Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: TFGM Survey  (Read 1181 times)

CTCREP

Re: TFGM Survey
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
Agreed, I wish I could be doing the same, the days of my riding over the brickworks have gone I'm afraid. But how many more people would be willing to try cycling both for work as well as leisure if the Middlewood Way was really suitable.  Here are a couple of  pictures of a French equivalent, an old railway line between Annecy and Faverges.  The main track is for everyone, so people with pushchairs and the disabled can easily make their way along, with no necessity to try to clean the wheels if they have to put them into a car to be transported home.  The side gravel track is for those who don't want to walk on tarmac and of course the whole gets regular maintenance, unfortunately in Stockport we shall soonl be back to mud and worse on the track.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Victor M

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
I fully agree with these comments
Stockport MBC’s policy for catering for cyclists is practically zero  and even those “cycle facilities” they have installed often deter experienced cyclists rather than cater for them - motorists assume being outside the cycle lane is sufficient, forgetting they should be giving at least 1.5 metres clearance at all times.

As with many things Britain is way behind Europe in providing for the environment and it is essential any money coming to Stockport from TFGM is used to make significant improvements to our transport network, giving cycling and walking much greater priority and reducing the current emphasis on catering for cars etc.   

SMBC's response to cycling measures seems to hit a divide at the A6, West of the A6 there are some initiatives, East nothing.

But it was nice to see on Sunday that on my cycle ride to Bollington via Poynton and Pott Shrigley (not using the Middlewood Way) that I encountered more cyclists than cars on the roads!

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
116km of popup cycle lanes on the way, potentially looking at major corridors to the city centre like the A6.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/huge-116km-network-pop-up-18324035

There's a good chance some of this stuff could become permanent if people use it.  And a lot of people do travel to the city centre.

And once you have major corridors then what's the next obvious step?  Routes feeding into the major corridors.

I'm hoping that if one good thing comes out of this, it's a revolution in cycling.

CTCREP

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
TFGM are keen to provide cycle routes to enable people to cycle instead of using their cars, although some facilities may only be temporary.

As I have said earlier, it has also been recognised that pollution levels have dropped noticeably during this crisis and so many people believe the policy should be to create more permanent routes. However the current guidance is to create routes that are suitable for a competent 12 year old cyclist and wide enough for a double buggy.  If these are to be the main criteria then it will do nothing to enable people to cycle instead of using their cars.

Stockport MBC’s policy for catering for cyclists is practically zero  and even those “cycle facilities” they have installed often deter experienced cyclists rather than cater for them - motorists assume being outside the cycle lane is sufficient, forgetting they should be giving at least 1.5 metres clearance at all times.

As with many things Britain is way behind Europe in providing for the environment and it is essential any money coming to Stockport from TFGM is used to make significant improvements to our transport network, giving cycling and walking much greater priority and reducing the current emphasis on catering for cars etc.   

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 04:29:54 PM »
It has been noticed that Air Pollution is lower now fewer vehicles are on the road, so Transport for Greater Manchester is asking for our Comments about travelling before and after the current situation.  You can access the survey here https://surveys.tfgm.com/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=158986718538&site=5&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TfGM+-+Coronavirus+update+22%2F05++

Well golly-gosh! I would never have thought of that. (sarcasm off.)

amazon

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
It has been noticed that Air Pollution is lower now fewer vehicles are on the road, so Transport for Greater Manchester is asking for our Comments about travelling before and after the current situation.  You can access the survey here https://surveys.tfgm.com/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=158986718538&site=5&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TfGM+-+Coronavirus+update+22%2F05++
Thank you done

CTCREP

TFGM Survey
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »