Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Support our Cinema and Theatre  (Read 1151 times)

Howard

Re: Support our Cinema and Theatre
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
Please explain what a "crowdfunding campaign" is? How does one help?

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet. It's an alternative form of finance rather than using the traditional banks and venture capital funds.

There have been similar concepts executed through mail-order subscriptions, benefit events, and other methods, but crowdfunding refers to Internet-mediated registries. This modern crowdfunding model is generally based on three types of individual: the project initiator who proposes the idea or project to be funded; individuals or groups who support the idea; and a moderating organization (the "platform") that brings the parties together to launch the idea. In the case of our local entertainment facilities, the platform is "justgiving.com".

Crowdfunding has been used successfully to fund a wide range of for-profit, entrepreneurial ventures such as artistic and creative projects, medical expenses, travel, and community-oriented social entrepreneurship projects. However, like many new ideas its use has also been criticised for funding quackery, especially costly and fraudulent cancer treatments.

If you wanted to donate to this initiative then you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/andrea-watson

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:49:43 AM »
Please explain what a "crowdfunding campaign" is? How does one help?

I remember seeing "Snow White" at a matinee at "The Regent" in the early 1950s when I was about 4 years old and being disgusted because the manager stood in front of the screen and, in a very patronising voice, explained that the witch wasn't real so we needn't be frightened. I'd be sorry to see it go. It's the second time it's been threatened. It nearly became a bingo hall way back when, but it was saved by the skin of its teeth.

Likewise "The Carver". 2 generations of my family have been involved - my father acted in the 1920s & 1930s and I sewed pantomime costumes in the 1970s. Very elitist back then. One rehearsal night another seamstress and I where ejected from the bar because only "acting" members were proper members and therefore allowed in the bar and we were only back-stage staff so we weren't. I was sorely tempted to tell the person where the costumes would fit within his person!! It was the last straw and immediately after the panto finished I resigned.

Howard

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing this and I've just donated.

I've been going to both since I was five years old (queued down the road past the Liberal Club to see Star Wars in 1978!). I'm a season ticket holder at The Carver and a regular at The Regent. I can't imagine not having them around. The Regent is particularly good value at £5 per adult, Plus where else can you go that has an intermission and an ice cream tray?

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »
You don't have to pay rates if you only have one property, so they're probably not paying rates (assuming neither have an additional business property).

But there are, of course, many other costs like utilities, insurance, and so on.  And business continuity insurance - that many businesses take out to specifically guard against disruption like this - has generally not paid out.

Cyberman

Support our Cinema and Theatre
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:46:29 PM »
I learned recently (via Facebook) that a crowdfunding campaign has been started to support our local cinema and theatre through the current crisis. I think that both of these are real assets to Marple and it would be a great shame if they closed permanently. I assume they are still paying rates but have no income. Details here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/andrea-watson

Every little helps!