Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Proposed withdrawl of the 375 bus route between Marple and Mellor  (Read 538 times)

Steve Gribbon

• Councillor Marple North
    • Follow me on Twitter sgribbonlibdems
Re: Proposed withdrawl of the 375 bus route between Marple and Mellor
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:54:09 PM »
We’ve hit 1,000 signatures already, thanks for all those who have got involved and for those who intend to do so.

A tremendous community effort.

Kind regards

Steve
Councillor Marple North
Follow me on Twitter @sgribbonlibdems
Email: stevegribbonlibdems@gmail.com

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »

Good afternoon fellow site members

I have just posted the following on social media sites.

I hope you will consider signing and sharing the petition.

Kind regards

Steve

***375 Bus***

Good afternoon

Thanks to so many who supported my comments yesterday regarding the potential removal of this vital service. I have met with the Council Transport strategy Officer today, he is in agreement that this cutback will be of significance to the area. I have a further meeting tomorrow with a TfGM representative and have contacted Mayor Burnham to find out why this wasn’t mentioned on his visit to Marple 4 weeks ago.
Your local Councillors will do all they can to fight this but your help would be very welcome. A petition has been set up to show our rejection of this proposal. Please sign it and share with as many people as possible. The last bus petition had just over 1000 signatures, I would like far more than that for this incredibly valuable local service.

The link is:

https://www.lisasmart.org.uk/save_the_375_bus
Thanks in anticipation for your support

Steve
Councillor Marple North

corium

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
Despite obviously getting the wrong end of the stick of an array of local options, local link do not guarantee they will be available, seems to be more of a first come first served. More to the point the 375 is under threat, the 383/384 evening services have already been reduced, the train is pretty unreliable and yet we wonder why the traffic increases.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »
Amazon I can't comment accurately re R & R as I don't use it but a quick glance at the website suggests that many currently free journeys would have to be paid for, and that access to the service is quite restricted so for instance it will be no use to college students at the top end of Mellor.

Note that the proposed replacement service is NOT Ring and Ride. It is a Local Link service
https://tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/local-link

Fares are detailed on the above page.  As it states in my original post, System One bus tickets would be accepted.

corium

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
Does the ring and ride service not run anymore .

Amazon I can't comment accurately re R & R as I don't use it but a quick glance at the website suggests that many currently free journeys would have to be paid for, and that access to the service is quite restricted so for instance it will be no use to college students at the top end of Mellor.

Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:14 AM »
Thanks Steve - much appreciated.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »
Hello fellow site members, I have just posted this on several social media sites.

***375 Bus***

Good afternoon. Many people are now aware of the proposed cutting of the 375 bus service running through our area, notably Hawk Green and onto Mellor. My fellow Councillors and I oppose this strongly,

I have booked us a meeting with our Council Transport Strategy Officer tomorrow, a statement is being prepared to be read out at the TfGM meeting on Friday and I am due to attend a meeting in March where Mayor Burnham will be present and I will endeavour to raise this very important local issue.

We will do everything we can to keep this service running.

Kind regards

Steve

Councillor Marple North

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »
Ring and Ride does still run.

Note that the proposed LocalLink replacement is basically Ring and Ride but for everyone.  You have to ring up at least an hour before hand and book yourself on to it.  LocalLink runs in several places across Greater Manchester, but obviously doesn't run to a timetable.  For some this may be better.  But not for everyone.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »
As an occasional user based on my observations I would say it would cut off a lifeline for many local pensioners to get to the shops, let alone Stepping Hill...when it bothers to turn up. Thanks for highlighting this though
Does the ring and ride service not run anymore .

corium

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
As an occasional user based on my observations I would say it would cut off a lifeline for many local pensioners to get to the shops, let alone Stepping Hill...when it bothers to turn up. Thanks for highlighting this though

Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »
Thanks for spotting this Andrew. It’s extraordinary coming at a time when the talk at government level is of improving local transport, not making yet more cuts.

It may be that few people use the 375, but those who do use it really need it - it provides a vital service for residents of Hawk Green and Mellor who don’t (or prefer not to) drive. Are we serious about tackling climate change or not?

andrewbowden

Proposed withdrawl of the 375 bus route between Marple and Mellor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »
Tucked away in the agenda for Greater Manchester Transport Committee on 21 February, is this about the 375:
https://democracy.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=193&MId=3858&Ver=4
https://democracy.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk/documents/s5929/08%2020200221%20Forthcoming%20Changes%20to%20Bus%20Network%20-%20Part%20A.pdf

Service 375 provides an hourly Monday to Saturday daytime service between Mellor and Stockport, operating as a TfGM subsidised service between Mellor and Marple then extending commercially to Stockport since 2014.

The current contracts for the operation of this service end in April 2020. Officers recently issued tenders for the continued operation of this service, with a revised route operating between Mellor, Marple and Hyde, and unfortunately the best prices received represented a significant increase over the expiring contract which would have proved unsustainable due to the extremely high cost per passenger.

Consequently, Officers reissued the contracts, reducing the service to operate between Marple and Mellor only, in the hope this would bring costs within an acceptable level. Unfortunately, while this action did result in a lower price than the initial tender and marginally lower than the expiring contract, it still resulted in an extremely high cost per passenger which would make the service unsustainable.

Subsequently a Demand Responsive Local Link service will be introduced to offer access to the network where there are no alternatives (see Marple, Mellor and Hawk Green Local Link below)Members are asked to approve the above recommendation to withdraw subsidised service 375, to be partly replaced by a new Local Link service, with effect from Sunday 19th April 2020.

The financial implications of this proposal are shown in Part B.

The sketchy details of the replacement are:

This service will serve Marple centre and railway station, Mellor and Hawk Green. The service will run 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday but not on Bank Holidays. Customers can use concessionary passes (half fares for regular concessions and free for concession plus) and System One bus products. We are introducing this service to partially address the gap left by the withdrawal of service 375.  Members are asked to approve the introduction of the Marple, Mellor and Hawk Green Local Link from Monday 20th of April, 2020

Given few people ever seem to be on the 375, no doubt this will follow in a few years time by the proposed withdrawl of the Local Link service  :-\