Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Linked Events

• Food and Drink Festival: September 14, 2013

Author Topic: 2013 Food and Drink Day [14 September 2013]  (Read 9035 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: 2013 Food and Drink Day [14 September 2013]
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
A great selection of Arthur's photos from Saturday's Marple Festival are now on-line:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=143
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »
Here's a photo of Hannah Ward, winner of our "Guess the Sweets" Competition at the Food and Drink Festival yesterday. The total number of sweets in the jar was 5,316 and Hannah was just two under in her guess.

A total of £766 was raised towards the Skate Park improvements - £570 from the tombola, which is a new record for us, £118 from the "Guess the Sweets" and £78 from the Chopper Bike Raffle and other donations. Thank you to everyone who helped on the stall on the day and those who came and spent their money too.

Also a very big thank you to the local businesses who donated prizes, it's great to have such good support from the local community, and a special mention for FOMMP volunteer Micaela Wood who does most of the canvasing, collecting and preparation work for the tombola every year, which is one of our most successful fund-raising activities:

Alan Kennington
Alfies
All Things Nice
Archers
Autoden
Bannister Pet Store (Offerton)
Boots the Chemist
Bridge Beauty
Carver Theatre
Cheshire Hair Lounge
Claudio's Patisserie
Co-Op Foodmarket
Crafty Ladies
Dees
Dutsons Tearoom
Experience-O.com
Hare and Hounds (Dooley Lane)
Hare and Hounds (Mill Brow)
Harmony Décor
Harrods
Havana Hair Design
Helen Winterson
Home Fires and Fuels
Inkbox
J H Neal Greengrocers
Johnson’s Cleaners
Kay Dee Hair and Beauty
Kettlercise
Libertys
Littlewoods Butchers
Lomas Garage / Petrol Station
Marple Bookshop
Marple Health
Marple Post Office
Marple Spice
Marple Tavern
Navigation Hotel
No. 12
Paul & Pat King
Pink Parrot
Poppy
Purple Pakora
Regent Cinema
Rejuvens
Ridings Opticians
Ring o' Bells
Room Eighty-five
Ruby Blue
S Duddy
Scratch Nails 'n' Beauty
Sew In of Marple
Star's 'n' Stripes
Stationery Supplies
Studio 31
SVC Lighting and Electrical
Sweet Memories
Tan Easi
The Andrew Arms
The Antique Rose
The Bulls Head
The Flowershop Marple
The Gingerbread House
The Linen Room
The Midland
The Parting Company
The Railway
The Rolling Pin
The Royal Scot
The Sportsman (Strines)
The Zipyard
Thorntons / Camelot
Toymaster
Travis Perkins
Trek n Travel
Wilsons Greengrocers
Woodstock Pizza

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
So it's guess the amount then deduct the ones you scoffed! Approximately how many did you taste so I can get my guesstimate right  ;D

I tried a slack handful but not from the jar - I have some separate samples and if you're nice to me on Saturday I may let you try some too - good job because they are very more-ish - so come see us early  ;D

It will be no secret that there are more than 5,000 in the jar  :o

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Jay

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
So it's guess the amount then deduct the ones you scoffed! Approximately how many did you taste so I can get my guesstimate right  ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
Friends of Marple Memorial Park will be at the Marple Food and Drink Festival on Saturday 14 September with a tombola and another "Guess the Sweets" Competition to raise funds for the park.

This time we will have a HUGE jar of Jelly Beans from the Jelly Bean Factory. These are Gourmet Jelly Beans with no artificial colours or flavouring and are absolutely delicious (I've tested them)!

All you will have to do is pay £1 to guess how many is in the jar on our stall - the nearest correct answer at the end of the day will win them all.

Our stall will be outside the Alan Kennington / Paul Howard shops at the top end of Market Street - please come along and show your support for our efforts to maintain and improve your Park.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
one of the more unusual will feature food themed stationery from The Stationery Shop.

That would be Stationery Supplies, not 'The Stationery Shop'  ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »
A summary of what's happening at Marple Festival by Michael Wallbank from MARPLE Review's 8 page Marple Festival pull-out.

The Review is delivered to most homes in Marple and copies can also be obtained from Marple Library.

TANTALISE your tastebuds and get ready to savour the many treats in store...

Marple is preparing to serve up a magnificent seventh Food and Drink Day on Saturday 14 September featuring as ever the massively popular street market and a feast of entertainment for all ages.

Renowned for its vibrant atmosphere, the town centre extravaganza is now firmly established as one of the highlights of the year - a golden opportunity for local and visiting shoppers to see and to sample the wonderful variety of food and drink available in Marple.

The organisers are inviting YOU to get involved by baking a pie - sweet or savoury - as one of the most popular events of previous years makes a welcome return. The Samuel Oldknow pie contest is back but in a break with the past, it will be open to amateur bakers only to encourage more people to have a go, regardless of past experience. Entries must be handed in at the gazebo on Market Street between 12noon and 1pm.

Shops, cafes, restaurants, delicatessens and community groups will be setting out their stalls and selling their wares throughout the day, from 10am to 4pm with hot food, snacks and nibbles to taste and take away, a selection of drinks to refresh your thirst, plus a chance to fill your boots with the finest fresh fruit and veg, meats, fish, cheese, bread and cakes.

New this year, aiming to do a roaring trade is the wood-burning mobile pizza oven from the Marple Tavern. Organisers of the Food and Drink market were quick to spot its potential after seeing it attract plenty of interest on Carnival day. Among the dazzling array of more than 25 stalls, one of the more unusual will feature food themed stationery from The Stationery Shop.

Fashion and fizz go hand in hand as Helen Winterson, one of Marple's best known retailers celebrates 60 years in business. Call in and see the latest collections during Food and Drink Day.

Local organisations will also take pride of place, including Marple Wine Club, Marple College, New Horizons and Friends of Memorial Park. Members of Marple and District Allotment Association will be inviting you to view and buy their home-grown produce. Girl Guides, celebrating their centenary this year, are organising face painting. Also for the young ones, right at the heart of things, there will be children's rides to enjoy.

Marple Band will be providing a suitably lively musical backdrop. The handsome Robinsons Brewery dray horse can expect admiring glances.

Music In Hospitals is arranging the annual busking competition which will see local - and not so local - musicians thronging the streets. All types of street entertainers will be taking part.

Several other bands will be live on stage at the bottom of Derby Way, for this year's Marplebury.

If you are in the Rose Hill area, look out for the Stockport Classic Bus which will be running a FREE hail and ride service to the Food and Drink market, connecting with train times at Rose Hill station.

Meanwhile Marple Cricket and Squash Club will be hosting its annual Real Ale Festival throughout the weekend - Friday 13 to Sunday 15 September with a fine selection of locally sourced real ales complemented by ciders and continental lagers.

Also on the Sunday, Marple Sixth Form College has a family fun day including a beach bar, BBQ, children's funfair and young bands live on stage including some familiar faces from TV's Britain's Got Talent.

More information about Marple Festival should be available at www.marplefestival.org.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:25:57 AM »
Hi Claire,

I've emailed a couple of the people I know who are involved and asked for proper contact details that I can publish. I'll post here as soon as I get a reply.

In the meantime you could try getting in touch with Lynne Arnold Marketing through their web site: http://www.la-marketing.co.uk/contact.html

Does anyone have contact details for the organisers of the Food & Drink Festival this year?
Many thanks!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ClaireH

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Does anyone have contact details for the organisers of the Food & Drink Festival this year?
Many thanks!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
I can now confirm that according to Cllr Craig Wright the Food and Drink Festival will be on Saturday 14 September this year. More details will be published when available - put the date in your diary  ;D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Bluezorro

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
My brother finishes his cricket  on  the weekend of 14/15 sept.
Food festival has been the week after that for past three years to accomodate the beer festival at bowden lane after season has finished

alex

2013 Food and Drink Day [14 September 2013]
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
can anybody tell me what the dates for the food and drink in sept are plz