Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Voting for Brexit  (Read 49796 times)

Howard

Re: Voting for Brexit
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Not quite Andy.  here are the figures since 2010.

2010: Lib Dem 49%, Conservative 34%, Labour 13%
2015: Conservative 41%, Lib Dem 26%, Labour 18%
2017: Conservative 45%, Lib Dem 33% Labour 21%

The biggest surge in the Labour vote was in 2015, followed by a smaller increase in 2017.  And the 2015 surge must surely have come at least in part from former Lib Dem voters, with the Lib Dem vote collapsing from 49% in 2010 to 26% in 2015.

I take wheels's point about the shortcomings of our incumbent MP, and I'm sorry to say that at the last election I was less than impressed with Ms Smart.  But for me the overwhelming priority is to stop the sheer stupidity of Brexit, and here in Hazel Grove that means voting for the candidate who is best placed to beat William Wragg. It's a case of vote Wilson, get Wragg, I'm afraid.

That Labour surge came, in part, from Michael Taylor, a Marple local who ACTIVELY campaigned, unlike the other Labour candidates who knew they had no chance in Hazel Grove. Previous candidates just paid lip-service to the constituency, whilst working for other proposed MPs, or sitting MPs in other localities where Labour had more chance.

Dave

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
With regards to the labour vote in the constituency, it looks to have been fairly stable over past few elections.

Not quite Andy.  here are the figures since 2010.

2010: Lib Dem 49%, Conservative 34%, Labour 13%
2015: Conservative 41%, Lib Dem 26%, Labour 18%
2017: Conservative 45%, Lib Dem 33% Labour 21%

The biggest surge in the Labour vote was in 2015, followed by a smaller increase in 2017.  And the 2015 surge must surely have come at least in part from former Lib Dem voters, with the Lib Dem vote collapsing from 49% in 2010 to 26% in 2015.

I take wheels's point about the shortcomings of our incumbent MP, and I'm sorry to say that at the last election I was less than impressed with Ms Smart.  But for me the overwhelming priority is to stop the sheer stupidity of Brexit, and here in Hazel Grove that means voting for the candidate who is best placed to beat William Wragg. It's a case of vote Wilson, get Wragg, I'm afraid.

wheels

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
I understand all that Andy but I think we also have to consider our local needs in Hazel Grove and apart from the Swinson/Corbyn debate we need a decent MP in our constituency and Wragg is just about the worst MP I can ever remember having. He has a poor reputation on case work and replying to letters and emails.

So I think one of the key issue leaving aside the national debate is just getting rid of Wragg so that we locally have a much better MP.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
I've been musing over what Andrew & Dave have written...

With regards to the labour vote in the constituency, it looks to have been fairly stable over past few elections. There was as leap in 2017 but it doesn’t appear to be at the cost of the LibDems who polled higher in 17 than in 15.

Although the labour vote has crept up it does look like remain Tories will be the LibDem saviour and not Labour voters. This may explain all the rhetoric locally and nationally. Currently it would require practically every Labour voter to trust the Liberals, which just isn’t going to happen. I'd have opted for a slightly different tact but they probably had the leaflets printed up a while back to dodge the spending limits.

Whilst it won’t make a considerable difference I think that the ‘remain alliance’ Green votes may head to labour opposed to the Lib following trigger happy Swinson’s pledge to nuke the world. (which will certainly have an impact on climate change!!)

I do know a number of people who are planning to hold their nose and ‘vote tactically’, I wish them well. As I said, I voted LibDem to keep the Tories out and ended up with a decade of austerity!

At present I'm not minded to help Lisa Smart help Jo Swinson to become the next Nick Clegg!

(Before people challenge my conscience I am putting in a significant effort in other constituencies)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
I have a great deal of sympathy for what Andy writes, but we have to face up to the reality that voting Labour in Hazel Grove means re-electing William Wragg.  Sorry, but that's how it is.   :(

Its very hard to argue with that analysis.

Don't you just love our 'democratic' westminster voting system.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Dave

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »
I voted LibDem in 2010....

...... and that was the last time we elected an MP who wasn’t a Tory. So do it again Andy 😊

andy+kirsty

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
I voted LibDem in 2010....

I have a great deal of sympathy for what Andy writes, but we have to face up to the reality that voting Labour in Hazel Grove means re-electing William Wragg.  Sorry, but that's how it is.   :(

andrewbowden

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »

When you look at all the historical general elections, Labour have been very consistent in their position in the rankings.  Since it was created in 1974, Labour has come third in Hazel Grove Consistency in every single election.  It's true that last election they got their highest share of the vote here ever.  But to go from a 20% share, leapfrogging from third to first place doesn't seem massively likely.

Like it or not, there's realistically only two candidates who will win the next election here.

Dave

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »

andy+kirsty

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
I really struggle with this working class tory schtick / daily mail playbook.

We bailed out the banks during a global recession, we've endured years of austerity that has decimated services, schools, lives and hope in may areas. Most of my working life has seen me pay considerable tax (high rate tax payer) but all the institutions we should hold dear broken down and sold off.

We're being told by millionaires and billionaires that we can't afford a decent health service, public transport comparable to other European countries and a progressive tax system where the richest will pay more. compared to what we have got and what has happened over the past decade i'm more than happy to chance a labour government.

From what I saw yesterday and in the leaders debates the day before Labour has a plan, has a vision and some hope - the other parties don't. You have 3 shades of Tory - the remain wing (libDem) the one nation group in the middle and the Far Right nutters (Brexit Party)

So, as i've said before, Brexit is the conclusion of anger and depression not caused by the EU but by the failed neo-liberal model. As such i'll be voting Labour on the 12th, will accept  that i'll contribute a bit more but in return will live in a country that is generally more happy, has well funded schools, good clean transport and isn't the US' b**ch.

The people have allready voted to come out of europe .if labour get in and my god i hope not inflation will rocket masive unemployment strikes will be back on .you dont remember the last time do you or are you in another world .of milk and honey .

wheels

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »
The 2016 was a badly organised advisory referendum that should just be ignored.

Dave

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
The people have allready voted to come out of europe .

We did indeed, albeit by a tiny majority. But we can’t agree on what sort of Brexit we want, and neither can our MPs. That’s the problem, and that’s why the Labour plan for a legally binding referendum on a detailed and deliverable deal is probably the most practical way out of this mess.

amazon

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2019, 09:04:41 PM »
If Labour are in power, their plan is to negotiate a new deal (involving membership of the single market and customs union) and then hold a confirmatory vote to let the people decide what they want. Despite everyone ragging on Corbyn about what he PERSONALLY wants, the Labour plan is quite clear. Pretty much all the major parties now have a clear policy on what they'll do. What happens if there's no overall majority is when it becomes unclear again.
The people have allready voted to come out of europe .if labour get in and my god i hope not inflation will rocket masive unemployment strikes will be back on .you dont remember the last time do you or are you in another world .of milk and honey .

Howard

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
And if labour are in power .

If Labour are in power, their plan is to negotiate a new deal (involving membership of the single market and customs union) and then hold a confirmatory vote to let the people decide what they want. Despite everyone ragging on Corbyn about what he PERSONALLY wants, the Labour plan is quite clear. Pretty much all the major parties now have a clear policy on what they'll do. What happens if there's no overall majority is when it becomes unclear again.

amazon

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
If the Tories are still in power, I wonder which section of the population will feel the -2.5% hit the most?
And if labour are in power .