Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Statement from Lisa Smart - Liberal Democrat Candidate  (Read 24596 times)

Bowden Guy

Re: Statement from Lisa Smart - Liberal Democrat Candidate
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Just for the record, I completely unintererested in where a particular candidate is from and I certainly don't subscribe to the view that a "local" candidate is, somehow, better than an "incomer". What I personally don't like is deception and spin, which pretty much sums up this statement.

In the (unlikely) event that Lisa Smart is not elected next year, I would hazard a guess that, in three years time, we will, view, via the Interweb, a statement from the Lib Dem candidate for Hereford & South Herefordshire which begins "I live in Hereford"........

corium

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »
Just a few brief points......

1. "I live in Romiley"..........only since you were selected to fight this constituency.

Fair point but as I understand it she has lived here a couple of years at least. If I recall the last election correctly one candidate said the same would happen if he were elected to represent this constituency! I know I have certainly heard it in one of the constituencies I have lived in.

Lisa's background should come as no surprise to regular readers here. Whilst I like the idea of a local candidate for local people, people do have to move around for jobs and I'm not sure how long one has to be resident to be able to qualify for the local tag. Whether her non political experience is enough to suggest she is not one of the professional political class, or whether it actually matters if we think she is the best person for this constituency is something we all need to decide for ourselves.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »
Interesting post from BG. Re-reading Ms Smart's statement, it carefully avoids any claim that she actually comes from this area, but that is obviously what we are meant to infer.

No doubt this is all part of the (cynical) way the party machine works, so in this season of goodwill, maybe we shouldn't be too hard on her personally.

Btw, this post is not in support of Ms Smart - I haven't decided how to vote yet.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »
Just a few brief points......

1. "I live in Romiley"..........only since you were selected to fight this constituency.

2. "I am a Trustee for the New Horizons Canal Boat".......only since you were selected to contest this constituency.

3. "I am a Director of Stockport Credit Union".....see above (plus WI)

4. "I have twelve years experience in business"......would you please clarify what this refers to?

Personally, I couldn't care less about the personal backgrounds of individual PPCs. I do, however, object to people pretending they are "local" (presumably in an attempt to confuse or deceive electors) when, in fact, they stood for election, to the London Assembly, as recently as 2012 as a "local" candidate who had been a local school governor for many years in London.

Happy Christmas.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Statement from Lisa Smart - Liberal Democrat Candidate
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
Liberal Democrat candidate Lisa Smart has provided the following statement for publication on the site:

Thank you for taking the time to read this brief statement detailing why I think I’d be the best person to take over from Sir Andrew Stunell MP next year at the General Election.

I like to get involved with the community; I live in Romiley, I’m a Trustee for the New Horizons Canal Boat for disabled people and their carers and a Director of Stockport Credit Union.

I’ve got the experience to do the job. I started work when I was 14 in a newsagent near my mum and dad’s house and I’ve been working ever since. I worked while completing both of my degrees. I have twelve years experience in business and three as Chief Executive of an international development charity that provides education and resources for children and young people.

I am a member of the Marple Civic Society and the Canal & Riverboat Trust. In my spare evenings I enjoy being a member of the Marple and District Women’s Institute which is great fun.

I graduated from Durham University with a degree in Mathematics and went on to gain an MBA from the London Business School. I am firm believer that if we get education right then we will be on the best track to a fairer, stronger Britain. Through personal experience, 10 years as a school governor and my work with an education charity that belief has only become stronger.

I am working full time to become the new MP for Hazel Grove Constituency in 2015 and have dedicated myself to campaigning on behalf of local people. Andrew’s boots are big ones to fill and I will continue to work tirelessly to deliver for local people, just as he has.

Please feel free to contact me using any of the methods below:

enquiries@lisasmart.org.uk
0161 406 0342
www.lisasmart.org.uk
www.fb.com/LisaSmartLibDem
@Lisa_Smart

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website