Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 3136 times)

Dave

Re: Brexit
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 10:18:46 AM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
Erm, which parallel universe have you been in for the last three years? If the government had actually been doing this, then we would be leaving tonight with a 1/2 decent deal. Instead they spent it fighting amongst themselves.

I think all the information you need is contained the full version of what I wrote.

marpleexile

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
Well I think we can all agree that Brexit is great/okay/naff/terrible.  That the government's handling on it is terrible.

Fixed that for you. Whatever your thoughts on Brexit, I don't see how anyone can possibly think that the government has handled this well.

Here we are talking boycotts and this is AFTER the UK government spent the last three years trying to reunite the country, ensuring everyone was listened to, and generally recognising that the referendum result was very close and not exactly decisive!

Erm, which parallel universe have you been in for the last three years? If the government had actually been doing this, then we would be leaving tonight with a 1/2 decent deal. Instead they spent it fighting amongst themselves.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
And it's not just Willie who has been reaching out to heal our divided nation (and his divided constituency). What about those models of moderation and compromise, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Steve Baker, John Redwood, Bill Cash et al.   

Paradoxically (and I'm not being ironic now) those guys are actually one of the main reasons we are not leaving the EU when we go to bed this evening.   And if May's withdrawal agreement doesn't get through Parliament today, we could well end up with a softer Brexit, or even no Brexit at all. And Willie and his mates will have only themselves to blame. 

andrewbowden

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 07:49:22 AM »
Here we are talking boycotts and this is AFTER the UK government spent the last three years trying to reunite the country, ensuring everyone was listened to, and generally recognising that the referendum result was very close and not exactly decisive!  William Wragg saw how divided his constituency was, and tried to find a middle way.  And thank goodness he did rather than just take an extreme view on one side?

Can you imagine how it would be if they'd spent acting like leave had won overwhelmingly, and that the views of anyone who voted to remain were completely irrelevant?!  How much deeper the divisions would be?

Doesn't bear thinking about.

wheels

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:41 PM »
Good I'd be delighted leavers went to the wall. Excellent.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
Such a list would be useful, so we can boycott shops who oppose Brexit and make more use of those who support it.

In fact of course, whatever we want to happen regarding Brexit, anything we do or say will be completely ignored by government; it always is (unless it suits them).

I don't really think politicians (at national level anyway)  ever really take much notice of ordinary people and probably never will, while so many people vote based on tribal loyalty, regardless of what the politicians actually do.
And then they will shut down and areas will become even more Ghost towns

wheels

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
I'm sorry I don't agree most of us only want Remain business do well. I'd like to see the rest go under.

corium

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »
Such a list would be useful, so we can boycott shops who oppose Brexit and make more use of those who support it.

...and how would we know? Even if  some shop owners indicated their views but this doesn't necessarily mean their employees who would be affected shared the same views. This is really going to help Marple thrive...not

ROTHERS

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
I think it's important that we don't use local shops or business where the owners voted leave or support Brexit. Many towns have developed a list of such local traders to avoid so we don't end up giving our money to them.

It would be a useful initiative in Marple to develop a list of leave supporting traders. Just as millions of us now don't use Weatherspoons  buy Dyson products, don't use Timpsons or Superdrug.  Let them all go under.

I clearly have my stupid hat on today, why should we boycott them ?
Should business do the same, not serve people who voted Brexit ?

Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
so many people vote based on tribal loyalty, regardless of what the politicians actually do.

Assuming that by ‘tribal loyalty’ Condate means loyalty to a political party, that may well be true in normal elections, but it certainly doesn’t apply in this case. Both of the major parties are deeply divided within themselves on Brexit, and the leave/ remain divide in the country at large cuts across party lines. That’s why parliament is in such a mess.

Condate

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »
I think it's important that we don't use local shops or business where the owners voted leave or support Brexit. Many towns have developed a list of such local traders to avoid so we don't end up giving our money to them.

It would be a useful initiative in Marple to develop a list of leave supporting traders. Just as millions of us now don't use Weatherspoons  buy Dyson products, don't use Timpsons or Superdrug.  Let them all go under.

In fact of course, whatever we want to happen regarding Brexit, anything we do or say will be completely ignored by government; it always is (unless it suits them).

I don't really think politicians (at national level anyway)  ever really take much notice of ordinary people and probably never will, while so many people vote based on tribal loyalty, regardless of what the politicians actually do.

wheels

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
Well I think we can all agree that Brexit is great/okay/naff/terrible.  That the government's handling on it is awesome/good/bad/terrible/.  That William Wragg is totally correct in his approach/sending us on a path of destruction.  And that we can solve the whole problem on this forum.

Condate

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Willie Wragg was one of the 160 MPs who voted in favour of no deal yesterday.

Which means I will vote for him at the next election. Had he not supported no deal, I don't see how I could have done so.