Shop Local Club Card - Loyalty Card App for Small Businesses

Linked Events

• Tour of Britain passes through Marple: September 14, 2019

Author Topic: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]  (Read 2967 times)

Henry_

Re: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
I don't envy them cycling up Werneth Low. I'm really good at riding a bike (have been doing it for about 40 years) and even I have to get off and push going up there, so I suspect they'll have to do the same.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »
There is a nice little promotional video about the Tour of Britain, which passes through Marple on Saturday 14 September.

The route, which we had a very good guess at in May, is now fully detailed too: https://gpx2kml.com/map/k5emln0kq

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Perish the thought that taxpayers would contribute to anything that might bring joy and excitement into the mundane lives of Marple residents.
no cost to tax payers of Marple

amazon

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
I hope the roads for the whole route will be inspected and repaired where necessary. Yesterday saw Marianne Vos retire from the Women's tour due to a poor road surface

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48613504
Marple and surounding areas will be heaving .helicoptors cameras tv as well .

nbt

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
I hope the roads for the whole route will be inspected and repaired where necessary. Yesterday saw Marianne Vos retire from the Women's tour due to a poor road surface

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48613504
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Steve Gribbon

• Councillor Marple North
    • Follow me on Twitter sgribbonlibdems
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 08:04:14 AM »
Good morning

This issue was raised last Thursday at the Council Economy and Regeneration scrutiny meeting. It appears to have been very well received in the Borough and at a local level around Marple also.We will be meeting again soon, I will update this site with any information should it come up in meetings or by email.

Kind regards

Steve
Councillor Marple North
Follow me on Twitter @sgribbonlibdems
Email: stevegribbonlibdems@gmail.com

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
It usually costs a council money to host a stage, to host a stage next year Cornwall are budgeting on it costing £345,000 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/what-hosting-tour-britain-could-2210249
It is seen as money well spent as it brings in far more money into the local community than it costs.

That's an interesting link and good to see that Cornwall are being transparent about the costs in 2020. I'm not against some of my council tax payment being used for this (if it is) but I would expect it to be transparent and there be a business plan / justification for whatever is being spent. I haven't been able to find such a thing for the Manchester stage on-line and I think it's a shame that this is not easy to find, if it exists, so that we can all judge whether we think it's a good or bad way to spend public money.

In Nottingham this article reckons that a spend of 260k brought in a £3.4M economic boost to the area in 2017:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/tour-britain-coming-back-area-1333314
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »
Perish the thought that taxpayers would contribute to anything that might bring joy and excitement into the mundane lives of Marple residents.

Given the choice between paying my council tax for this event and have a few people watch some riders on bikes going past and my council tax being used for something sensible, I would undoubtedly choose the latter.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 10:14:06 PM »
I really hope that local taxpayers haven't had to pay for this.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

hatter76

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:02 PM »
I really hope that local taxpayers haven't had to pay for this.

Victor M

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Dont the councill recieve money for this from the tour organisers towards roads etc
It usually costs a council money to host a stage, to host a stage next year Cornwall are budgeting on it costing £345,000 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/what-hosting-tour-britain-could-2210249
It is seen as money well spent as it brings in far more money into the local community than it costs.

marpleexile

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
Dont the councill recieve money for this from the tour organisers towards roads etc

Do they?

Obviously the Tour de France is "the" cycling road race, and so things may well be different for the Tour of Britain, but councils pay the Tour de France for the honour of hosting a Tour stage, not the other way round. Therefore I don't think it's a given the the Tour of Britain are paying local councils to repair the roads in advance of the race.

amazon

I hope they've fitted pothole resistant tyres.

Cyberman

I hope they've fitted pothole resistant tyres.

Victor M

Thanks for the map, should look great on the TV from the helicopter as they go along the ridge. All we have to do now is try and make Marple look it’s best.