All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Wildflowers  (Read 5800 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Wildflowers
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
Thank you for the comments so far, and I will be fine thanks Wheels, I’ve got to try and believe it’s worth the effort.

I’m meeting the public realm officer on Monday, any suggestions for potential sites would be welcome.

Kind regards

Steve

wheels

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
Great idea Steve so long as you are happy to deal with all the complaints it will undoubtedly generate..

Howard

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
I'd be happy to see any grass verges seeded with wildflowers. On our street the council mows them three times a year max and they get unbelievably overgrown and tangled. I'd love to see them just left to grow.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »
Quite a few bits on Hibbert Lane near Littlewoods too!

nbt

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
I agree that the verge on Station road alongside memorial park would be a perfect location for this kind of thing
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
This would be great to see happen. It was one of the suggestions made on behalf of Friends of Memorial Park during the council consultations:

Grass verges on highways would be mowed less often:
The regime adopted this year left the verges around Marple in a total mess and I don't see how it can get much worse by not doing them at all  – the verges looked scruffy when uncut but a complete disaster when they were. Is there a way that a plan to plant larger verges as wildlife meadows and progressively remove all smaller grass verges completely could be instigated to save money in the long term?

One great location to trial this would be Buxton Lane, as there are a number of very small / narrow grass verges that are a complete waste of time as far as mowing is concerned and could look fantastic if planted with wildflowers.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »
Apparently they've been doing this for several years in Rotherham.  Saw some lovely pictures on Twitter yesterday that demonstrated the results
https://twitter.com/britishbee/status/1138734131599351808

Also it saves money so what's not to like?

Steve Gribbon

Wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Good morning

There has been a lot of discussion recently on our verges and embankments that are mowed by the Council. I’m one of many who think seeding some of these areas with wildflowers and allowed to grow naturally will look great and benefit the environment (bees, ladybirds etc are attracted to such areas). I brought it up at the Area Committee meeting last Wednesday and our public realm officer is meeting me to look at possible locations.

I will update on here when I have any further details, the post is more for information to highlight something that could be taking place in the area but as ever comments are welcome should you wish to offer any.

Kind regards

Steve