Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: The Sportsman at Strines  (Read 2157 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: The Sportsman at Strines
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
Sad to see this pub is shut - does anyone know what the plans are for it?
Probably twee little cottages that only people with more money than sense would buy.

Too many people think it would be lovely to run a nice little "country" pub but don't do their homework first. Then they discover that it's VERY hard work all hours God sends and they have to keep smiling even when their feet hurt, the customer from hell is making a fuss about the food or someone is whingeing because you don't sell that trendy but obscure beer that's delivered on a lama's back all the way from the heights of the Andes.

I used to know a country pub which even had horse tethering points to encourage casual riders and the drag hunt to call in for lunch. It hadn't occurred to the landlord that horses (much as I love them) are not very well trained when it came to depositing their poo on the car park and none of the staff would help clear it up when the customers complained. That idea didn't last long!!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:34:29 AM »
It is sad to see the pub still shut and no sign of any activity there at all.  Does anyone know what the situation is?

I've merged your enquiry with the earlier one soon after it closed @Barbara
It seems like no news is probably bad news in this instance. I can't find anything recent.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »
It is sad to see the pub still shut and no sign of any activity there at all.  Does anyone know what the situation is? 

Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 05:07:48 PM »
a rumour that the Fox is at risk too.

The closure of the Sportsman is sad, but losing the Fox would be a real tragedy.  And it would make little sense - it's a much loved pub which gets amazingly busy at times, although I imagine it can also be a bit quiet on a Tuesday lunchtime......

Howard

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
We had a family meal out there just before Christmas. The food was a shadow of its former self. Quite insipid and bland.

I think the place went downhill after the former landlord retired.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »

It is very sad - was one of my favourite Friday night wanders for some non-Robbies beer.

A friend and I were there a week or so before it closed. It was very quiet and we were disappointed that the barman was playing videos on his phone very loudly.

Haven't heard any news about it yet except to pick up a rumour that the Fox is at risk too.

Also received a message from a local suggesting that someone "did a runner" owing money to the taxman / VAT man.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

The Sportsman at Strines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »