A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Door Knocking Request for sponsorship - beware!!! Woodville Drive 2.45 Thurs  (Read 2485 times)

amazon

Amazon, the original post was warning us of a potential scam. Somehow a discussion about racism followed and my comments were in relation to that.

Seeing as you are keen to know, no, I don’t buy from doorstep callers or sponsor people that randomly turn up at my house.
Thank you .

Newbie1

Amazon, the original post was warning us of a potential scam. Somehow a discussion about racism followed and my comments were in relation to that.

Seeing as you are keen to know, no, I don’t buy from doorstep callers or sponsor people that randomly turn up at my house.

amazon

It is not racist to state someone’s race. 

Colour blindness is an issue however.     I am white and therefore have white privilege.  The colour of my skin has never impacted negatively on my life.  People of colour do not have the same privilege.  By not “seeing” the colour of their skin, it is a failure to recognise that their life may at some point have already been, or could in the future be negatively impacted by their race.
Would you buy from these people

andy+kirsty

The Police do use heritage (or perceived heritage) when identifying people. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_codes

Newbie1

It is not racist to state someone’s race. 

Colour blindness is an issue however.     I am white and therefore have white privilege.  The colour of my skin has never impacted negatively on my life.  People of colour do not have the same privilege.  By not “seeing” the colour of their skin, it is a failure to recognise that their life may at some point have already been, or could in the future be negatively impacted by their race.

marplerambler

I put on the initial post. Am I a racist? About 15 years ago I was sent by my employer on a 'racial awareness' seminar and ended up having a horrendous row. Why? I spent the morning as part of the same group and struck up a friendship with a really pleasant guy. After lunch I was asked how he was different from me and I answered truthfully. ' My answer was that he had a super Yorkshire accent. Anything else??? What do you mean??? What is the most obvious difference?? Oh, he is twenty years younger than me. What else?? What do you mean?? reply 'you are deliberately ignoring the fact that he is Asian descent!!' I couldn't give a damn if you believe me or not the fact of the matter was he was Yorkshire born and bred registered and it didn't even cross my mind that he was Asian descent and he then got really angry that I hadn't noticed and stated 'I discriminated because I didn't recognise his Pakistani origin'. Again, I couldn't give a damn if you believe it or not but three of my closest friends have different ethnic origins - one is Ugandan Asian descent, one is Pakistani descent and one is Malasian. You can play the 'black lives matter card' but I have a totally clear conscience as far as racial discrimination goes. I only notice race when a person is not wearing non-western clothing which is a clear statement to all that he/she is of a different ethnic group and even then the only response from me is 'so what?Big Deal!'. If you are looking for racism you are wasting your time looking in this direction.

mabel

Mabel
If I saw someone breaking into your house and you or the police asked me for a description and my reply was “Oh I couldn’t possibly describe them as someone may chose to be offended by my description “how would you feel on the matter?

The description helps to identify the person, it is not an offence (yet) to describe what you see.
I notice that you only object to the word Asian, interesting…

And as to your vailed threat to report to “the Black Lives Matter movement”, stop trying to align yourself with a political movement to try and look good, it never works.

You seem to have misunderstood this Graham, and I there was no veiled threat.

Condate

Mabel
If I saw someone breaking into your house and you or the police asked me for a description and my reply was “Oh I couldn’t possibly describe them as someone may chose to be offended by my description “how would you feel on the matter?

The description helps to identify the person, it is not an offence (yet) to describe what you see.

And as to your vailed threat to report to “the Black Lives Matter movement”, stop trying to align yourself with a political movement to try and look good, it never works.

I think the issue might be the totally vague description "Asian" which could be anything from Turkish to Japanese.  If the description had been "A man, about 20, around 5' 5" with long hair. Of Indian Sub-continent appearance" (obviously I don't know if that is correct), it might have been better. Just putting (Asian descent) is as pointless and saying (White), it doesn't really narrow it down very much. It makes sense to describe the person's appearance, but just specifying the race and not were they tall or short; thin or fat; long or short hair, does seem a bit odd.

Graham

Mabel

Howard

Defining anyone simply by one characteristic, be it age, race, religion, gender etc shouldn't really be the way we are heading in 2020.

I just had a young man (Asian descent)

Young...male..Asian... That's three characteristics if I count correctly. We shouldn't be afraid of defining someone's description from their characteristics. People would probably describe me as a white, middle-aged male. It would be more strange if we said I was male, middle-aged but "sorry, I didn't notice his race".

mabel

I appreciate your point, but I think it's unlikely that the police would issue a wanted notice which simply stated someone's colour or race.  I think the Black Lives Matter movement might have something to say about that!

Marple is predominantly white, and perhaps we all need to be a little more aware of this issue.  Defining anyone simply by one characteristic, be it age, race, religion, gender etc shouldn't really be the way we are heading in 2020.

ROTHERS

Was the fact he was of Asian descent relevant?

This is not an attack, but I think it's important to consider why it was mentioned.

To help people identify the person when someone knocks on their door ?? - the same way the Police do ??

amazon

This is not an attack, but I think it's important to consider why it was mentioned.
No matter what colour they are they should not be selling especially when they have no ID

mabel

amazon

Thursday 2.45pm bottom of Woodville Drive. I just had a young man (Asian descent) asking for sponsorship for a Manchester University marathon stating that he would run for a charity of my choice. I asked him to hold on while I did a quick check on my computer but he must have fled at sprinting rather than marathon pace because there was absolutely no sign of him a couple of minutes later when I returned to front door. If he knocks on your door check that he is bona fide before parting with your cash.
There are a few around trying to get you to sign up for grants for loft and cavity wall .