Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Where do candidates live?  (Read 2366 times)

K.C.Dowling

Re: Where do candidates live?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
I've broken this out as a separate thread as it merits one of its own.

Are there any rules regarding where a candidate must live? Must they live in the borough?

It's a good question Admin.

There is guidance from the Electoral Commission. I have read it but not studied it. I am willing to be corrected but I think that the answer is, that although borough residency can be a candidate's route to qualification, it is not a prerequisite and basically you can live anywhere in England and Wales and stand for election in Marple, or anywhere else.

What all candidates must have is the written endorsement of 10 people who are bona-fide voters in the ward that they are standing in.

One may ponder as to the reason one would wish to stand in a ward where you don't live.

It is a party problem. caused by the parties themselves and it is widespread and on a national basis. However, to confine it to Stockport. The main parties, I.E Cons, Labs & Lib Dems decree that they will field a candidate in every ward. There are some wards, where they don't have a snowball/hell chance or they don't have a residential candidate so they field a paper candidate . This candidate does not expect to get in and has no connection to the area whatsoever. It is easy to obtain the ten nominations through party membership.  Unfortunately a large chunk of the electorate votes for Party not Candidate and in fairness to them, they often don't have any choice other than to do this at the ballot box.

This problem will never be resolved until there are truly independent councillors elected.

Marple North this year, is the only ward in the whole of Stockport wherein the electorate has an opportunity to return a truly Independent candidate. A candidate who lives and has a business in Marple North a business which employs local people. 

It is my view that all candidates should have a connection to the ward that they are standing in and they should be able to substantiate it. 

Newbie1

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
The rules are in this document on page 4:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/141784/Part-1-Can-you-stand-for-election-LGEW.pdf

Basically, you have to have lived or worked in the Local Authority area in the 12 months prior to the election. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:28:27 AM »
I've broken this out as a separate thread as it merits one of its own.

Are there any rules regarding where a candidate must live? Must they live in the borough?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ringi

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
So both Conservative and Labour candidate are just standing for the benefit of their parties with no real interest in Marple.....   (This makes it easy to decide who I will vote for.)

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
Quite right Wheels,  thanks for pointing it out,  I stand corrected.

For the avoidance of any doubt. The Candidate who is recorded as living live at: 1 Pleachway, Heaton Mersey, SK4 3DR is the Labour Candidate.   

wheels

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
You've got 2 Conservatives there Kevin I assume your first one is mean to be Labour.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
There has been a lot of reference to candidate's addresses on here, so just for information here are those addresses for Marple North:

Marple Independent: 99 Station Road, Marple, SK6 6PA.

Conservative Labour Party: 1 Pleachway, Heaton Mersey, SK4 3DR.

Liberal Democrat: 6 Elmfield Drive, Marple, SK6 6DW.

Green Party: 15 Manor Rd, Marple,  SK6 6PW.

Conservative Party: 14 Edward Avenue, Bredbury, SK6 2PQ.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
In the first instance Condate, it may not mean a lot to you but it may mean something to others. People who have a long standing connection to Marple, like me, but unlike you.

Secondly,  Your view is not the definitive one on this forum any more than mine is.

Thirdly, why do you keep writing to me? I am not one of your candidates, why don't you write to one of your own? Do you know who they are? I can tell you that they all live in Marple/High Lane. I can also tell you that apart from one of them. I've never heard of any of them before, not even their names. Perhaps you'd like to tell us which one you are voting for and why. Perhaps they are 'very well known to people in the ward,' though I've not come across anybody who has heard of them. Do you think that is positive or negative?   

Condate

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
Some information for those who are interested in statistics such as these,.

2018 Local Elections.

21 wards being contested by 93 candidates. 49 candidates non-residential in wards they are standing in.

That doesn't mean a lot. Not residing in the ward could mean for example living within a few yards of the Marple North/South boundary and standing in the other ward, to living many, many miles from the ward. For the figures to mean anything, that sort of factor would need to be taken into account. I imagine there are example of both on the list and everything in between.

Personally, I'd want a councillor who was either resident in the ward, very close to it, or very well known to people in the ward because of some close connection to it. 

K.C.Dowling

Where do candidates live?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
Some information for those who are interested in statistics such as these,.

2018 Local Elections.

21 wards being contested by 93 candidates. 49 candidates non-residential in wards they are standing in.