Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Proposed withdrawl of the 375 bus route between Marple and Mellor  (Read 7648 times)

wheels

Re: Proposed withdrawl of the 375 bus route between Marple and Mellor
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
It would be interesting to know what the actual amount of money we are talking about being saved by the transport authority is. Perhaps Steve has that information?

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Can't actually see where it says it the Marple- Mellor section - is there some extra info somewhere? You may be right but the statements I can currently see are v general.

It's in the text of the first post in this thread.

The 375 is only subsidised between Marple and Mellor.  The Marple to Stockport section is commercially run by Stagecoach.  The assumption presumably is that they will continue to run that section after these changes.  Although whether anyone has asked them that is another matter.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
Another major drawback of Local Link is that it is, er, local.  The 375 has a vital role taking patients and hospital visitors to Stepping Hill. I know the 394 goes there too, but it only runs every two hours and it doesn’t serve Mellor.  This cut makes a mockery of the current government’s hollow claims about improving transport in the north and investing £5 million on new bus services 🙄

corium

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 04:17:28 PM »
Well from what I read on Twitter, the Marple to Mellor section of the 375 will soon be dead. 
https://twitter.com/cllrdavidm/status/1230847331110653954?s=19

Hope everyone in Mellor and Hawk Green is looking forward to having to book their travel at least an hour in advance, and make sure they get to the stop at least ten minutes before hand, and be hanging around for up to 20 minutes for the vehicle to turn up, because the joys of demand responsive travel are what is coming.

Can't actually see where it says it the Marple- Mellor section - is there some extra info somewhere? You may be right but the statements I can currently see are v general.

andrewbowden

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
Well from what I read on Twitter, the Marple to Mellor section of the 375 will soon be dead. 
https://twitter.com/cllrdavidm/status/1230847331110653954?s=19

Hope everyone in Mellor and Hawk Green is looking forward to having to book their travel at least an hour in advance, and make sure they get to the stop at least ten minutes before hand, and be hanging around for up to 20 minutes for the vehicle to turn up, because the joys of demand responsive travel are what is coming.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
The 375 is not only a service to link Mellor and Hawk Green to Marple and Marple/Rose Hill station: since the reduction of the 394 service to every two hours Monday to Friday the 375 has become our main link to Stepping Hill Hospital every hour including Saturdays and is the only link from Bosden Farm to Hazel Grove and Stepping Hill Hospital. Don't forget that many people visiting the hospital may not be able to drive for health reasons: many may receive treatment which would make driving home unsafe. Finding somewhere to park at Stepping Hill hospital is horrendous and is a horrendously expensive. There is a proposal that a replacement service could link Mellor, Marple and Hyde. This proposal really makes me question whether anyone on this committee has any knowledge of the transport needs of people in Marple. We used to have a bus link to Hyde, the 389 service and this was withdrawn a few years ago due to low passenger numbers which was hardly surprising. Who on earth wants to go from Marple to Hyde in the first place and much more importantly, if you did, who on earth would catch an infrequent bus service to Hyde which would take you all of the way around the houses when there is a train every half an hour from Rose Hill which only takes eleven minutes. No-one wants to ride all of the way around the mulberry bush on a 375 from Mellor/Marple all the way to Stockport but the service to the hospital is vital to the community: it is there that a replacement service should terminate. The Conservatives promised massive improvements in bus services as part of their election pledge - this is William Wragg's opportunity to demonstrate that Boris's pledge to improve vital bus services is not yet another expulsion of worthless hot air. We need a 375 bus from Mellor and Marple to Stepping Hill: our local politicians and MP have a duty to subsidize this service.
Let me just correct you the 389 service used to run a good while ago from stalybrige to marple i used to use when was working marple to woodley down george lane then to hyde going nott lane way then on to stalybridge it was a very good service left Marple 7 in a morning well used by work people .

marplerambler

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
The 375 is not only a service to link Mellor and Hawk Green to Marple and Marple/Rose Hill station: since the reduction of the 394 service to every two hours Monday to Friday the 375 has become our main link to Stepping Hill Hospital every hour including Saturdays and is the only link from Bosden Farm to Hazel Grove and Stepping Hill Hospital. Don't forget that many people visiting the hospital may not be able to drive for health reasons: many may receive treatment which would make driving home unsafe. Finding somewhere to park at Stepping Hill hospital is horrendous and is a horrendously expensive. There is a proposal that a replacement service could link Mellor, Marple and Hyde. This proposal really makes me question whether anyone on this committee has any knowledge of the transport needs of people in Marple. We used to have a bus link to Hyde, the 389 service and this was withdrawn a few years ago due to low passenger numbers which was hardly surprising. Who on earth wants to go from Marple to Hyde in the first place and much more importantly, if you did, who on earth would catch an infrequent bus service to Hyde which would take you all of the way around the houses when there is a train every half an hour from Rose Hill which only takes eleven minutes. No-one wants to ride all of the way around the mulberry bush on a 375 from Mellor/Marple all the way to Stockport but the service to the hospital is vital to the community: it is there that a replacement service should terminate. The Conservatives promised massive improvements in bus services as part of their election pledge - this is William Wragg's opportunity to demonstrate that Boris's pledge to improve vital bus services is not yet another expulsion of worthless hot air. We need a 375 bus from Mellor and Marple to Stepping Hill: our local politicians and MP have a duty to subsidize this service.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »
We’ve hit 1,000 signatures already, thanks for all those who have got involved and for those who intend to do so.

A tremendous community effort.

Kind regards

Steve

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »

Good afternoon fellow site members

I have just posted the following on social media sites.

I hope you will consider signing and sharing the petition.

Kind regards

Steve

***375 Bus***

Good afternoon

Thanks to so many who supported my comments yesterday regarding the potential removal of this vital service. I have met with the Council Transport strategy Officer today, he is in agreement that this cutback will be of significance to the area. I have a further meeting tomorrow with a TfGM representative and have contacted Mayor Burnham to find out why this wasn’t mentioned on his visit to Marple 4 weeks ago.
Your local Councillors will do all they can to fight this but your help would be very welcome. A petition has been set up to show our rejection of this proposal. Please sign it and share with as many people as possible. The last bus petition had just over 1000 signatures, I would like far more than that for this incredibly valuable local service.

The link is:

https://www.lisasmart.org.uk/save_the_375_bus
Thanks in anticipation for your support

Steve

corium

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
Despite obviously getting the wrong end of the stick of an array of local options, local link do not guarantee they will be available, seems to be more of a first come first served. More to the point the 375 is under threat, the 383/384 evening services have already been reduced, the train is pretty unreliable and yet we wonder why the traffic increases.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »
Amazon I can't comment accurately re R & R as I don't use it but a quick glance at the website suggests that many currently free journeys would have to be paid for, and that access to the service is quite restricted so for instance it will be no use to college students at the top end of Mellor.

Note that the proposed replacement service is NOT Ring and Ride. It is a Local Link service
https://tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/local-link

Fares are detailed on the above page.  As it states in my original post, System One bus tickets would be accepted.

corium

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
Does the ring and ride service not run anymore .

Amazon I can't comment accurately re R & R as I don't use it but a quick glance at the website suggests that many currently free journeys would have to be paid for, and that access to the service is quite restricted so for instance it will be no use to college students at the top end of Mellor.

Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:14 AM »
Thanks Steve - much appreciated.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »
Hello fellow site members, I have just posted this on several social media sites.

***375 Bus***

Good afternoon. Many people are now aware of the proposed cutting of the 375 bus service running through our area, notably Hawk Green and onto Mellor. My fellow Councillors and I oppose this strongly,

I have booked us a meeting with our Council Transport Strategy Officer tomorrow, a statement is being prepared to be read out at the TfGM meeting on Friday and I am due to attend a meeting in March where Mayor Burnham will be present and I will endeavour to raise this very important local issue.

We will do everything we can to keep this service running.

Kind regards

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »
Ring and Ride does still run.

Note that the proposed LocalLink replacement is basically Ring and Ride but for everyone.  You have to ring up at least an hour before hand and book yourself on to it.  LocalLink runs in several places across Greater Manchester, but obviously doesn't run to a timetable.  For some this may be better.  But not for everyone.