All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Etherow Country Park  (Read 7650 times)

Malcolm Allan

Re: Etherow Country Park
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
I've been working on this for a while. As well as being a Councillor, I am also a volunteer at Etherow. We were aware as soon as the toilets were closed and for months now I've been writing to and meeting council officers to get information on why. This is a very long story but to keep it short, we were told there was an expensive repair needed to a drainage pipe and this would cost in the region of £20k odd. I asked to see the quotation as it seemed very high. Meanwhile they found a quote for the alternative, which was demolition of the toilets at a cost of £27,000. Thanks to a Freedom of Information request we now know the cost of the drain repair is quoted at £5k, and the rest is all about other repairs and ongoing maintenance over 3 years. I believe most of this can be done buy us volunteers, hence saving the toilets and the tax payer soem cash! The petition is mine, and has my name on the bottom, and I told the council I was doing this when they were unable after a long period to get me the data we now have. Please sign the petition if you agree with us, and I will present it to full Council. Big thanks to Etherow Volunteers and Compstall Community Council who have been pushing on this issue through me and been a huge support and very active in getting out the petition.

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
The Petition is in the Visitor Centre adjacent to the Cafe.  Please sign it if you are near the Park.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
I have been told the Council is proposing to demolish the Toilets near the weir in Etherow Country Park for the cost of £23,000.  Apparently there is a blocked pipe.  It is difficult to believe that unblocking a pipe would cost over £23,000.

There is a petition to be signed in the Cafe by those of you who use the park.

I have also been told that that the £300,000 collected annually by the Council through the car parking fees in Etherow Country Park do not go to the upkeep of the park. Why not?

What with the failure to remove debris in the lake and canal, and the proposal not to repair the riverside path alongside Keg Pool, you can only assume the Council intend the park to fall into decay.  Why is that?
the money they save could be wasted on something else .

CTCREP

Etherow Country Park
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
I have been told the Council is proposing to demolish the Toilets near the weir in Etherow Country Park for the cost of £23,000.  Apparently there is a blocked pipe.  It is difficult to believe that unblocking a pipe would cost over £23,000.

There is a petition to be signed in the Cafe by those of you who use the park.

I have also been told that that the £300,000 collected annually by the Council through the car parking fees in Etherow Country Park do not go to the upkeep of the park. Why not?

What with the failure to remove debris in the lake and canal, and the proposal not to repair the riverside path alongside Keg Pool, you can only assume the Council intend the park to fall into decay.  Why is that?