Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Green Bins  (Read 13335 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Green Bins
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 12:30:42 PM »
Andrew, will you PLEASE stop being so reasonable. Don't you realise this is the point where you need to jump up and down and criticise people who are operating in incredibly difficult circumstances whilst trying to adapt a highly stretched organisation to a once-in-a-lifetime event? You should be joining in with the rest of the keyboard warriors, who are sitting safely in their houses.

Get with the programme, please.

I am duly chastised.

amazon

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
I read yesterday that a fifth - one in five - police officers are currently off work ill or isolating.

That's just the police.  How many bin staff are out of action right now?  Especially the drivers without which there can't be a bin collection.

It's quite probable the council had to move extremely quickly here, and that they have done it in a way that is sub-optimal because they had no choice.

I know I keep banging on about it but I will keep banging on about it.  This is not a normal time.  Remember that lots of people are doing their best right now in incredibly difficult circumstances.  It's easy to moan about things.  But I think we should be giving our heartfelt thanks to those people working now to keep things running as best as possible, even if things aren't perfect.

And if anyone is concerned about the fact that they have food waste in their bin, I can only suggest alternative to leaving it there.  Empty the bin, put the food waste in your black bin, and put the garden waste back in your green bin until it can be collected again.

if you can't do that - and not everyone will be able to - well it's not that hot outside right now.  Your food waste will survive for a few weeks in the middle of your bin without causing major problems.  Especially if its buried under garden waste.
Andrew whats wrong with composting garden waist .My Brother has a large councill garden at woodley he dosent use a green bin he composts it in a pile then when roted down it goes back on the garden .

wheels

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Our moaner in chief seems to have gone very quite at the moment. Must be keeping his powder dry for endless Council attacks later.

Howard

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:29 AM »
Andrew, will you PLEASE stop being so reasonable. Don't you realise this is the point where you need to jump up and down and criticise people who are operating in incredibly difficult circumstances whilst trying to adapt a highly stretched organisation to a once-in-a-lifetime event? You should be joining in with the rest of the keyboard warriors, who are sitting safely in their houses.

Get with the programme, please.

andrewbowden

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
That's where SMBC dropped the ball (surprise surprise). Giving people, what, 24/48hrs notice that the collections would be cancelled, meant that most bins would already have been filled before anyone knew that they wouldn't be emptied.

I read yesterday that a fifth - one in five - police officers are currently off work ill or isolating.

That's just the police.  How many bin staff are out of action right now?  Especially the drivers without which there can't be a bin collection.

It's quite probable the council had to move extremely quickly here, and that they have done it in a way that is sub-optimal because they had no choice.

I know I keep banging on about it but I will keep banging on about it.  This is not a normal time.  Remember that lots of people are doing their best right now in incredibly difficult circumstances.  It's easy to moan about things.  But I think we should be giving our heartfelt thanks to those people working now to keep things running as best as possible, even if things aren't perfect.

And if anyone is concerned about the fact that they have food waste in their bin, I can only suggest alternative to leaving it there.  Empty the bin, put the food waste in your black bin, and put the garden waste back in your green bin until it can be collected again.

if you can't do that - and not everyone will be able to - well it's not that hot outside right now.  Your food waste will survive for a few weeks in the middle of your bin without causing major problems.  Especially if its buried under garden waste.

marpleexile

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
And what do we do with the green bin that is currently full of a combination of food waste and garden cuttings ?

That's where SMBC dropped the ball (surprise surprise). Giving people, what, 24/48hrs notice that the collections would be cancelled, meant that most bins would already have been filled before anyone knew that they wouldn't be emptied.

ROTHERS

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
Garden waste that could go on a compost heap or a compost bin .not rocket science that
And what do we do with the green bin that is currently full of a combination of food waste and garden cuttings ?

amazon

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 07:52:01 PM »
Not rocket science is it
Week 1 green bin
Week 2 black bin
Week 3 blue  bin
Week 4 brown bin

Your hard working posties are still delivering, impossible for bin men to be 2 metres apart in their lorries.
Nice to no your still around  .keep safe

amazon

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:54 PM »
Except black bins are the smallest of the bins so many people will struggle with only having a monthly collection.

And let's be blunt here - a full green bin is a bin full of garden waste. garden waste is the output of a leisure activity.  You can't say the same about the contents of any other bin. If you have to priortise, I would have thought garden waste is the obvious answer.  People need to accept that this is not normal time and be considerate to the bin teams who are still working AND WORK TO REDUCE WASTE.
Garden waste that could go on a compost heap or a compost bin .not rocket science that

andrewbowden

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
I'm not necessiarily disagreeing, but given that an awful lot of us are now on enforced lesiure time (furlough) .......

I know and people will want to do things to keep themselves sane.  I do get that.  But we have to accept that life isn't normal and we will have to accept a lot of change for a while.

(I do have the opposite problem in that I am still working from home but also have two young children suddenly at home!)

marpleexile

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
And let's be blunt here - a full green bin is a bin full of garden waste. garden waste is the output of a leisure activity.

I'm not necessiarily disagreeing, but given that an awful lot of us are now on enforced lesiure time (furlough) .......

andrewbowden

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
Not rocket science is it
Week 1 green bin
Week 2 black bin
Week 3 blue  bin
Week 4 brown bin

Your hard working posties are still delivering, impossible for bin men to be 2 metres apart in their lorries.

Except black bins are the smallest of the bins so many people will struggle with only having a monthly collection.

And let's be blunt here - a full green bin is a bin full of garden waste. garden waste is the output of a leisure activity.  You can't say the same about the contents of any other bin. If you have to priortise, I would have thought garden waste is the obvious answer.  People need to accept that this is not normal time and be considerate to the bin teams who are still working AND WORK TO REDUCE WASTE.

red666bear

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
Not rocket science is it
Week 1 green bin
Week 2 black bin
Week 3 blue  bin
Week 4 brown bin

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
Good afternoon

Please see below for an update I posted following a reply from Council officers regarding green bin collections. I’m sorry I can’t be the bringer of good news at this time.

Steve

Good afternoon

Furather to my post yesterday regarding green bin collections, I have been informed that the Council are unable to carry out the request to collect green bins at present. Should this situation change we will of course update people as quickly as possible.

Thank you again for your patience during this period.

Kind regards

Steve

on behalf of your local Councillors.

andrewbowden

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
Closer to the original topic, one of the consequences of cutting collections is that we're likely to start having a cardboard shortage.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/31/uk-faces-cardboard-shortage-due-to-coronavirus-crisis

Obviously - for now - Stockport are still collecting paper and cardboard, just on a reduced schedule.  But make sure you keep recycling because we're going to need that cardboard!