To advertise on this site

Author Topic: 'Tellers' outside Rose Hill Polling Station or anywhere  (Read 3661 times)

corium

Re: 'Tellers' outside Rose Hill Polling Station or anywhere
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
I'm with chaffinch here, I've personally had party representatives thrown out of polling stations in the past - not in this area mind. I'm afraid some can be extremely offputting/ intimidating/ quasi official in their approach and I see them serving no useful purpose in the democratic process. If I felt they were overstepping the mark (& remember there are fairly strict guidelines) I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

Most (in my experience) are charming however.

wheels

Re: 'Tellers' outside Rose Hill Polling Station or anywhere
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
Telling by the parties is a useful part of the election process which makes things better for both residents and democracy as a whole. Its not a secret who votes you can get that from the Marked Register after the election so I think your being unreasonably precious

chaffinch

'Tellers' outside Rose Hill Polling Station or anywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »
Just a reminder that you don't have to tell them anything or show them your card. They ask for it in a way that suggests this is an obligatory part of the voting process. It isn't. It is just so the political parties can find out who has voted and who hasn't so they can chase up  supporters of theirs who leave it late in the day to turn out, they said. Not too sinister. The choice of telling them or not though is up to you.

My objection is that they ask you for your number as you approach in a manner that suggests you are obliged to give it; as though they are election officials. They are not. The officials are inside the polling station, taking your card and giving you your ballot papers. The people in the rain outside are party activists. They are usually wearing party badges - so not hiding - but still implying they are an obligatory part of our voting process. They are not.