A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Mayoral and General Elections 2017  (Read 31573 times)

Dave

Re: Mayoral and General Elections 2017
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
This is an interesting development, and quite a brave one, I think:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39897999

JohnBates

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
If you mean the Greater Manchester Mayor election, results are here https://www.gmelects.org.uk/info/2/i_am_a_voter/3/gmca_mayoral_election_results

Tillyed1

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
Does anyone know the results of the recent local elections ?, can't seem to find the results anywhere.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
There's a lot of confusion about how Labour voters voted in the referendum. Because many Labour-held seats voted leave, it's assumed that most Labour voters voted Leave, but they didn't. On the contrary, we know that about two-thirds of those who voted Labour in 2015 went on to vote Remain in the referendum. 

The referendum 'polarised' the vote, because unlike a general election, where there are at least four candidates to vote for, in the referendum there were only two choices, Leave or Remain.  So the Leave majority in some Labour-held seats included lots of Tory and UKIP voters, as well as some Labour voters.

But some people haven't yet worked that out - including, sadly, the parliamentary Labour Party!

There's a lot of confusion, because of the huge difference between how people vote in a general election under first past the post, and how they vote in a straightforward yes or no vote.  The two simply can't be compared objectively.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
If we ever did go down the road of compulsory voting (I'm torn on it, I like the idea, but Howard is right about the potential pitfalls) then we would need to do something like they did in students union elections when I were a lad - have a none of the above option, and if none of the above wins, you hold a fresh election with new candidates (rinse repeat until you have a human winner).

I agree with the principle, but if we want to make it 100% fair I'd stick None of the Below as the first option at the top of the ballot paper.

thegreenman

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2017, 06:32:22 AM »
Re: Marple Matters

After recieving a leaflet when I was out in Marple last weekend I decided to be one of the participants this week. If you didn't get one Marple Matters are a new community group of residents that arn't party affiliated but are not happy with William Wragg's voting record and representation and want him out.
If my interaction yesterday was representative if the general mood I'd say about 70% of the people I spoke to agreed and were not planning to vote Tory or we're planning to tactically vote (many after voting with their heart last time and feeling like they let the Tory's in). Obviously many who didn't stop could have been Wragg and Tory supporters!

I was just encouraged that there was a group emerging that didn't want to just let Wragg be reelected uncontested and were willing to stand up and engage with others. They are on Facebook and twitter if you want to find out more. Just search Marple Matters.

marpleexile

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
Another reason for not voting is disapproval of there being the particular election. I didn't vote because I do not want there to be a mayor of Greater Manchester (and I am out of the country but I would not have voted anyway). It is of course impossible to know why each person didn't vote.  The other major reason for not voting is disapproval of all the candidates. This is becoming more common. Many people don't vote not because they do not care about politics, but because they care very much and have nobody they can vote for.

If we ever did go down the road of compulsory voting (I'm torn on it, I like the idea, but Howard is right about the potential pitfalls) then we would need to do something like they did in students union elections when I were a lad - have a none of the above option, and if none of the above wins, you hold a fresh election with new candidates (rinse repeat until you have a human winner).

Condate

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
Actually I disagree. There are many reason for not voting, but the most common one is apathy. If you make voting compulsory then the most apathetic will have to vote and the level of discourse will come down even further and devolve into an even simpler and more populist message. The political discussion is bad enough in this country already without taking it down to an even lower level.

Another reason for not voting is disapproval of there being the particular election. I didn't vote because I do not want there to be a mayor of Greater Manchester (and I am out of the country but I would not have voted anyway). It is of course impossible to know why each person didn't vote.  The other major reason for not voting is disapproval of all the candidates. This is becoming more common. Many people don't vote not because they do not care about politics, but because they care very much and have nobody they can vote for.

mikes

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
Actually I disagree. There are many reason for not voting, but the most common one is apathy. If you make voting compulsory then the most apathetic will have to vote and the level of discourse will come down even further and devolve into an even simpler and more populist message. The political discussion is bad enough in this country already without taking it down to an even lower level.

Better make them less apathetic then.

mikes

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
HOW do you sort that out then .

Easy.  they already record who has voted so very easy to determine who hasn't.

Howard

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Shocking turnout, voting should be compulsory.  That would stir things up.

amazon

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
HOW do you sort that out then .

mikes

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
And a 28.9% turnout. That was much higher than I expected.

Howard

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
And a 28.9% turnout. That was much higher than I expected.