Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Server move  (Read 8979 times)

Lily

Re: Server move
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
Ah, I've encountered a problem (well, for me anyway).
When I'm logged in the most recent post is at the end, when I'm not logged in the most recent post is shown first.
I want to be consistent so think I will alter it so that it's the same whether logged in or not.
Suppose I'll just have to get used to it.
Lily

Lily

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:09:14 PM »
I'm with Condate and have now managed to alter my settings to show the most recent post at the end.
Call me old-fashioned - but I like it that way!

Lily

Condate

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »
Thanks. However I don't seem to have a Look and Layout section.  Under Profile, I have "Summary", "Account Settings" and "Forum Profile". None of those sections has "look and layout".

Ah! Found it! It only appears when I click on Modify Profile. I was assuming Modify Profile was a menu. Anyway, it works. Thanks.

Condate

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
Click "Profile" in the menu along the top.

Click "Look and Layout" in the Modify Profile menu

Uncheck the setting "Show most recent posts at the top."

Click the "Change Profile" button.

Without wanting to get into an argument, what are the very good reasons @Condate ?

Thanks. However I don't seem to have a Look and Layout section.  Under Profile, I have "Summary", "Account Settings" and "Forum Profile". None of those sections has "look and layout".

I suppose the order is a matter of preference. For the other forums I visit, people read the threads like a paper document from top to bottom. There is generally an option to open the thread at the last item, or go to the last unread post. On some, the posts are displayed in such as way as to group replies under the original post. When opening a previously unread thread, it seems odd to have to go to the end to find out how it started.

As long as there is an option to choose which way to view it, I don't suppose it really matters what the default is and no doubt there are plenty of people who prefer the new way.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
How do we change it in our profile please? I can't see an option for it. The new default order is awful. Every other forum I use, without exception, uses the old way for very good reasons.

Click "Profile" in the menu along the top.

Click "Look and Layout" in the Modify Profile menu

Uncheck the setting "Show most recent posts at the top."

Click the "Change Profile" button.

Without wanting to get into an argument, what are the very good reasons @Condate ?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
Yes, I've changed the global template to display lastest posts first, which in my view is much better. I didn't realise I could change the global settings for everyone until I had a delve into the nitty-gritty today after a user prompted me with a question. If you have a strong preference to see it the old way then you can change your personal settings in your own profile but I find it much easier to see last post first and think most people will (although it may take a while to get used to).

How do we change it in our profile please? I can't see an option for it. The new default order is awful. Every other forum I use, without exception, uses the old way for very good reasons.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
Has the order of posts on the forum changed - latest first? (Or am I simply way out of date?)

Yes, I've changed the global template to display lastest posts first, which in my view is much better. I didn't realise I could change the global settings for everyone until I had a delve into the nitty-gritty today after a user prompted me with a question. If you have a strong preference to see it the old way then you can change your personal settings in your own profile but I find it much easier to see last post first and think most people will (although it may take a while to get used to).
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

hollins

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Has the order of posts on the forum changed - latest first? (Or am I simply way out of date?)

JohnBates

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
 :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:05:56 AM »

I imagine it has been a stressful day

Time for a well earned drink

Still a lot of stuff to check, hopefully have that drink tonight. Cheers!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

JohnBates

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:16:44 PM »

I imagine it has been a stressful day

Time for a well earned drink

amazon

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
We've moved servers and hopefully everything is OK.

YES everything ok

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »
We've moved servers and hopefully everything is OK.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Server move
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:51:38 AM »
The Marple Website is moving servers later today so before midday I will put the forum into maintenance mode so that we hopefully don't loose any posts during the transfer.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website