Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Water and gas leaks  (Read 4132 times)

corium

Re: Water and gas leaks
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
I'm sure it is purely coincidence that I saw two of the three water leaks I mentioned being worked on yesterday as I strolled down to the station.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
Ido 2 have photos someware maybe on marple archives if Admins reading could you try find please .DONE
virtual tour marple BRIDGE PAGE 18 19 .They are the cause of all the problems .

amazon

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
Part of the reason for so many pipes (I am told) is that there was a gasometer where Pear Tree Close is (next to Ludworth School).  So distribution was harder.  Sadly (and I sound old here) I remember that gasometer well...
The solution surely is still replacement.
Ido 2 have photos someware maybe on marple archives if Admins reading could you try find please .

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
Part of the reason for so many pipes (I am told) is that there was a gasometer where Pear Tree Close is (next to Ludworth School).  So distribution was harder.  Sadly (and I sound old here) I remember that gasometer well...
The solution surely is still replacement.

corium

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »
I wasn't aware of the multiple gas pipes either...but how long ago did the gas works close and did no one consider there were three sets of pipes slowly rotting underground? I'm a relative newcomer (c14 years) yet know Brabyns has been regularly dug up over that period. I just wonder how much money has been spent just "patching up" ditto, and moving away from Marple Bridge the water pipes in Station Road.

amazon

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »
Thought I'd replied elsewhere on this.  John is right - there are 3 old pipes of varying diameter that all hae leaks, hence the stop-start nature of the recent very long repairs.
Cllr Annette Finnie, a Marple Br resident and myself met recently with a manager on Brabyns from Cadent, whose teams did the lengthy repairs.  He promised to look into
1) Better communication, which may include a dot matrix board to give warning of repairs
2) To chase up replacements for these old cast iron pipes.  There is another team that do that and they have to prove cost-effectiveness.  However it wouldn't have taken since Feb to replace!
Thank you for info was not aware there were three pipes ..

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »
Thought I'd replied elsewhere on this.  John is right - there are 3 old pipes of varying diameter that all hae leaks, hence the stop-start nature of the recent very long repairs.
Cllr Annette Finnie, a Marple Br resident and myself met recently with a manager on Brabyns from Cadent, whose teams did the lengthy repairs.  He promised to look into
1) Better communication, which may include a dot matrix board to give warning of repairs
2) To chase up replacements for these old cast iron pipes.  There is another team that do that and they have to prove cost-effectiveness.  However it wouldn't have taken since Feb to replace!

JohnBates

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
.it would have been quiker to re main all the section on Brabyns Brow .

Apparently there are three gas main pipes on Brabyns Brow. All very old, date from when gas was produced at a plant in Marple Bridge. They are down to be replaced by a new main at some point. Date not determined, also contractors Cadent have promised better communications in future.  see here www.hazelgroveconservatives.org.uk/news/temporary-lights-brabyns-brow

amazon

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Who ever wins in May though it's not a local council matter per se perhaps it's time to start asking questions re the water infrastructure in Marple Bridge. In the last 6 months or so I can think of at least half a dozen repairs. Tonight walking down from home - I spotted 3 leaks - the one opposite c 25 Longhurst Lane in the middle of the road which has been pumping out for c 3 months & is getting worse, one outside c No 3 which has been going for several days and going into Town street I noticed another which has appeared (I think) in the last couple of days outside one of the  houses in Town Street. So that makes 9 ish in say 400 yards or so in the last 7ish months - at this rate the whole length will have been repaired by default. I rather suspect this is not untypical f the wider area. Ditto over the last year or two how many times has Brabyns Brow been dug up because of problems with gas?
The problem is that the water presure is very high in that part of marple bridge its not pumped its just normal presure and the plastic pipes just cant cope with it .agree with you on gas have not the firm that are doing the gas now taken over from the  firm that went bust .it would have been quiker to re main all the section on Brabyns Brow .

corium

Water and gas leaks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:22:24 PM »
Who ever wins in May though it's not a local council matter per se perhaps it's time to start asking questions re the water infrastructure in Marple Bridge. In the last 6 months or so I can think of at least half a dozen repairs. Tonight walking down from home - I spotted 3 leaks - the one opposite c 25 Longhurst Lane in the middle of the road which has been pumping out for c 3 months & is getting worse, one outside c No 3 which has been going for several days and going into Town street I noticed another which has appeared (I think) in the last couple of days outside one of the  houses in Town Street. So that makes 9 ish in say 400 yards or so in the last 7ish months - at this rate the whole length will have been repaired by default. I rather suspect this is not untypical f the wider area. Ditto over the last year or two how many times has Brabyns Brow been dug up because of problems with gas?