Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Marple Wildflower project  (Read 4666 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Marple Wildflower project
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »
Hi Steve, I guess I already am involved as a volunteer given I mow, weed, edge, strim and maintain the verge outside my house. I'll be pretty annoyed if person or person's decide to turn it into a meadow whilst I'm at work trying to earn the money to pay my council tax. ;)

Great point Jim, you do keep it very well. Like I said on a previous message I wouldn’t want anyone to have something interfered with that they take as much pride in as you do.

Steve.

jimblob

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Hi Jim

How far down will be something we will discuss during a site visit with the Head of Neighbourhoods, I feel some representation along Stockport Road is needed.
As for maintenance, we have a group of volunteers who are willing to help with this project (the Rotherham example shows how local help can be a great benefit) as well as Council operatives.
I don’t mind scepticism, sometimes it allows for alternate thinking. On that point you’re more than welcome to get involved if you wish!

Steve
Hi Steve, I guess I already am involved as a volunteer given I mow, weed, edge, strim and maintain the verge outside my house. I'll be pretty annoyed if person or person's decide to turn it into a meadow whilst I'm at work trying to earn the money to pay my council tax. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
The patch near us is totally unadopted, if it were to be planted up I'd happily strim or mow the edges - especially if this means that it gets planted up. I'm also happy to arrange an informal rota amongst a group of neighbours.

It's odd, I'd not consider mowing the patch it as it stands and can't find a rational reason why not. Perhaps it is to do with an area being invested in and people wanting to keep it nice. 

The patch I'm talking about is below

WLpatch" border="0

That’s fantastic Andy and just the sort of community spirit that people have expressed an interest in. I will speak Colin to add it to the Marple South list.

Kind regards

Steve

andy+kirsty

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
The patch near us is totally unadopted, if it were to be planted up I'd happily strim or mow the edges - especially if this means that it gets planted up. I'm also happy to arrange an informal rota amongst a group of neighbours.

It's odd, I'd not consider mowing the patch it as it stands and can't find a rational reason why not. Perhaps it is to do with an area being invested in and people wanting to keep it nice. 

The patch I'm talking about is below

WLpatch" border="0

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
Hi Steve, how far down Stockport Road from Cross Lane... just to The Drive or further?
I'm also a little confused. If one of the drivers for this is to minimise maintenance costs, surely the ‘splay cut’ will need doing just as often as regular mowing would and there not really save any money?
I remain sceptical!  :-\ :-\

Hi Jim

How far down will be something we will discuss during a site visit with the Head of Neighbourhoods, I feel some representation along Stockport Road is needed.
As for maintenance, we have a group of volunteers who are willing to help with this project (the Rotherham example shows how local help can be a great benefit) as well as Council operatives.
I don’t mind scepticism, sometimes it allows for alternate thinking. On that point you’re more than welcome to get involved if you wish!

Steve

jimblob

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
Thanks for your help with this, it’s actually the other side of the road, please allow me to explain why.

The flowers have to have a ‘splay cut’ which effectively is a 1 foot wide channel up to the border, so the opening foot each side of the verge will be flat. This stops flower stems dropping onto the road or pavement when wet and heavy. Because of this the flower strip would in some cases be barely 2 foot wide and that would not look right. I think Stockport Road could benefit from looking brighter so wanted them somewhere, that’s why I’ve gone for the other side.

I hope that helps?

Steve

Hi Steve, how far down Stockport Road from Cross Lane... just to The Drive or further?
I'm also a little confused. If one of the drivers for this is to minimise maintenance costs, surely the ‘splay cut’ will need doing just as often as regular mowing would and there not really save any money?
I remain sceptical!  :-\ :-\

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
My guess from that description is these but @Steve Gribbon can confirm:

Thanks for your help with this, it’s actually the other side of the road, please allow me to explain why.

The flowers have to have a ‘splay cut’ which effectively is a 1 foot wide channel up to the border, so the opening foot each side of the verge will be flat. This stops flower stems dropping onto the road or pavement when wet and heavy. Because of this the flower strip would in some cases be barely 2 foot wide and that would not look right. I think Stockport Road could benefit from looking brighter so wanted them somewhere, that’s why I’ve gone for the other side.

I hope that helps?

Steve

Condate

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Hi Condate

Yes it’s a title of one of the Council officers. Maybe they have changed reference titles recently.

Steve

Ok. Thanks. I tried a search on the Council website for it and couldn't find it.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »
As a matter of interest, who or what is the "head of Neighbourhoods"? I can't say I've heard of it. It is some Council official?

Hi Condate

Yes it’s a title of one of the Council officers. Maybe they have changed reference titles recently.

Steve

Condate

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »

The neighbourhood team is quite simply people who work under the jurisdiction of the head of Neighbourhoods and will help us whenever we need it, not make decisions.

As a matter of interest, who or what is the "head of Neighbourhoods"? I can't say I've heard of it. It is some Council official?

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
What will happen in winter when all the wild flowers die back? what will be the cost to maintain these?  Why are we not focusing on more pressing issues, for example the state of the pavements, encouraging more businesses into Marple, pushing for a swimming pool etc.

Who are the neighbourhood teams?  As I was not aware of there existence. Is this a few people making decisions on behalf of the majority?

The wildflowers are from reports quite self sufficient after the 1st year where maintenance is needed. I am unsure if you are on Facebook but a group of residents have offered to help with the project which we are delighted with. As for costs this is a trial and this will be monitored. The scheme has been extremely well received after initial questions were raised as it has many benefits.

The project does not interfere with any other actions we are pushing for, for example updates on the pool project have been promulgated whenever there has been one, we meet Council officers regularly regarding this and we are all working to ensure we get an excellent new leisure facility.

The neighbourhood team is quite simply people who work under the jurisdiction of the head of Neighbourhoods and will help us whenever we need it, not make decisions.

I’m more than happy to meet if you’d like to discuss anything further, please let me know if this suits you?

Kind regards

Steve

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Hi @Steve Gribbon and @ColinMac

Could I suggest a further trial location as I think it meets the criteria outlines as well as being a verge that swings from overgrown to scalped once or twice a year.

It would be great to sow the triangular patch at the junction of Wood Lane and Woodville Drive, near the MWW/ rugby club.

Would this be possible?

A

Hi Andy

Thanks for this suggestion. The area you mention is Marple South so I will speak to Colin and get back to you.

Kind regards

Steve

Razzle24

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 02:42:31 PM »
What will happen in winter when all the wild flowers die back? what will be the cost to maintain these?  Why are we not focusing on more pressing issues, for example the state of the pavements, encouraging more businesses into Marple, pushing for a swimming pool etc.

Who are the neighbourhood teams?  As I was not aware of there existence. Is this a few people making decisions on behalf of the majority?

jimblob

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Steve,
whilst I support the idea in general, I do think this will create other problems. Borders nears bus stops and on the paths of schools will become giant bins for litter, bottles and discarded fast food wrappers. I see this already outside our own property as it's near a bus stop that's used by a lot of school children. chosen borders need to be carefully considered and will still need in my opinion, a good deal of maintenance, perhaps more than simply mowing!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi Steve,
"Stockport Road, the verges on the right heading towards Cross Lane"
how far down and from which direction on Stockport from the junction with Cross Lane are you proposing?

My guess from that description is these but @Steve Gribbon can confirm:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website