A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193906 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
Try this one Dave,

...'Kirkland have discovered that the site is going to be costly to develop'.... So they say accept  this lower offer or we'll walk away. Exactly as you say except that the Council say - walk away then it was a car park before, it is a car park now and it can stay a car park. It doesn't make any difference to us.     

OR

SMBC MAY SAY:As there has been a significant revision in the market for retail land we will put the land out to the market again. If you (Kirkland) are not going to pay the original price then everybody else should have the same opportunity.  Only this time it will go to someone who has a more direct connection to the Council. This would then give SMBC more control over the project.

Either way the scheme to scupper ASDA/CAMSFC is not in tatters - there will be no supermarket on Hibbert Lane so how can it be in tatters?

It looks to me as if SMBC are trying to shaft Kirkland and not the other way around. It looks to me that SMBC are trying to find a way to ditch Kirkland and if Kirkland do try and hold a gun to their head then they've found it. 

What's your view on that ?     

amazon

« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I hate to say 'I told you so', but.....
So it's not hard to figure out what's going on here.   Kirkland have discovered that the site is going to be costly to develop, and/or no retailer is interested in taking it at the planned price.   So they are holding a gun to the council's head: accept a lower offer for the site, or we will walk away.  This would leave the council with an unsold plot of land, but that's the least of their problems.    More to the point, the council's tactic to sabotage the college/Asda scheme will be in tatters. 
So could a supermarket still be interested in the college site or is it to late .

Dave

« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
I hate to say 'I told you so', but.....
The size of the car park is only one issue, and not the major one, I suspect.    More significant will be the relatively low turnover on Chadwick Street compared with the Hibbert Lane site (as projected by the council's consultants Hollis Vincent), and the greater cost of developing the site, with its slope, limited space, and the need for a very expensive vehicle turntable for delivery trucks to turn round.  Also the lack of a petrol filling station.  Doesn't sound much like a site to kill for to me! 

So it's not hard to figure out what's going on here.   Kirkland have discovered that the site is going to be costly to develop, and/or no retailer is interested in taking it at the planned price.   So they are holding a gun to the council's head: accept a lower offer for the site, or we will walk away.  This would leave the council with an unsold plot of land, but that's the least of their problems.    More to the point, the council's tactic to sabotage the college/Asda scheme will be in tatters. 

hollins

« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »

amazon

« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »

wheels

« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »
as opposed to your old donkey

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
marple will change for the better some day .and we will have a alternative supermarket ..
....And Amazon will continue to flog a dead horse.

amazon

« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that Harry is right and that Trinity Street was a 'ruse' devised to thwart ASDA's plans to develop Trinity Street.

We should not forget though that out of this ruse has risen a granted planning application to build a 25,000 square supermarket which currently lies on file.

It is my understanding that as we are there is no political will to push this issue through. This together with the naturally, multi-aspect  difficulty of developing this project on that site means that in the foreseeable it is probably not on the agenda. However should the  political will change then who knows.

So this project is mortally wounded but it is not dead and it is certainly not buried. Either way, fine fellow that he surely is I wouldn't give Wheels's postman much credence as far a the outcome of the supermarket issue or the location of the sorting office is concerned. If the will was there then the Council can CPO the sorting office any time they like.

In addition to this with the recent revolution in Royal Mail. They may just decide that they don't need an operation in Marple.

So nothing in this whole saga can be called anything like resolved just yet.           

marple will change for the better some day .and we will have a alternative supermarket ..

simonesaffron

« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that Harry is right and that Trinity Street was a 'ruse' devised to thwart ASDA's plans to develop Trinity Street.

We should not forget though that out of this ruse has risen a granted planning application to build a 25,000 square supermarket which currently lies on file.

It is my understanding that as we are there is no political will to push this issue through. This together with the naturally, multi-aspect  difficulty of developing this project on that site means that in the foreseeable it is probably not on the agenda. However should the  political will change then who knows.

So this project is mortally wounded but it is not dead and it is certainly not buried. Either way, fine fellow that he surely is I wouldn't give Wheels's postman much credence as far a the outcome of the supermarket issue or the location of the sorting office is concerned. If the will was there then the Council can CPO the sorting office any time they like.

In addition to this with the recent revolution in Royal Mail. They may just decide that they don't need an operation in Marple.

So nothing in this whole saga can be called anything like resolved just yet.           

JMC

« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »
I have a child at Marple College and worry for its future. Many, if not most, of my daughter's peers went to Aquinas as it is deemed 'better' by many parents. My daughter is doing OK at MC but there are some concerns about it and will see how she does before choose to send my other children there.

Dave

« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
This comes as no surprise at all. I never thought there were any plans to develop Trinity Street. It was just a ruse to prevent Asda getting into Marple.

Agreed.

The college will be gone within two years as well.

...not so sure about that though, Harry.  This is a town of 23,000 people, and it would make no sense for it to have no post-16 education provision.  All those students have got to go somewhere, and commuting across to Cheadle wouldn't work.   But clearly camsfc has been going through a difficult period, with its development plans frustrated, a poor Ofsted inspection, and a change of principal, so things are probably far from settled at the moment. 

I don't want to set hares running, and I have absolutely no knowledge as to whether MHS will eventually become an academy, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility to imagine the redeveloped Buxton Lane site becoming the 6th form part of an 11 - 18 academy formed from a merger with MHS...........

Harry

« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
This comes as no surprise at all. I never thought there were any plans to develop Trinity Street. It was just a ruse to prevent Asda getting into Marple.

The college will be gone within two years as well.

wheels

« Reply #301 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58:56 PM »
I was speaking to the postman the other day and asked where we would have to go to pick up parcels when the sorting office is relocated. He said that they had been told that there had been a change of plan and it wasn't closing.

(I am merely reporting what I have been told so please don't shoot the messenger.)

pity

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #300 on: October 22, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
I was speaking to the postman the other day and asked where we would have to go to pick up parcels when the sorting office is relocated. He said that they had been told that there had been a change of plan and it wasn't closing.

(I am merely reporting what I have been told so please don't shoot the messenger.)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
According to Marple Civic Society, at the Marple Area Committee Meeting of 7th August 2013 Committee Chairman Cllr. Martin Candler made a statement that included the following information:

Kirkland Developments were granted planning permission for a food store on the site of Chadwick Street car park in March 2013.  They now have 3 years to implement their proposal.

The council is in active discussion with Kirkland about several aspects of the proposal.

Discussions are ongoing with Royal Mail about their relocation to another sorting office facility.  The recently announced privatisation of the Royal Mail may influence their view on the facilities they need.

ASDA have until 1st September 2013 to make further representations (appeal) regarding the CMSFC Hibbert Lane site.  It may be that a retail user for the Chadwick Street site will not come forward until after the 1st September 2013 deadline.

The college is bringing forward proposals for housing on their Hibbert Lane site and a decision on an application is expected in due course.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website