Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Tramway wharf says hello.  (Read 1583 times)

Prucilla

Re: Tramway wharf says hello.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:57 PM »
Hi Steve

Welcome to Marple. It's wonderful that you and your friends are helping to develop Marple's history. I walk past the Tramway Wharf everyday and love the information you have posted about the old boats that are moored there and the book borrowing scheme.  I wish you well in your enterprise and look forward to seeing the improvements.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 01:16:41 PM »
Thanks Steve.  Yes that's helpful.

steve sparrow

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:54 AM »
Hi, wheels..

I own the land but there are a small number of friends who help with it all. I think it reads appropriately in that particular aspects I personally would like to complete were given 'I'..

I hope that helps you.

steve sparrow

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
Welcome to the Marple Website Forum @steve sparrow !

This sounds like a really interesting local project and we look forward to hearing more.

To make it easier for people to find your web site, here's a link: https://www.tramwaywharf.uk/

If there are any photos in the Marple Website Virtual History Tour that may be of use to you, just let me know:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=32

Thanks Mark, I will have a proper look through the virtual tour photos and let you know!

wheels

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
Thanks an interesting item Steve but in your text you keep going from I to We. Which is it I or We and if it's We who are the We?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
Welcome to the Marple Website Forum @steve sparrow !

This sounds like a really interesting local project and we look forward to hearing more.

To make it easier for people to find your web site, here's a link: https://www.tramwaywharf.uk/

If there are any photos in the Marple Website Virtual History Tour that may be of use to you, just let me know:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=32
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

steve sparrow

Tramway wharf says hello.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve Gent, I have recently bought a stretch of land on the canal near Marple top lock and I wanted to introduce myself and to communicate some of our hopes for the land.

Built in 1795 as a wharf for boats to unload into a temporary tramway which took goods down to the bottom level of the canal until the lock flight was completed the land has a rich history which we are only just starting to research now.

It is our hope to restore some key features of the site, in particular I'd like to reconstruct a tramway carriage to match one on show in Bugsworth basin and hopefully map out a cycle/walking trail that  follows the route taken by limestone from there to the land and down the tramway to the Marple aqueduct. The route would highlight sites of historic or cultural significance along the way.

Further to that, and following on from fifteen years working within arts and regeneration projects in Liverpool, I would like to see a part of the land be useable for projects that benefit the wider community, initially I'm thinking that offering a shaded space for local acoustic musicians and choirs to practice on sunny days might be nice.

I also have an passion for historic narrowboats, I am hoping that we might encourage some more to visit and provide an opportunity for folks to learn more about them in relation to the wharf and wider Marple history and contemporary culture.

Well that's us, if you would like to get in contact please message me or look at the (quite basic and new) website and email us through there.

Best regards, Steve