Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Marple Thai Kitchen  (Read 4012 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Thai Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
I have to say that most of the "proper" Thai food I have had has had a fair amount of sauce, and rarely particularly thick sauce.  I used to work with someone from Malaysia and we'd regularly go to a nearby Thai restaurant that she proclaimed was very authentic and they were certainly saucy.

I have also seen Thai which almost always has less sauce, which is much thicker - kind of like curry sauce in a way.  More heavy on the coconut.  And I've generally assumed that was more Anglicised.  Don't recall ever having it in a Thai restaurant, funnily enough.

I've never been to Thailand.  I don't know how authentic any UK version of Thai is.  I just know I've had Thai food I felt was naff, and some that was excellent and have personally rated Marple Thai Kitchen are up there in my mind.   Compared to the gloopiness of most local Chinese takeaways, the food feels refreshing and tasty.

Cyberman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
Our family has had one takeaway from the Thai Kitchen (last week) and we were generally impressed. We had the Mixed Starter, which had lightly fried crispy vegetables and vegetable parcels. Liked that a lot. Then had roast duck in red curry, a stir fry with tofu and a noodle dish. All very nice. We thought it was very good for a reasonably priced take away and will definitely use again.

corium

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Interestingly my experience is somewhere between the previous two posters. The food I've had was generally tasty, some very good e.g. the vegetable tempura. However one main dish was swimming in sauce & the soup I had was very, very disappointing. However it's relatively early days & I find it often takes some time for places to settle into a "standard" so I would go back to retry but it's not yet a destination that would be an automatic 1st choice which is a pity as I like Thai cuisine.

marple syrup

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
Really nice people in there, both when I ordered on the phone and when I collected.

But the food was dreadful. I mean really bad. The most watery food we've ever had, certainly not enough paste used, and the Massaman we ordered was not a Massaman by any definition - it didn't even contain any new potatos as per the menu description. Was basically a watery thai red curry, which would have been ok if it wasn't so watered down and therefore bland.

It was such a shame because me and my partner enjoy a good Thai meal!

andrewbowden

Marple Thai Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
Surprisingly no one has mentioned it, so I will.  Marple Thai Kitchen opened recently and the food is really very good.

Go.  Get takeaway.  Enjoy.