A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Lock 11 rebuild  (Read 2666 times)

Cyberman

Re: Lock 11 rebuild
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
"Patients" - perhaps they boiled them down for glue to repair the lock gates.

I spent 35 years teaching History and English. Training in the late 1960s-early 1970s it was dinned into us that insisting on good grammar and accurate spelling and punctuation interfered with the pupils' creativity. During my last year at college (1971), while on my final Teaching Practice, I was giving a spelling test, on the instructions of the class teacher, when my College Tutor turned up. After sitting in the classroom during the spelling test she played hell with me and threatened to fail me, not only on that year's Practice  but the whole course!! Fortunately, the class teacher and the Headmaster told her off in no uncertain terms and complained to the College Principal and she backed down.

It doesn't surprise me that otherwise intelligent men and women can't spell!

I'm afraid I was frequently on the carpet, as a qualified teacher, because I insisted on correct spelling and grammar in both English and History written work. It's not surprising then, that towards the end of my working life I worked in a school with a young (30-ish) Headmaster who couldn't spell - He frequently asked me to "mark" his spelling in his correspondence!!

Hope I haven't made any spelling mistakes in this post  ;)

I was going to challenge you on "Dinned" (first line) but it is a real word which I'd never heard before. One for my Scrabble vocabluary.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
Took a walk around the canal yesterday and have to agree with Admin that the job has been completed to a very high standard indeed, I assume it's because it was a heritage project but you really can't tell that it's not original.......however I spotted this notice on the compound fence, have there been some Doctors (medical) working on the project ?
"Patients" - perhaps they boiled them down for glue to repair the lock gates.

I spent 35 years teaching History and English. Training in the late 1960s-early 1970s it was dinned into us that insisting on good grammar and accurate spelling and punctuation interfered with the pupils' creativity. During my last year at college (1971), while on my final Teaching Practice, I was giving a spelling test, on the instructions of the class teacher, when my College Tutor turned up. After sitting in the classroom during the spelling test she played hell with me and threatened to fail me, not only on that year's Practice  but the whole course!! Fortunately, the class teacher and the Headmaster told her off in no uncertain terms and complained to the College Principal and she backed down.

It doesn't surprise me that otherwise intelligent men and women can't spell!

I'm afraid I was frequently on the carpet, as a qualified teacher, because I insisted on correct spelling and grammar in both English and History written work. It's not surprising then, that towards the end of my working life I worked in a school with a young (30-ish) Headmaster who couldn't spell - He frequently asked me to "mark" his spelling in his correspondence!!

Hope I haven't made any spelling mistakes in this post  ;)
Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

MarpleHarry

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Took a walk around the canal yesterday and have to agree with Admin that the job has been completed to a very high standard indeed, I assume it's because it was a heritage project but you really can't tell that it's not original.......however I spotted this notice on the compound fence, have there been some Doctors (medical) working on the project ?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 07:54:05 AM »
It was great to see Lock 11 open again yesterday and boats at last passing through the canal.

CRT and their contractors have done a very good job and we look forward to the park being fully reinstated after Marple Carnival.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
I assume the footpath that has been damaged with their lorries crossing it will be rebuilt.
Of coarse it will be rebuilt they have not yet reinstated where  there compound was .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Locks
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Just noticed a boat passing through the locks for the first time for nearly a year, can I assume Lock 11 works have been successfully completely and normal service has resumed?

Hi @Randonneur - I've merged your enquiry with the thread about Lock 11 repairs, as it has lots of history about your question. But yes, the locks are open for navigation from today.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

ringi

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 05:03:33 PM »
I assume the footpath that has been damaged with their lorries crossing it will be rebuilt.

Randonneur

Marple Locks
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »
Just noticed a boat passing through the locks for the first time for nearly a year, can I assume Lock 11 works have been successfully completely and normal service has resumed?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:24:25 PM »
Lock 11 Update:

Visited Lock 11 again today with representatives of the Carnival Team, the Council's Greenspace Team and Cllr. @Malcolm Allan

Everything is on-track for opening the lock for navigation on Friday 24 May, as previously advised.

Plans were agreed for the state that the site would be left in for Marple Carnival on the 15th June and a meeting was scheduled for 10 June for a final visit.

Full reinstatement of the site will take place after Marple Carnival. Some planting activities may have to be left until the late autumn, which is the best time for tree/shrub planting.

Unfortunately there was no opportunity to take photos during the visit.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »
As I was walking through the park yesterday, around lock 11, I noticed the house at the top of Garth Road, the small spur off Station Road which is being used to access the park for lock repairs. The house looks empty and the upstairs windows appear to have been broken. Does anyone know what's happening to it? Often if small incidents of vandalism aren't addressed, bigger ones happen.
Howard

amazon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
This was only touched on briefly but I don't believe so. They are under a lot of pressure to get the Cheshire Ring reopened and the scaffold would need to be reconfigured to do this, hence causing delay. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Will ask again when we next meet though.
Why dont u use the area were the Apple trees are planted Arkwright road .theres plenty of room for parking as well .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
Are there any plans to open up the workings to the public as happened with the rebuild further up the flight?

This was only touched on briefly but I don't believe so. They are under a lot of pressure to get the Cheshire Ring reopened and the scaffold would need to be reconfigured to do this, hence causing delay. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Will ask again when we next meet though.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Mr Marple

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »
I'm very hopeful that the ground will be ready for the fun fair come the Friday before Carnival day.

This gives me hope and no doubt the Carnival Committee will be happy(with crossed fingers, of course).

Dudleian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the update Mark. Some good photos there that show the extent and depth of the workings that others may not realise.
Are there any plans to open up the workings to the public as happened with the rebuild further up the flight?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
Lock 11 Update:

It was interesting to pay a visit to CRT and Kier in the park today and see how they are getting on with the repairs to Lock 11 - shame it was so cold and wet!

As you can see from the photos, the stonework is now all removed from the lock and they will soon be ready to start rebuilding it back up.

Currently they feel they are on schedule to re-open for boats on Friday 24 May, as the latest statement posted in February below.

One of the key concerns locally is the impact of the works on Marple Carnival on 15th June and several members of the Carnival  Committee plus Ted Morley (Fun Fair owner) attended today's meeting to discuss options to accommodate the Fun Fair on Carnival Day. Everyone seemed happy with the provisional plans made and there will be another meeting in early May to firm up details and consider where the work is up to at the time.

Thank you to CRT and Kier for their hospitality and to Stockport Council's Greenspace team for organising the meeting.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website