Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Where is this location in 1905?  (Read 5370 times)

tonyjones

Re: Where is this location in 1905?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
My vote goes to Lily.

Shadows from the bike (bottom left) puts the afternoon sun coming over Church lane.
The houses in the distance are on Church Lane, the gap is Highfield Road.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
Oh look at all those bikes where did the world go wrong..

Interesting pic

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
To assist anyone who is interested in this, here's a larger version of the photo. Click it to expand:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »
I think I have to agree that your suggestion seems to fit better than Hugh's @Lily. The house on the corner of Union St and Stockport Road is certainly a dead ringer for the one on the photo, more so than Stationery Supplies.

There is one thing that puts a slight doubt in my mind though, which is this 1910 map. It looks like we ought to be able to see more houses than are shown in the photo - unless of course  they were built between 1905 and 1910, after the photo was taken. Can somebody check that out tomorrow?

I've broken this out into a separate thread so it doesn't clog up the Virtual Tour announcements too much.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
@Lily I think you are correct. I think it's showing Stockport Road leading westwards toward sStockport and away from Marple centre. Good spot.

Lily

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
I've been doing a bit of 'street viewing' and I think it is more likely to be the Hearing Aid shop on the corner of Union Road that you can see in the background of the 1905 road race photograph.

You can see the stepped wall that goes from the front round to the side of The Hearing Room, there is no window on the main side and the building also juts out a lot at the back (quite different from Stationery Supplies).

I think that the open space is where the swimming pool is and behind the Hearing Room is where the substation is - so you are actually looking down Stockport Road from roughly where Stationery Supplies is.

Anybody else agree?

Lily

sgk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
With thanks to Hugh Wheeldon, it looks likely that the location is Stockport Road near to the Hibbert Lane junction. The first building looks like it's the present day home of @Stationery Supplies

This Google Street capture seems to support this, although it's not possible to recreate the elevated view from the original image:

Tried getting an elevated view using Microsoft's Bing Maps, bit too steep an angle still, but supports the theory.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Where is this location in 1905?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
One of the images shows the end of a Road Race in 1905. Does anyone recognise the location?

With thanks to Hugh Wheeldon, it looks likely that the location is Stockport Road near to the Hibbert Lane junction. The first building looks like it's the present day home of @Stationery Supplies

This Google Street capture seems to support this, although it's not possible to recreate the elevated view from the original image:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website