what the Council has been busy doing.

The little used footpath between Windy Bottom Farm and Strines Station has been upgraded considerably and the Council has ensured that the majority of people using wheels as part of their transport, such as a push chair or mobility scooter will be barred from using it.

Why is this Council so ready to upgrade large sections of little used outlying areas of Marple and yet refuse to upgrade short lengths of footpath that lead to Marple Station etc. that would help reduce local car journeys in line with Government's wishes.

I think the key point is in your second paragraph  that  the footpath at from Windy Bottom Far and Strines Station is indeed a Footpath,  actually a very well used footpath and one you on a pedal cycle are not meant to be cycling along and thus should be barred from using it. You now seem to be criticising the Council for doing the right thing.

As for Rolling Lane as you have been given the answer many times obsessed is a word that comes to mind.

amazon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
Re the Overstretched Council which, it has been suggested, is too busy to cater for Marple residents who may wish to walk or cycle to Marple Station etc.  I have now found what the Council has been busy doing.

The little used footpath between Windy Bottom Farm and Strines Station has been upgraded considerably and the Council has ensured that the majority of people using wheels as part of their transport, such as a push chair or mobility scooter will be barred from using it.

Why is this Council so ready to upgrade large sections of little used outlying areas of Marple and yet refuse to upgrade short lengths of footpath that lead to Marple Station etc. that would help reduce local car journeys in line with Government's wishes.
Because its not private .

CTCREP

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »

[attachment deleted by admin]

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 05:59:08 PM »
There is a Consultation for the Heatons, but why not one for each of the different ares of Stockpor?  Surely all Stockport residents should have an opportunity to discuss ways of making it easier to cycle of walk in their area and not for the Council to cherry pick their own preferences. For those who look at the Romiley Consultation will see how many proposals have been put forward by local residents.

The Government is trying to get more people cycling and leaving their cars at home, and for Marple residents there are two major routes that need considering - the Alan Newton Way into Stockport that appears to have stalled yet again, and the link from the Middlewood Way to the Manchester Airport Ring Road.  Both of these would benefit people working in either areas. Besides these there is my personal preference of Rollins Lane that would enable people to cycle or walk between Compstall and Marple Station, Marple Centre and Marple Hall School. There may well be other routes that Marple rsesidents would like to see improved.  Why are they not being given th opportunity?

All these routess would also benefit the Marple area itself by encourageing more non motorised visitors.

wheels

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »
I think there is a similar Council page for the Heaton. I would have thought that two areas The Heaton and Romiley is more than enough your over stretched council staff to deal with initially.

CTCREP

Walk Ride GM
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »
The Government has provided £3.1 million to make Walking and Cycling Safer in the Greater Manchester area.  Part of this money will come to Stockport. There are several Web Sites related to the subject but this one https://romiley.commonplace.is which is for the Romiley area appears to be supported by Stockport Council, but I can't find an equivalent one for Marple. Why not. It is obviously essential that local knowledge is used to determine where some of this money is used and at present it looks as though none will come to the Marple Area.

Several Gouncillors attended a Marple Walk Ride opening meeting in April but since then we have heard no more. Apart from needing a Stockport MBC facility similar to the Romiley one, we also need updates on this Website. 

Anyone who has any influence over what goes on in Marple will they please ensure the residents of Marple have theri say.