Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Looking for BOB who used to work at Marple Memorial Park  (Read 1196 times)

marplerambler

Re: Looking for BOB who used to work at Marple Memorial Park
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
Message of thanks from Kath Edwards of Walkaday

Thank you sooooo much,

I shall forward this to Beryl, although I know she is away in Ireland at present.

What a super photograph and what a splendid piece of detective work AND all so quickly too ... amazing.  I am well-impressed [as the youngsters would say]!  The wonders of modern technology and social media.

Thank you too for offering to be post-people.

What a glorious day we had today for our Millers Dale, Monks Dale, Wormhill circular walk: sun, butterflies and ice-cream to add to a delightful walk.

Best wishes

Kath.

marplerambler

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
My thanks to Admin. This information has been forwarded to Kath Edwards, organiser of the Walkaday group.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:21:57 PM »
Bob's surname is Wilson and he still volunteers in the park with Friends of the Park.

He's a wonderful chap and I'm pleased to say that we know him well. His daughter phoned us to apologise that he wasn't at the task day 2 days after his Op!

Anyone wishing to send Bob a card or good wishes can drop them off with us at 72 Woodville Drive and my wife and I will make sure Bob gets them.

Bob is in the blue top with Friends of the Park on his retirement in 2014:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marplerambler

Looking for BOB who used to work at Marple Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »
The following message is from the volunteer who organises the Stockport Walkaday walks asking for help to locate Bob who used to work at Marple Park. Can anyone help?

Two of our 80+ year-old Walkaday walkers: Beryl and Nell also walk at Marple on the Monday Health Walk.  Last evening, I received an email from Beryl, in which she wrote the following:

"You know that Nell and I walk on Mondays with the "Walk for Health" group offered by the Council and on Monday we were all shocked to learn that a lovely man  called Bob (who used to be in charge of the gardens in Marple Memorial Park) had been rushed to hospital for an emergency gall bladder op and won't be able to walk for 2-3 months.  He has the most remarkable brain and knows all the local history as he used to do council tours during his working life.  He used to fill us in with all his knowledge on our Monday walks when he could join us. We want to send a card but no-one knows his address or his surname.  He has been a carer for his disabled wife for several years so she is now in a care home.  Do you know of him and could give us his surname or possibly say who would know?  He worked for Stockport Parks Dept. for many years and took the redundancy package when they started cutting back on employees and park upkeep.  He is always saddened to see the drop in standards over the years since he left.  I will try SMBC and see if they have contact details but thought you might be able to help us."

I know that I do not know who 'Bob' is BUT I wondered if you might know Bob's surname and/or address OR might know someone who does know AND might know a means whereby the ladies might be able to get a card to Bob.