A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Solve a mystery near Brick Bridge?  (Read 6599 times)

the rover

Re: Solve a mystery near Brick Bridge?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
I seem to recall that years ago the mine shaft opened up and that a child who was playing near there fell down the shaft and was killed and that was when it was filled in with concrete and that the concrete structure is like a memorial. This is just my memory, maybe some of the older long time Marple residents might also remember the story.

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
Ah!  Excellent to know!

Thanks

marveld

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
It's a capped coal mine, originating from Samuel Oldknow's days I think. Although it was capped much more recently.

It is indeed a capped mine shaft. Here's the 1872 map for all you map fans out there -

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102341011#zoom=6&lat=7749&lon=5770&layers=BT

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
Been meaning to ask this for ages.

Next to a footpath, near Brick Bridge, is this mysterious concrete structure.  Does anyone know what it is, and what it's for?  I've never seen anything quite like it.

(I suspect the answer is very boring.)

It's a capped coal mine, originating from Samuel Oldknow's days I think. Although it was capped much more recently.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »
It looks like a triangulation point where maps are drawn from. I could be miles out of course!

All the best for 2018

Steve

That's what I thought too, but it doesn't seem to be marked on the OS map and https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/legacy-control-information/triangulation-stations Doesn't seem to mention it (but I might have missed it).

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
It looks like a triangulation point where maps are drawn from. I could be miles out of course!

All the best for 2018

Steve

andrewbowden

Solve a mystery near Brick Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
Been meaning to ask this for ages.

Next to a footpath, near Brick Bridge, is this mysterious concrete structure.  Does anyone know what it is, and what it's for?  I've never seen anything quite like it.

(I suspect the answer is very boring.)

[attachment deleted by admin]