Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?  (Read 42560 times)

chicken lady

Re: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2016, 10:30:41 PM »
The only difference I've noticed is that @wheels has been very quiet of late!

Dave

« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »
So now Labour are the largest party on SMBC, and we have a newly appointed Labour Council Leader.  Will we notice any difference? 

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »
Thank you to all my supporters, every single one of 315 of you, even though one of those 315 is me, you are all tremendous people with original thought.

It was a great result first time out, from a standing start and with only a four week campaign. This is just the start. There are no elections in 2017. But, if I'm still around in 2018, I'll be going again and this time I'll be fitter, stronger, more organised and I'll have a lot longer to organise my campaign than 4 weeks.

Watch out Geoff, behind you !   

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
Well done to all those who played any part in the election.

Congratulations to Malcolm & Tom.

TomDowseMarpleSouth

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Thanks to John and Malcolm for their comments. Also to Colin, Sheila, Grahame and Graham in Marple South for a good campaign.

I look forward to work with all the Cllrs, regardless of their party to help improve the area. @Malcolm Allan and I will be working close with Sue Ingham on the Neighbourhood plan, which I'm glad has cross party support. (Michael Taylor is also a great proponent for the NP).

It was a very close fight in Marple South, and I'm glad to be the first Conservative elected in Marple South in a normal non general election local election since the 80s! Malcom and I need to remember that at this election, more people voted against us combined than for us. So we will be working for everyone in Marple North and South regardless of how people voted.

Thanks to John for his kind post. I've bumped in to John a lot during the campaign. He's a really nice man, strikes me as very sincere and has conducted his campaign in a positive and proper manner. Also congratulations to Tom in Marple South and I look forward to working with him alongside the other standing Councillors to work for the whole community in Marple, Compstall, Marple Bridge, Mellor and Mill Brow.

JMC

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »
I think more basic politics should be taught in schools and more leaflets etc about how things work at local and national level. I have spoken to so many people lately (grown competent adults) who say they 'don't get it' or 'don't do politics'. Same people don't vote in GE. I def think we need PR and online voting.

Additionally politicians need to be more representative. Too often we hear 'what's the point, they're all the same, they're out for themselves' etc. Doesn't help with the sort of people at the top in the Tory party today reinforcing this view.  PMQs also showcases this sneering boys club type of politics. More people like Mhari Black are needed. Even Ruth Davison. But while it is a posh boys club dominating many people will remain estranged.

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi Geoff, agree on turnout and perhaps it would be a good idea to make it compulsory to vote. There are many different systems that could be used although I anticipate whatever system is used, someone would complain about it. In addition, the AV system was proposed in 2011 and resoundingly rejected by the electorate, interestingly with a 42.2% turnout.

Point about Scotland is incorrect, they don't use the system you state, they use the Additional Member System, a form of PR. http://www.parliament.scot/visitandlearn/Education/16285.aspx

I think the London Mayor election used a system similar to the one you mention.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »
Less than 50% turnout in both wards. Would these results stand if a union balloted for strike action and less than half its members voted?

46 and 49% are surprisingly good turnouts for a local election by itself. 20-30% is more normal.  And the Police and Crime Comm elections (now to be supplanted by GM Mayor elections) was rock bottom.
But I do take your point about union ballots.

People have suggested making voting compulsory, as in Belgium and Australia.  Would you support that?
I personally would prefer a PR system so that votes for 2nd, 3rd and 4th candidates still count.  Scotland seems to be able to cope with it.

JohnBates

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
Thanks to John for his kind post. I've bumped in to John a lot during the campaign. He's a really nice man, strikes me as very sincere and has conducted his campaign in a positive and proper manner. Also congratulations to Tom in Marple South and I look forward to working with him alongside the other standing Councillors to work for the whole community in Marple, Compstall, Marple Bridge, Mellor and Mill Brow.

Thanks for the kind words @Malcolm Allan  :)     I think we can all agree it has been a good and positive campaign in Marple North on all sides. Thank you all.

red666bear

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »
Less than 50% turnout in both wards. Would these results stand if a union balloted for strike action and less than half its members voted?

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
I echo Malcolm's and John's comments and below is a link to a few extra details on last night, in addition to the results posted by @admin (and thanks for that)
http://marple.mycouncillor.org.uk/2016/05/06/2016-election-results-in-marple-and-stockport/#page-content

I see someone else spotted the error on the SMBC website calling @Kevin Dowling a Lib Dem.  I think everyone was a bit tired by that stage.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2016, 05:44:54 AM »
Yes, congratulations @Malcolm Allan and @TomDowseMarpleSouth our new Marple Local Councillors.

In the case of Malcolm in particular, some folk on this forum were very wrong. It was a very tight battle between Tom and Colin MacAlister, only 23 votes in it.

Here are the full results for the two Marple Wards:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mikes

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »
Only 9250 people voted in marple south & marple north.  That is a shockingly low number when you consider the overall population of marple.

JohnBates

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2016, 01:50:43 AM »
Congratulations to Tom Dowse on being elected to Marple South.