Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 21994 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
Might I suggest we focus on smallish short term developments here rather than rerun the rail argument, as passionate as I know people are about it. It would be nice to see some suggestions that can potentially be delivered within say, the elected term of those elected to serve us at the next electionss. So another starter for 10, we want people to use public transport yet if you are someone who works in Stockport on a Sunday (& these will tend to be people on a minimum wage) why is there no bus service for say an 0900 start?

There's no bus that early because Stagecoach don't see the demand for running one that early.  If they did, there would be one.

And therein your problem, and why even sorting out buses isn't a short term solution.  In every part of this country except Greater London, it's up to the bus companies to decide what services they want to run.  If they don't want to run a bus that gets in at Stockport for 9am, they won't run one.

Now Transport for Greater Manchester could subsidise Stagecoach to run those services.  They already subsidise 9 journeys a week on the 384 and 3 on the 383.  But they only have so much money.  If they subsidise more journeys on the 383 and 384, then that reduces the ability to subsidise other services.  What do you cut to add in that extra journey?

Even something that sounds simple, is not that simple.

Jay

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
Something as simple as installing the latest technology available for SMART traffic light management could help traffic flow. Especially Dan Bank / 17 windows junctions. Where it always appears the lights are fighting each other..

Exactly the same problem on Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road, traffic lights fighting and backing up sometimes to Edwards Way!

PhilB

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »
Something as simple as installing the latest technology available for SMART traffic light management could help traffic flow. Especially Dan Bank / 17 windows junctions. Where it always appears the lights are fighting each other..

amazon

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »
Might I suggest we focus on smallish short term developments here rather than rerun the rail argument, as passionate as I know people are about it. It would be nice to see some suggestions that can potentially be delivered within say, the elected term of those elected to serve us at the next electionss. So another starter for 10, we want people to use public transport yet if you are someone who works in Stockport on a Sunday (& these will tend to be people on a minimum wage) why is there no bus service for say an 0900 start?
Could it be that a lot of the stores what are left dont open till later .

corium

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Dave

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
Goodness where have you been all these month. Another sensible  positive voice returns.

Thanks wheels - nice to have a friendly welcome  :)

The big question about running a train to Stockport is whether there is capacity at Stockport station to take extra trains.  Stockport station is busy with lots of through trains.  There's only one platform for terminating trains, and whilst it is rarely used, the big question is can you get trains into it without causing problems for other services.

I don't have the answers to this, but train routing and station capacity is a very complex issue.  It isn't just as simple as connecting the lines.  There's a lot more to it.

I'm sure that's so, Andrew. But where there's a will there is often a way........ And an obvious possible solution would be to open up the former bay platform at the north end of what are now platforms 1 and 2.

A Metrolink connection using train-trams and a separate station could be an option though.

Indeed, but it's really important, IMO, to provide a direct link in to mainline train services at Stockport - that will surely be one of the main reasons for anyone using a new rail connection from Marple, Romiley and Bredbury.

andrewbowden

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
The big question about running a train to Stockport is whether there is capacity at Stockport station to take extra trains.  Stockport station is busy with lots of through trains.  There's only one platform for terminating trains, and whilst it is rarely used, the big question is can you get trains into it without causing problems for other services.

I don't have the answers to this, but train routing and station capacity is a very complex issue.  It isn't just as simple as connecting the lines.  There's a lot more to it.

A Metrolink connection using train-trams and a separate station could be an option though

wheels

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
Goodness where have you been all these month. Another sensible  positive voice returns.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Steve, I clicked that link to the Area Committee, and I was impressed with what you had to say about the need for a rail link to Stockport, and the conviction with which you said it.

Traffic congestion at peak times on Dan Bank, Torkington Road, Dooley Lane, Bents Lane, Marple Road Offerton, are long-standing problems which we have all agonised about for so long, and there is no easy solution.  If there were such a solution we would have found it by now!

But a rail link (whether tram, tram-train or heavy rail) would undoubtedly go some way to alleviate the problem. And I believe it could be possible, by connecting the Marple to Manchester line at Reddish Vale with the Guide Bridge to Stockport line. 

A sample timing, derived from the actual times of current trains, works out like this:

Marple/ Rose Hill  08.00
Romiley               08.05
Bredbury             08.08
Brinnington          08.11
Reddish South      08.15
Stockport             08.20

20 minutes from Marple to Stockport (and vice versa) at any time of day.  And as the above sample shows, it provides excellent new connections for other parts of east Stockport too.   And a proper train service at Reddish South as well, at last!

Steve, if you can persuade tfgm and SMBC to conduct a feasibility study into such a scheme that would be a great step forward. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
Good afternoon

It's great that people are engaging with this forum in a positive way. I thought I would add some comments although these are not exhaustive but it does offer some insight into my thinking and what we as a Lib Dems group are involved in.

School issues: The main issues around 3 primary schools is clearly congestion.

St Marys-I have requested a meeting with the Headteacher to see if some educating of drivers can be done. @Claire Vibert this may be of interest to you as I recall you commenting that you drive your children to school and have seen the parking issues first hand.

Ludworth-I've been to Ludworth School to see the parking in the morning and have forwarded these details to the responsible Council officers asking for assistance to help neighbouring properties. The Marple North Councillors also held a local forum recently to discuss traffic with local residents which was very well received and we are looking at how to progress the concerns raised.

Rose Hill-There is presently a residents only parking scheme being put into place which I have requested an update on, this is for Elmfield Drive. Continual reports of inconsiderate/dangerous driving has forced this matter, a recent spate of protests at parent parking which I attended got onto Granada tonight.

For Marple Hall School I am visiting the eldest year soon, during this visit I am going to speak to them about their experiences and see what improvements they as responsible individuals can offer.

Rail link-I have tried to let people know of my role in TfGM as a scrutiny officer and the same for the rail/metrolink sub committee. I have spoken at length with Network Rail and they are coming to Marple soon to discuss possibilities to improve our transport links with me. I am also preparing a petition to gain public support demanding an improved infrastructure and hope that people will sign this regardless of political persuasion, this is about fighting for our area. I am also the lead for transport in the Marple Neighbourhood Forum and will be contacting GMCA for funding to improve our station facilities along with another Forum colleague.

On our Area Committee meeting as question was raised about the demand for a Stockport link, please go to 2hrs 02mins on for the reply I gave (I am very much in support of the idea) and the reasoning behind it:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/407520

On the note of potential traffic calming, speed bumps will NOT be happening whilst I have any say in it. I think the evidence in Marple South show certain measures are only counter productive for the environment, vehicle and passenger welfare and speaking to Cllr Malcolm Allan and our candidate Becky Senior they are in agreement that these measures are not required.

My personal thinking has been to punish nobody for their choice of transport but to offer good a quality alternative which will only happen with effort and perseverance.

Like I said this isn't exhaustive but I hope it offers some examples of what we are trying to do to help where we live.

Kind regards

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »
I genuinely do agree, but that can only be done once the alternatives are made more favourable, rather than making life for the motorist so miserable they are forced to make other arrangements or simply leave the area. The approach at the moment and certainly by Stockport Highways team seems to be the latter.

Absolutely.  Experience shows that if you make a good, frequent system, people will use it.  They will flock to use it. 

Not long after it was it was first introduced, nearly half the rail journeys in Greater Manchester were being done by Metrolink, for example.

jimblob

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
I genuinely don't think there's any quick fixes on this.  Everything simple that can be done is basically a sticking plaster.  You need to get people out of their cars, and to do that you need a lot of changes to be made.
I genuinely do agree, but that can only be done once the alternatives are made more favourable, rather than making life for the motorist so miserable they are forced to make other arrangements or simply leave the area. The approach at the moment and certainly by Stockport Highways team seems to be the latter.

jimblob

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Reintroduce a train ... or tram from Marple & Rose Hill direct to Stockport (maybe with one or two stops enroute). Failing that bring on a bypass !!!

It took me 50 mins !! to get from Marple town centre to the junction of Hall St / St Marys Way yesterday morning. It should be a 15 / 20 min journey at best.

The situation can only get worse as more and more cars are introduced.
do we have actual numbers for how many people want to get to Stockport from Marple, and if so, is their final destination Stockport or elsewhere?

amazon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
A great thread to open on and well introduced, thank you.
For the record, given my clear reputation for complaining about things 90% of the time, I now don't even own a car, (it was kindly written off whilst parked by a speeding insurance recovery lorry coming over the brow of the hill at RoseHill Station and I chose not to replace it because it's less than useless around Marple).
I DO use public transport most weeks, even when I did own a car, getting TWO trains to the airport for my weekly commute to Aberdeen. When I get to Aberdeen I take the bus there from the airport to my place of work. During the week I walk each day to my office in Aberdeen and use the bus there again on a Friday to get back to the airport to fly home when my wife will the collect me from the airport. Aberdeen buses are cheaper, cleaner, more prolific and go where you need them to.
So what gets my goat: -
  • No obvious route to the airport by public transport, going via Piccadilly can have it's moments. Why didn't the new link road include the Metrolink?
  • Windlehurst & Hibbert Lane speed bumps, do NOTHING to improve the experience for cyclists or pedestrians, they actually make it more dangerous as motorists swerve to avoid the speed measures and the potholes, wrecking their car suspension and not keeping their eyes on the road ahead where the cyclists and pedestrians are; they're costly to maintain and are simply a way to deter motorists from using this route. The newest of these named as "Mitigation measures" following the opening of the new bypass being the most obvious deterrent that ever there was... what are they "mitigating" against... traffic!
  • Proposing to pedestrianise the main route through Marple Centre, is an honourable cause, but it only works if the vehicles have an alternative route; they don't!
  • Dan Bank has been a notorious problem for years, it and Windlehurst are the only two main routes in and out of Marple, and the latter has now been "mitigated". The new SEMMS bypass has increased traffic across from Hazel Grove to Bredbury, but our Green campaigners are adamant the £265k spend on a new cycle track along Otterspool is a better option than the full bypass we were denied, I've yet to see a cyclist on it; People need to wake up and smell the coffee, (and the fresh air), a bypass with moving traffic is far better than a congested commuter route with stationary cars belching out fumes around our schools, our homes and our pedestrianised "Village" centres.
  • Stockport Highways team, seem so intent on restricting traffic flow with their "improvements" rather than improving it. Narrower junctions, speed tables/humps/cushions, traffic light junctions with so many crossing options the traffic never gets a look in, the list goes on. All of these, stagnate traffic, cause queues and therefore increase polution and reduce air quality. Until there are tangible alternatives ACTUALLY available, the primary objective should be to improve traffic flow, not to restrict it.
  • Being charged to drop off at the airport, it's criminal and insulting, particularly when one considers the amount of investment given to the airport over the years from Greater Manchester council tax payers
My list could go on, but I've probably provided enough to be going on with. On a positive note, my trip home on a Friday from the airport is now a breeze since the new bypass opened, proof indeed that new roads perhaps ARE the answer! Just a shame about the crazy junction at Brookside Garden Centre though, another design classic!.... (you didn't expect me to pay a compliment without any tinge of negativity did you ;) ?)
And i thought you were sat in your rocking chair side of the fire complaining all the time .nice of you to introduce your self look forward to more postings from you ones we can understand .

DLL

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Reintroduce a train ... or tram from Marple & Rose Hill direct to Stockport (maybe with one or two stops enroute). Failing that bring on a bypass !!!

It took me 50 mins !! to get from Marple town centre to the junction of Hall St / St Marys Way yesterday morning. It should be a 15 / 20 min journey at best.

The situation can only get worse as more and more cars are introduced.