A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: The Co-op asks us how they can improve their store - let's tell them!  (Read 42788 times)

Barbara

Re: The Co-op asks us how they can improve their store - let's tell them!
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
Dave I think saying 'most' residents do their shopping elsewhere is rather over-stating the case. 

Dave

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2014, 07:36:16 AM »
I haven't time to read all this thread but fail to see how any other brand would do much better on the hollins site. There's no extra space to get a bigger store

Actually the entire site, including the row of small shops next door, (charity shop, estate agent etc), plus the huge delivery yard at the back, is quite big, but it's inefficiently designed.  A 'proper' supermarket company taking over the site would probably demolish and rebuild, creating a much larger retail area. 

And call me naive but it's better to keep the faith in a genuine co-operative than a greedy corporate monster?

Naive, maybe, and also admirably idealistic - but we are paying through the nose for it, Co-op prices being consistently higher than the other supermarkets.  And the quality is variable, and the shelves are poorly stocked. That's why most Marple residents do their supermarket shopping elsewhere. 

Melancholyflower

I haven't time to read all this thread but fail to see how any other brand would do much better on the hollins site. There's no extra space to get a bigger store, the car park is too small anyway, and the produce is acceptable. I'd love a whacking great 24/7 store on my doorstep but you can't have everything.

I didn't move to Marple for a Tesco or Waitrose or Booths. I didn't move to Marple for Co-op but I'm happy to use it. And call me naive but it's better to keep the faith in a genuine co-operative than a greedy corporate monster?

Dave

Very interesting.   The Alderley Edge Co-op is a relatively large one, like ours - a supermarket rather than a convenience store.  I read somewhere that the Co-op, in attempting to turn round its ailing business, is considering disposing of some or all of its larger supermarkets and concentrating on the smaller convenience stores.  So perhaps there is hope........

rsh

Meanwhile, not far away...

http://www.alderleyedge.com/news/article/9421/waitrose-to-acquire-the-co-operative-store

A proposal like Chadwick would be perfect for the Co-op site and good for Marple in general, with a larger car park on top of a larger rebuilt store, or visa versa. Sadly I doubt they'll give up on their Marple monopoly so easily.

Howard

Re: The Coop Marple
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
Click and collect has now been scraped at marple just using the outside to park there van for home deliveries .
No wonder there in the state they are . Cost over ten grand to set up .computers alone ....

Computers can be redeployed and reused anywhere in the co-op organisation. If click and collect isn't being used in Marple then they'll reuse the infrastructure somewhere else that will use it.

Howard

Amazon's thread merged with the old one to keep the co-op topics together. Howard

amazon

The Coop Marple
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
Click and collect has now been scraped at marple just using the outside to park there van for home deliveries .
No wonder there in the state they are . Cost over ten grand to set up .computers alone ....

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
OK apols if irony was the intention. Just a bit of a thing of mine I have never understood why living in a place for long periods is regarded as a good thing.
::)

rsh

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
Going back to supermarkets getting plans off the ground, after Offerton (and Romiley, Hazel Grove, Glossop, ...) yet another new Aldi is now due to begin construction in Chapel-En-Le-Frith, next to the bypass. The town already has a Morrisons in the centre and Tesco isn't far away.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/councillors-to-decide-on-new-aldi-store-in-chapel-en-le-frith-1-6262365

Marple really will be the only place without one soon.

wheels

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
As always Dave you seek to deliberately mislead

Bowden Guy

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »
There is a very simple indicator that will tell you everything you need to know when comparing Area A vs Area B - the house prices.

Dave

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
I will get you the ward profile showing there is very little difference between many parts of inner Stockport and Marple

Well, for wheels' benefit, here are the equivalent stats for the two most central Stockport wards:

The top occupations listed by people in Edgeley and Cheadle Heath are Professional 16.3%, Associate professional and technical 13.0%, Administrative and secretarial 12.6%, Sales and customer service 11.0%, Caring, leisure and other service 10.9%, Skilled trades 10.5%, Elementary 10.1%, Administrative 9.9%, Elementary administration and service 9.1%, Caring personal service 8.0%.

The top occupations listed by people in Brinnington and Central are Elementary 18.0%, Elementary administration and service 15.8%, Sales and customer service 12.3%, Caring, leisure and other service 12.2%, Skilled trades 11.6%, Process, plant and machine operatives 11.4%, Administrative and secretarial 9.9%, Sales 9.2%, Caring personal service 9.1%, Professional 8.9%.

chicken lady

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
All ward profiles available on www.mystockport.org.uk

Sorry, couldn't add the link

wheels

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
In that case you're deluded unless you consider "working class" to mean "people with jobs". Marple is one of the most middle class areas you could possibly imagine. There are couple of areas that might be considered exceptions to that classification, mostly around Manchester's overspill council estates. Other than those, Marple is full of middle class professionals and many retired people who are ex-middle class professionals.

I will get you the ward profile showing there is very little difference between many parts of inner Stockport and Marple indeed in many issues those areas score more highly in terms of educational achievement, property ownership etc. Your deluded if you think Marple is anything other than a very average suburb of Stockport.