Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: John Bates: Marple North Conservative Candidate  (Read 11471 times)

JMC

Re: John Bates: Marple North Conservative Candidate
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »
@JMC - I don't know about the Tories.  But one of the things I love about Marple is that it is so mixed.  And, er, I live on Winnington Road! 

Councillors should represent the local population.  So yes, we should have younger councillors, more women, non-whites etc.  How do we actively pursue that?  I am lucky enough to be able to be a full-time councillor.

Yes a mix of people is great. Although I hear people skeptical of teenage candidates. I live in a more mixed area of Marple and have never had Tory people round here although have had libdem.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »
One thing I want to ask though is when I have seen them posting about going door to door it is generally Winnington Road or other  more affluent 'safe Tory' areas. Do they also go around the lower income areas?

@JMC - I don't know about the Tories.  But one of the things I love about Marple is that it is so mixed.  And, er, I live on Winnington Road! 

Councillors should represent the local population.  So yes, we should have younger councillors, more women, non-whites etc.  How do we actively pursue that?  I am lucky enough to be able to be a full-time councillor.

simonesaffron

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
IMHO, there should certainly be an upper age limit as well as a maximum length of tenure.

The problem with imposing these parameters is that in practice we wouldn't have any Councillors. So unfortunately we have to tolerate some of those that we're left with.

JohnBates

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 11:06:05 PM »
One thing I want to ask though is when I have seen them posting about going door to door it is generally Winnington Road or other  more affluent 'safe Tory' areas. Do they also go around the lower income areas?

We have been pretty much everywhere in Marple this year at some point. Not sure how you decide what might be "safe Tory" as opposed to "safe Lib Dem" or even "safe Labour" or "safe UKIP" We certainly have Tory voters in the lower income areas.

Also, should there be a minimum age for a councillor? Eg should they have had significant/any life experience.  This isn't aimed at JB personally but as a general question eg could a 16/18 year old do the job? Not expressing an opinion here just asking.

Not sure if there is a minimum age. There are certainly examples of good younger councillors, and I imagine as in other areas and jobs more experience etc can help, but ability is not just down to age. Better a good young un than a poor old un.

JMC

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
As an NHS worker and leftie I would never vote Tory but welcome any debate and opposing views being discussed on here.

As an aside, I think I have been to the dental practice as the name sounds familiar. I found it very friendly and prices were cheaper than some for private work.  However I usually use NHS for routine.

Also, should there be a minimum age for a councillor? Eg should they have had significant/any life experience.  This isn't aimed at JB personally but as a general question eg could a 16/18 year old do the job? Not expressing an opinion here just asking.

JohnBates

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
I apologise unreservedly to Mr Bates.

Apology accepted.

Lets forget this, and move forward  :)

marplerambler

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
I apologise unreservedly to Mr Bates. My comments were directed entirely because Mr Bates is a Conservative and because his dental website made no reference to NHS treatment. Political criticism is a vital part of democracy, vitriolic personal attack upon someone about whom I know nothing in totally unjustified. The only excuse I can offer is that, at the time, I was recovering from an epileptic fit during which I had broken one of my few remaining teeth and was enveloped in a veil of self-pity after forty years of suffering epileptic fits. The epilepsy has smashed up my jaw and most of the teeth in my mouth, I have had extensive hospital orthodontic surgery in the past and possess a brain which as it slowly recovers consciousness asks one question above all others which is ‘Have I broken yet another tooth, knocked out another filling or dislodged another crown?’ and should have refrained from comment until I was in a more responsible frame of mind.

Dentistry for me has not been a lifetime of tooth whitening, it has been delivery at hospital for jaw reconstruction surgery, bridges and implants which have over the years not been able to stand the stress of epileptic fits and an essential factor in me coping with such destruction has been a fantastic NHS dentist.

I stand by my strong beliefs that health care should be available through the NHS and appropriate sections of the public sector but I had no right to comment about Mr Bates.

Howard

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 08:39:20 PM »
What a deeply unpleasant post from @marplerambler. I have personal experience of a close family member being a local councillor and I understand how hard most of them work for little recompense and extremely antisocial hours.

Welcome to @JohnBates, I'm glad to see one of our representatives engaging on a thoroughly local platform.

JohnBates

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 02:59:02 PM »
thank you @Dave @simonesaffron and @admin
Hopefully further candidates will be treated appropriately by the forum, even if we disagree with each other  :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 11:03:38 AM »
If you cannot stand the heat of the Marple website you should not be in the kitchen of politics. Welcome to the real world.

I have to agree with @Harry, @simonesaffron and @Dave that your rants in this thread are completely out of order @marplerambler.

There is no way that The Marple Website wishes to be associated with the way that you have anonymously attacked @JohnBates in this thread and what you have written would have been removed if John hadn't responded quickly and with such restraint. If you post any further diatribes like these about this candidate or any other they will be removed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
A disgraceful diatribe marplerambler, especially towards somebody who you know little of.

Also a disgraceful way for an experienced poster to welcome a newcomer to this site.

Speak with candour and assertion by all means, but this is right across the line.

Apologies, JohnBates. 

Dave

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »
I think that marplerambler has shown just why our councillors don't use this forum. His personal attack against John Bates, from a position of ignorance, is atrocious.

John, don't take it personally, he detests all tories. It's a good job you didn't say that you enjoy horse riding. Good luck with your campaign.

Hear hear!   What a truly disgraceful post by marplerambler - I very nearly clicked the 'report to moderator' button, as it amounts to abuse. 

John, I am a resident of Marple North, and although pigs are likely to fly before I vote for you, rest assured that you are absolutely welcome here, and that the unpleasant attitude of marplerambler is in no way representative of how we behave on this forum. 

marplerambler

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I am sure that you are destined for a higher post within the Conservative party than just a Councillor. I slept little last night worried that when my own dentist retires that I will be exposed to a profits above all approach to dentistry and a return to a health service with its feet buried firmly in an Edwardian era and will, I am sure you will be pleased to know, make no further posts on this subject.

If you cannot stand the heat of the Marple website you should not be in the kitchen of politics. Welcome to the real world.

You very clearly are a person who is great deal more talented than appropriate for digging weeds from Marple park who can contribute a great deal to the destruction of the health service in Britain.

As for detesting all Tories this is quite untrue: I detest politicians of all persuasions who are deliberately attempting to bring about the collapse of the NHS.

JohnBates

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
Just to show I was about yesterday you can see my thinning hair in this post http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1213.msg39644#msg39644
Working on the flower beds with the Friends of Memorial Park. Much better to vent energy on community projects than attacks on contributors to the forum.

JohnBates

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:05 AM »
I think that marplerambler has shown just why our councillors don't use this forum. His personal attack against John Bates, from a position of ignorance, is atrocious.

John, don't take it personally, he detests all Tories. It's a good job you didn't say that you enjoy horse riding. Good luck with your campaign.

Thank you Harry. It is difficult to not take it personally, even if you know someone does not know you from Adam! I find it sad that people can be so venomous if they have different views, surely it is better to work together for common good. In fact I on that note next Saturday I am manning the Tombola stall at the Winterwonderland in Marple Bridge with someone who was actively supporting the local Labour candidate at last years General election (while I was supporting @William Wragg) He might be misguided in his political views (to me) but we will still enjoy working together and I hope you all come and spend some money on the stall :-)

Luckily I can honestly say I do not like horse riding. Did pony trekking once with scouts and hated every second of it.

Thanks for the best wishes.