Marple Glass and Glazing

Linked Events

• Tour of Britain passes through Marple: September 14, 2019

Author Topic: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]  (Read 20268 times)

Condate

Re: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »
Perish the thought that taxpayers would contribute to anything that might bring joy and excitement into the mundane lives of Marple residents.

Given the choice between paying my council tax for this event and have a few people watch some riders on bikes going past and my council tax being used for something sensible, I would undoubtedly choose the latter.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 10:14:06 PM »
I really hope that local taxpayers haven't had to pay for this.
Perish the thought that taxpayers would contribute to anything that might bring joy and excitement into the mundane lives of Marple residents.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

hatter76

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:02 PM »
I really hope that local taxpayers haven't had to pay for this.

Victor M

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Dont the councill recieve money for this from the tour organisers towards roads etc
It usually costs a council money to host a stage, to host a stage next year Cornwall are budgeting on it costing £345,000 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/what-hosting-tour-britain-could-2210249
It is seen as money well spent as it brings in far more money into the local community than it costs.

marpleexile

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
Dont the councill recieve money for this from the tour organisers towards roads etc

Do they?

Obviously the Tour de France is "the" cycling road race, and so things may well be different for the Tour of Britain, but councils pay the Tour de France for the honour of hosting a Tour stage, not the other way round. Therefore I don't think it's a given the the Tour of Britain are paying local councils to repair the roads in advance of the race.

amazon

I hope they've fitted pothole resistant tyres.

Cyberman

I hope they've fitted pothole resistant tyres.

Victor M

Thanks for the map, should look great on the TV from the helicopter as they go along the ridge. All we have to do now is try and make Marple look it’s best.

ROTHERS

Well done for finding such a high resolution map! I had them as going down Windlehurst, but yes I think it'll be Wybersley and The Ridge looking at that. Really looking forward to it, some of the worlds best cyclists right on our doorsteps!

i guess them going down Windlehurst would have added to the spectical.

nbt

Well done for finding such a high resolution map! I had them as going down Windlehurst, but yes I think it'll be Wybersley and The Ridge looking at that. Really looking forward to it, some of the worlds best cyclists right on our doorsteps!
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
What's the exact route of the Tour of Britain through Marple?

Been trying to work out the Tour of Britain exact route through High Lane, Marple and Romiley.

Looks like A6 > Carr Brow > Wybersley Rd > The Ridge > Church Lane >  Hibbert Lane > Stockport Road > Station Road > Brabyns Brow > Lower Fold > Compstall Rd > Cowlishaw Rd > Werneth Low Rd and off to Gee Cross and Hyde. 

What do you think?

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
Tour of Britain Saturday 14 September

Exciting news that Stage Eight of the Tour of Britain passes through Marple on Saturday 14 September:

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-eight/

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website