Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Dangerous parking in Marple.  (Read 9991 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Dangerous parking in Marple.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
I thought parking on the pavement was an offence?

It's only illegal in Greater London.  Even then, some councils are pragmatic.  I used to live in the London Borough of Merton, and they had a list of roads they would allow you to pavement park on - under strict conditions.  Usually where not doing so would result in the road being blocked.

There have been suggestions of extending the ban outside London but nothing has happened yet.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
And, due to a cock-up (not my mistake) with my over-70s driving licence application I've been on "Shanks mare" for the last month and I've had to walk into "the village" (sorry, habit :)). I've taken the Cross Lane route several times and found the pavement close to the junction with Stockport Road blocked by cars and trucks parked thereon. Blocked pavements are not helpful to people with prams/wheelchairs, people with poor sight and elderly owld bats like me who aren't as agile as we used to be.

I thought parking on the pavement was an offence?

adventurer_marple

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
There has been more enforcement of the double yellow lines on Fern Close recently. I have seen the same traffic warden on numerous occasions. People just park up without a care in the world and go over to Asda.

amazon

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »
Did any one see the CCTV camera enforcement car parked outside Dolce vita on Tuesday. Perhaps this is being used to enforce the parking in the bus stops on the hollins.
it was going down lower fold yesterday .point is its never there when its needed .

adventurer_marple

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
Did any one see the CCTV camera enforcement car parked outside Dolce vita on Tuesday. Perhaps this is being used to enforce the parking in the bus stops on the hollins.

hollins

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »

SHM

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
I don't think parking in Marple is any worse than other places - the problem is there are too many cars on the road in the first place, but that's a whole other fight argument debate.

On the bright side, recently I have seen a car ticketed for parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge, and a warden issuing tickets to several cars outside All Saints Primary (those pesky school-run parents  :) ).

There are few things in life more satisfying than motorists being penalised for their selfishness  8)

And, to badly mimic that famous line from Star Wars (EpIV) ... Motorists, you will never find a more inconsiderate bunch of selfish and self-righteous  :P

adventurer_marple

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
I was coming out of Trinity Street towards Church Lane on Friday and the car in front of me who couldn't have had a clear view, pulled out and there was a car coming up Church Lane, which came to a screeching halt. The bad parking at this junction outside Harrods and the opposite side is terrible. Does parking enforcement still exist?

ringi

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »
It's worth noting that it is illegal to park facing the flow of traffic after dark (The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regulation 101). During the day, it can indeed be difficult to avoid in many places.

I think this is only when the speed limit is over 40 and there are no street lights.

Condate

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
It's worth noting that it is illegal to park facing the flow of traffic after dark (The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regulation 101). During the day, it can indeed be difficult to avoid in many places.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
As everyone who ever has to park in Marple Bridge knows, if you don't sometimes park on the 'wrong' side of Town Street, you don't park at all.

Btw, I do love some of those those nanny state 'rules' in the Highway Code, which we all rediscover when we teach our children to drive. Rule 237: 'keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness'.  Rule 154: 'Take extra care on country roads, and reduce your speed on approaches to bends'.  As opposed to the way you go round bends in urban areas, of course! 

Condate

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
There are countries where you are not allowed to park on the 'wrong' side of the road, but the UK is, happily IMO, not one of them.  There are enough necessary restrictions around without making up unnecessary ones!
Not actually illegal as far as I know, but Highway Code rule 239 does say

Rule 239

If you have to stop on the roadside:

do not park facing against the traffic flow

Dave

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
As for the ''wrong side of the road" this surely is common sense as we drive on the left in the UK and to get on the wrong side you are against the traffic flow

There are countries where you are not allowed to park on the 'wrong' side of the road, but the UK is, happily IMO, not one of them.  There are enough necessary restrictions around without making up unnecessary ones! 

Gandalf

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
Can I add...

Visitors to the URC church parking on double yellows on Hibbert Lane right up to the junction of Lyme Grove, so drivers exiting Lyme Grove you can't see a thing. (Same map as Russ's post).

The offending vehicles usually have disabled badges, but surely they should still obey Highway Code rules and not park at junctions.
I had an altercation with the lady driver of a 'Chelsea tractor" parked in the entrance of a side road, on a yellow line , on the wrong side of the road , half on the pavement, creating an obstruction as it narrowed the junction to a single lane.....Her response was "I have a disabled badge and can park on yellow lines", so I looked up the conditions for this.
Yes they do allow parking on yellow lines but with conditions - they must not cause "an obstruction" (makes you wonder what the lines are for in the first place) and comply with other Traffic Regulations, which means no parking within 10m of a junction and certainly NOT on the pavement. As for the ''wrong side of the road" this surely is common sense as we drive on the left in the UK and to get on the wrong side you are against the traffic flow - I have had a few near misses with the younger generation suddenly executing this sort of thing coming towards me. I was fined $100 in Sydney for trying it a long time ago and the ticket condition stated "parked more than 2' from the kerb....". Common sense prevails there.
She should have had at least 3 Fixed Penalty notices and possibly a fourth as the rear Registration plate was one of those small ones with minuscule characters...

Lily

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
The other day I was pleased to see a traffic warden going to have a word with someone, in a 'Chelsea Tractor', who had decided they could park on the zig zags by the post office. 
What would have been even nicer is if they had been given a ticket - but as I was on a brisk walk along Stockport Road I didn't see the outcome.