Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Mayoral and General Elections 2017  (Read 31587 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Mayoral and General Elections 2017
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
That came as a complete surprise John.

You being impressed by and supporting the Conservative candidate.

mikes

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »
I'd forgotten all about this election due to being deluged with French and our general election guff.  I only remembered when I walked past the new polling station on Hibbert Lane just now. 

andrewbowden

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
I've seen very little information about the candidates except for that booklet (where - infuriatingly - the two independents and Ukip didn't bother to stump up the cash to put their comments in.  Seriously, why stand if you're not going to put the effort in?), and leaflets from Andy Burnham and the Lib Dem candidate whose name I forget right now.

Conservatives?  Nothing.  Mind you, they posted a calender through my door in February.  Which seemed a little late. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
or Tim Farron, a nice guy who is wholly without leadership qualities.

Dave, I agree with you there. Except for Europe, he's hardly laid out what Lib dems are about. He got himself in a terrible mess about being a Christian, supporting same sex marriage and being somehow against the consummation of that marriage. Liberals are supposed to be Liberals, personal choice and all that so the leader of the Liberal party should not be against what comes naturally to folk.

Dave

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »
Anstee may be an excellent candidate, for all I know, but that's irrelevant because his chance of becoming mayor is zero. It's a one-horse race.

As for the General Election, Simone writes:
I don't think labour voters do hate Corbyn.

I think that's right. But even among those who may share his political views, there is widespread pity for a man who has found himself doing a job to which he is manifestly unsuited.  He is Leader of the Labour Party, and Leader of the Opposition is parliament. Leaders are called upon to, well, er, lead! To inspire, to articulate policy eloquently and coherently, to motivate, to build and unite a team, to reconcile different views, etc etc.  Corbyn patently cannot do those things. Mind you, neither can Theresa May, who can only speak in soundbites, or Tim Farron, a nice guy who is wholly without leadership qualities.

The only half-way competent political leader in the UK at the moment, whether you agree with her or not, is Nicola Sturgeon.  What a mess.....

JohnBates

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
Yes was youngest Concil leader in country when he took over at Trafford Council. May be young, but knows what he is doing. Helped write the DevoManc deal so understands mayoral role better than most.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
It seems that the Conservatives are picking children to run in all these elections!

JohnBates

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
@admin may not surprise you know I suggest this very keen and thoughtful chap. Lots more detail on his views here http://www.seananstee.com/manifesto  than in the little booklet. Might be biased but have been very impressed with him.

Think his election video very good as well

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
Not much been said about the Mayoral elections and we have to vote today. Not seen much about the candidates apart from the little booklet that came around with the voting cards. Is there an outstanding candidate? I haven't decided how to vote yet!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Not really a well reasoned argument...

No, it wasn't

Condate

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
Brighton and Ealing are the first seats to declare a progressive alliance so that the most likely progressive candidate could win.  We'll see how this takes off.

An alliance of the two worst parties like that can only be bad for Britain. Unfortunately, there are few if any good parties to oppose such a so called "progressive" (that certainly isn't the word that comes to mind, but I can't think of one I can use in polite society) alliance. Sadly, the Conservative party is pretty much as bad. Not a good choice facing the electorate.

I am unlikely to make much if any contribution to this discussion for a while as I am some 1500 miles away and trying to get this tablet to let me type something resembling English.

JMC

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
That of course is nonsense.

Not really a well reasoned argument...

He can't empathise if he votes to cut disability benefits.

Duke Fame

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
It might do, but on the other hand it might not, we can all make predictions. I don't think labour voters do hate Corbyn. Obviously the right wing press do and many of the parliamentary Labour Party do as well. Between them, they join forces to focus a campaign against him. That then becomes the issue, as it has done, Corbyn versus May. This suits the Tories, because when it becomes personal all the other issues are ignored. As well as this when you have 90% of the media on your side, then there is only one winner. Jeremy Corbyn was unheard of when Labour were annihilated in 2015, yet they were still slaughtered. 

If the Labour party were to do what Hoffnung suggests, then it would polarise the campaign to just that, remain or leave. That would drastically alter the political landscape - and then who knows?

What seems absolutely certain (if the polls are right) is that, if it doesn't do something radical, Labour is going to be annihilated anyway. The main reason for this (imho) is the disgraceful behaviour of the parliamentary Labour Party in presenting a party in total disarray and division.

The problem with that is Corbyn has been in favour of leaving the EU for pretty much forever and halfheartedly involved in the campaign at referendum time.

If remaining in the EU is important, vote for the party that wants to stay. Lib dems are at least consistent. Why vote for a party with rubbish policies, a rubbish leader who you disagree with simply because it wears a red rosette?

Duke Fame

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »
I think it is relevant to that he lives with his parents which is a large financial advantage that many others pushing 30 don't have. It is also highly unusual for an MP so will draw attention. As another poster said, he doesn't have the worry of paying the bills every month. How can he then empathise with others? He doesn't seem to empathise with people on disability benefits or hard working low paid parents loosing money.

That of course is nonsense. 

simonesaffron

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »
I think this would result in about half of the current labor MPs loosing their seats, with the work class parts of the UK turning blue!   If Corbyn does what his supporters wants, then most labor voters will hate him even more.

It might do, but on the other hand it might not, we can all make predictions. I don't think labour voters do hate Corbyn. Obviously the right wing press do and many of the parliamentary Labour Party do as well. Between them, they join forces to focus a campaign against him. That then becomes the issue, as it has done, Corbyn versus May. This suits the Tories, because when it becomes personal all the other issues are ignored. As well as this when you have 90% of the media on your side, then there is only one winner. Jeremy Corbyn was unheard of when Labour were annihilated in 2015, yet they were still slaughtered. 

If the Labour party were to do what Hoffnung suggests, then it would polarise the campaign to just that, remain or leave. That would drastically alter the political landscape - and then who knows?

What seems absolutely certain (if the polls are right) is that, if it doesn't do something radical, Labour is going to be annihilated anyway. The main reason for this (imho) is the disgraceful behaviour of the parliamentary Labour Party in presenting a party in total disarray and division.