To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Marple in Action - The Future  (Read 31449 times)

Osdog

Re: Marple in Action - The Future
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
It's certainly not a pressing need at all.... I am curious, as I contributed in the beginning at least.... the MIA seemed to be a group I had problems identifying with in the end... but I would still like to know how the money was spent.  I'm sure that someone somewhere kept a watchful eye on income and expenditure.

Thought that someone from MIA might just have responded on the forum... I'd have been happy with that. 

Dave

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
AFAIK donations to MIA were collected by the Marple Civic Society, presumably because it is a properly constituted charitable body, which is therefore allowed to collect public subscriptions.  However, this also mean that the Civic Society should be able to account for the funds which it has collected. 

You can see the Society's annual accounts for 2011 and 2012 here:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5AE1C34D7E844FFF&id=5AE1C34D7E844FFF%21544#

The report refers to the MIA campaign, but the accounts don't identify the MIA funds. It's possible, of course, that these are the income labelled as 'Reserved Donations': £1895 in 2011 and £1035 in 2012.  But the only listed expenditure that could be for MIA purposes would be Post and Print (£1105 in 2011 and £711 in 2012).  So if that's the case, MIA would seem to have made a surplus in both years, so there are  presumably some funds left over? 

simonesaffron

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
If no-one volunteered the information, how would we get it, surely it should be public.....

If you have a pressing need for the knowledge about this why don't you write to the chair of MIA or alternatively contact one of our Councillors and ask them to write to MIA.

I think that you're right, if they taken public subscription then they should account for it. They've been going now for about 2 years and I don't believe that they have posted any accounts of any sort. It's easy enough for them to do, its just that I don't think that a few individual postings on this site from anonymous people is the way to get them to do it.   

Osdog

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
If no-one volunteered the information, how would we get it, surely it should be public.....

amazon

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
But will there be a statement showing how the funds were spent......?  I'd like to know please......

I think most of us would like to know .

Osdog

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
But will there be a statement showing how the funds were spent......?  I'd like to know please......

simonesaffron

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Dave,

I'm not so sure about "fear". One of them I thought actually, seemed quite amused by it. On the whole though I do agree, the hostility conveyed by the mob at the party in the park did have an effect on some of our Elected Members' demeanour. However, this was instant reaction and was purely cosmetic. The decision had long since been debated and decided upon well in advance.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Because I have heard of/heard this view expressed by them and it was long before C&MSFC "partnered up" with ASDA

Hmmmm.  So they were against it before it had even been proposed...........

We saw the fear in their eyes when facing the baying mob at the 'party in the park' two years ago.  That, for my money, was when they made their minds up (or rather, had their minds made up for them   ;D)

simonesaffron

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
Why do you think that, Simone? 

Because I have heard of/heard this view expressed by them and it was long before C&MSFC "partnered up" with ASDA and long before MIA was ever dreamed up. In addition to this a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane was not part of SMBC'S development plan which was devised when the Supermarket issue was only a rumour and they are after all SMBC Councillors and you would expect them to support the plan. So whilst I admit that none of that is cast-iron conclusive it is good enough for me.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
I think that they were against the Hibbert Lane scheme from the start with or without Marple in Action.   

Why do you think that, Simone? 

Duke Fame

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
Do tesco and Asda build houses with smaller convenience stores included on site .were as Mia go just waiting for something else to object to .

There you go, make up a scenario in your head, invent a response to the imaginary scenario by a group that you haven't consulted about your imaginary scenario and then post it onto a forum so the handful of Marple readers know what you think the imaginary reaction to an imaginary scenario would be.

Next week we find out why people believe in god.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
I personally think they would oppose any other type of large development happening in Marple. Now they think they have 'won' this I would be very surprised if they didn't later object to Trinity or a social housing estate on HL etc etc. I have my doubts that Trinity will ever happen but if it does, and especially if Asda or Tesco are involved, I am pretty sure they would object on the same grounds as HL; traffic etc.
Do tesco and Asda build houses with smaller convenience stores included on site .were as Mia go just waiting for something else to object to .

simonesaffron

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
I cant see how the impact of MIA has been 'questionable'  Sure, they didn't influence ASDA or CAMSFC, but their campaign certainly influenced our councillors, and thereby the outcome of the planning application. 

I don't believe they had any influence at all on the Councillors. Councillors were probably a little taken aback by the depth of feeling demonstrated in number but I think that they were against the Hibbert Lane scheme from the start with or without Marple in Action.   

JMC

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »
I personally think they would oppose any other type of large development happening in Marple. Now they think they have 'won' this I would be very surprised if they didn't later object to Trinity or a social housing estate on HL etc etc. I have my doubts that Trinity will ever happen but if it does, and especially if Asda or Tesco are involved, I am pretty sure they would object on the same grounds as HL; traffic etc.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
Nevertheless, their impact is questionable, I don't believe that ultimately they have had any influence on either ASDA  or CAMSFC. 

I cant see how the impact of MIA has been 'questionable'  Sure, they didn't influence ASDA or CAMSFC, but their campaign certainly influenced our councillors, and thereby the outcome of the planning application.