Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Voting for Brexit  (Read 49807 times)

Cyberman

Re: Voting for Brexit
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
You KNOW!
With such powerful insight, how come you're pitching your speculations on Marple's Community forum and not advising Boris.
I KNOW it will affect me, because my boss has told me so. I work for a Japanese company - used to be a U.K. company but was taken oves several years ago. I tried many times to advise Boris via his local representative Mr. Wragg. And I don't desire to re-run 15 pages of comments - just saying that in my opinion the divisions in communities which caused the Brexit vote could now be a lot worse and if so I won't forgive the people who caused it.

jimblob

« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
Actually my comment was an attempt at humour - I know it's not done and I know we're ****ed. At best we'll have to stick to EU rules without having a say in them, and at worst it's no deal (sorry - Australian deal). The pound will tank, prices will go up, many well paid jobs in manufacturing will go with a huge hit on tax revenue at a time when BoJo has his promised "levelling up" projects to deliver. The sad thing is the majority of people who voted for this will be most ****ed. The only winners will be the likes of BoJo, Farage, Gove etc with fortunes in offshore funds.

If anyone thinks I should accept this without feeling bitter, they can **** themselves.
You KNOW!
With such powerful insight, how come you're pitching your speculations on Marple's Community forum and not advising Boris.

mikes

« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2020, 06:07:27 AM »
Here we go again. Perhaps we should go back to post one and rerun 15 pages of comments again.

Cyberman

« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2020, 09:48:11 PM »
Erm, but it’s not. Not even close.
Actually my comment was an attempt at humour - I know it's not done and I know we're ****ed. At best we'll have to stick to EU rules without having a say in them, and at worst it's no deal (sorry - Australian deal). The pound will tank, prices will go up, many well paid jobs in manufacturing will go with a huge hit on tax revenue at a time when BoJo has his promised "levelling up" projects to deliver. The sad thing is the majority of people who voted for this will be most ****ed. The only winners will be the likes of BoJo, Farage, Gove etc with fortunes in offshore funds.

If anyone thinks I should accept this without feeling bitter, they can **** themselves.

marpleexile

« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2020, 09:21:02 PM »
Quite right - let's accept that Brexit Is Done.

Erm, but it’s not. Not even close.

At best there is 11 months of nonsense until the end of the transition period, after which we’ll supposedly be living in a new world order, reaping the benefits of “the easiest trade deal in history” (or whatever the quote was).

In reality it’ll probably drag on for at least another couple of years as the government have opened their negotiating position with the EU by telling them to go **** themselves.

Then, once we finally have a trade deal, or finally give up and accept we’re ****ed, we can then start adjusting to to whatever the new normal is.

Brexit was always going to be a 15-20 year project…

Cyberman

« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »
Perhaps everyone could find something better and more constructive to do than bleat away on this thread ad nauseam
Quite right - let's accept that Brexit Is Done. With Dominic Cummings at the helm, we're well rid of those pesky unelected European Commissioners.

amazon

« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2020, 03:48:25 PM »
Perhaps everyone could find something better and more constructive to do than bleat away on this thread ad nauseam
With you all the way Jimblob its now boring could it not be moved to the trashbin .

jimblob

« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2020, 02:15:39 PM »
Perhaps you could read my earlier posts on this.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
Perhaps you could highlight some of this unnecessary legislation.

Perhaps you could read my earlier posts on this.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
You heard it here first, and then second, and then third... Dave continually seeks to trivialise someone being arrested by the police for selling in pounds and ounces by saying that it doesn't matter.

axctually they were prosecuted for ONLY selling in pounds and ounces. If they'd posted the equivalent metric valies, there wouldn'thave been an issue. But hey, let's not let a good soundbit get away eh?

"Actually" I already knew this, nbt. But how does the addition of "only" change my point that it was EU legislation that directly led to a British shopkeeper being prosecuted? 

You lot are continually misrepresenting what I say.  The fact that anyone would to seek to trivialise this just proves my point - i.e. that it did matter to a supranational bureaucracy that we pursue zealotry legislation because they wanted to change it. If it didn't matter, then why change it?

FWIW I was born in '72 and was educated in metric. there are certain measurements where we still use imperial e.g. pints and miles, but my education was in metric in the textbooks with imperial measures added by the teachers.  anyone who wants to go back to metric is quite frankly old and not going to be around for that much longer.

Irrelevant to the general point.

But... You mean go back to imperial?  When did we go to metric measurements in pubs? You'll have to wait a long time before 18 year olds happy to buy pints of beer are old.

Sensible voices on this thread say they have no objection to either. This is a more civilised way of behaving in such matters and Steve Thoburn should have been left well alone. If his customers had started to ask for metric weighed food then maybe he'd have changed by himself. 

amazon

« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2020, 08:28:13 PM »
I am not the least bit confused and am perfectly happy to mix my measures.
Me too

mikes

« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
I am not the least bit confused and am perfectly happy to mix my measures.

Harry

« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
On the subject of measures, rather than Brexit, we have a real mish mash in the UK now.

If asked, most people would give their height and weight in imperial measures. Unless they have much contact with medical people, then it’s metric.

Looking at restaurant menus portion sizes, of grills for example, are usually given in ounces.

Go to a DIY store and just about all timber and sheet materials are metric.

Buy a burger and it’s a quarter pounder very often.

I buy my milk in pints, but my spirits in litres.

I buy my fuel in litres but measure consumption in MPG.

The attempt to force standardisation upon us has caused lots of confusion and resistance from the general public.

nbt

« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »

You heard it here first, and then second, and then third... Dave continually seeks to trivialise someone being arrested by the police for selling in pounds and ounces by saying that it doesn't matter.

axctually they were prosecuted for ONLY selling in pounds and ounces. If they'd posted the equivalent metric valies, there wouldn'thave been an issue. But hey, let's not let a good soundbit get away eh?

FWIW I was born in '72 and was educated in metric. there are certain measurements wher we still use imperial e.g. pints and miles, but my education was in metric in the textbooks with imperial measures added by the teachers.  anyone who wants to go back to metric is quite frankly old and not going to be around for that much longer

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

wheels

« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:57 PM »
Perhaps you could highlight some of this unnecessary legislation.