Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193901 times)

JMC

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Is there any news on this development yet?

Victor M

« Reply #297 on: May 15, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
I don't think that there will be any further news on the Chadwick St. site until ASDA have decided to appeal or not. They (ASDA) have 6 months in which to lodge an Appeal so by my reckoning that would be end of August.
Also ASDA could wait until that time and then submit a new planning application that would have to follow the same procedure as last time.

hollins

« Reply #296 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
Now that they have planning permission, is anything actually happening with this development?

simonesaffron

« Reply #295 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »

I'd expect at least the Derby road car park (remodelled) would include a trolly park. I really think the fish man will need to move but on hte other hand, having pickup the basics in the supermarket, I'd think it was great to be able to stop and pick up a bit of fish, go to whites and get som enice meat nad pop along for a bit of Veg.

I think this is cloud cuckoo land thinking. Although Asda had promised to not have a cafe, meat, fish or deli counter, at Hibbert Lane, there are no such assurances if anyone takes on the Trinity Street site. You can bet they will be competing with all the local traders.

Last time I did a price check, fillet steak was £27/kg at a 'high quality' supermarket, but was £41 at a Marple butcher. At this sort of price differential, who is going to get the business?

I don't think that the decision makers of Marple put much faith in "assurances" given by ASDA.

JMC

« Reply #294 on: February 20, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
I'd expect at least the Derby road car park (remodelled) would include a trolly park. I really think the fish man will need to move but on hte other hand, having pickup the basics in the supermarket, I'd think it was great to be able to stop and pick up a bit of fish, go to whites and get som enice meat nad pop along for a bit of Veg.

I think this is cloud cuckoo land thinking. Although Asda had promised to not have a cafe, meat, fish or deli counter, at Hibbert Lane, there are no such assurances if anyone takes on the Trinity Street site. You can bet they will be competing with all the local traders.

Last time I did a price check, fillet steak was £27/kg at a 'high quality' supermarket, but was £41 at a Marple butcher. At this sort of price differential, who is going to get the business?

Great post.

Duke Fame

« Reply #293 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »

I was speaking on a personal basis, when the other shops are open, I go to the individual shops, get what I want and fill in at the co-op. What I will say generally, there is far more chance of Newsupermarkco complementing the centre of Marple & for that matter the co-op than a site at Hibbert La.

Dave

« Reply #292 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »
Yes, you could well be right, Simone. Who knows how different it might have been if, instead of trying to hush it up, the college had come out with a charm offensive right from the start, telling the world what a super new college they were going to get!  Obviously there would still have been objections from people living next to the Hibbert Lane site, but MIA would have found it much harder to get so much widespread support for their campaign and petition, and without all that noise, maybe the councillors would have sat on the fence, and the Chadwick Street scheme might never have happened.  Hey ho........

simonesaffron

« Reply #291 on: February 20, 2013, 07:46:21 AM »
I suppose that this gives us an opportunity for further conjecture and speculation. Though the burning issue is that Kirkland is almost certain to gain planning permission whereas ASDA/CAMSFC is just as certain not to.

Asda may appeal but a large part of their case would have to be the condemnation of the other site.

I don't think that will get Asda anywhere.  I fear the only way they could get their application approved now would be by waiting around on the off chance that no other supermarket goes for Chadwick Street.   And as Victor M has pointed out, that would probably only happen if the council is too greedy in pricing the site - they will need to make it pretty cheap to offset the relatively high construction costs on that site.   

I think that you are absolutely correct Dave with your assumptions. The way it looks now, any initiative has been completely removed from ASDA/CAMSFC.  They have become eventual bystanders in a game of their own making. There are many who would conclude..."serves them right". At least it goes to show that (on this occasion anyway) if you ignore the community - the community ignores you. 

Harry

« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

Dave

« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
I suppose that this gives us an opportunity for further conjecture and speculation. Though the burning issue is that Kirkland is almost certain to gain planninng permission whereas ASDA/CAMSFC is just as certain not to.

Asda may appeal but a large part of their case would have to be the condemnation of the other site.

I don't think that will get Asda anywhere.  I fear the only way they could get their application approved now would be by waiting around on the off chance that no other supermarket goes for Chadwick Street.   And as Victor M has pointed out, that would probably only happen if the council is too greedy in pricing the site - they will need to make it pretty cheap to offset the relatively high construction costs on that site.   

Duke Fame

« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
it was suggested that shoppers would not want to walk so far with a shopping trolly. I don't think it's that far  to walk and has the advantage of including other shops.

Presumably you would also have to walk the trolley all the way back? (to get your £1 back and take it back to store) They can be very hard to steer with a full weeks shopping! Also potentially up and down kerbs, squeezing past the fish man etc. I really can't see people pushing trolleys through market street!

Harry

« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Presumably you would also have to walk the trolley all the way back? (to get your £1 back and take it back to store) They can be very hard to steer with a full weeks shopping! Also potentially up and down kerbs, squeezing past the fish man etc. I really can't see people pushing trolleys through market street!

The plans show the back of the Bulls Head as being opened up and used as an outdoor refreshment area. The fish man is notable by his absence from the plans. I can't see anyone wanting the walkway through from Market Street being obstructed by his van/hut.

simonesaffron

« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
I suppose that this gives us an opportunity for further conjecture and speculation. Though the burning issue is that Kirkland is almost certain to gain planninng permission whereas ASDA/CAMSFC is just as certain not to.

Councillors will know that this is/ was always going to be a course of action for ASDA and will surely have a contingency for such a situation.

The situation that has now developed is that in one corner we have a side that knows every option  that the other can use whereas in the other corner the side has many options that have yet to be indentified.

Once, both these applications have been formalised by the H & P Committee expect to see a strategy unfold which starts with "leaked expressions of interest" in the Trinity St site, followed by rumours of the breakup in the ASDA/CAMSFC relationship....followed by ??       

JMC

« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
it was suggested that shoppers would not want to walk so far with a shopping trolly. I don't think it's that far  to walk and has the advantage of including other shops.

Duke Fame

« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
Quote from: Duke Fame link=topic=4619.msg28980#msg28980 date=
Given the above arguments that the car park at Chadwick street will be too small & shoppers will not be bothered to walk to the other car parks, I think the Eutopia of an energised centre on the back of Hibbert lane is not likely and the shops in Marple will die.

Thats not my argument - I don't think that there will be any other car parks to walk to, as they will all be full! On the strength of last Saturdya at 11am, when the only spare parking in the town was at the soon to be lost Chadwick St - that is a definite realty.

Adding another deck to Derby Way car park. Are you for real Duke - who is going to pay for that? Another bill to add to the cost of Chadwick St or would it come out of your beloved Council Tax?

Two little points,i)  yes another deck on Derby would be paid for by the developer and in turn by newsupermarco. ii) Moreover, Derby way does not have to be a through road, a little reworking could increase capacity.

It wasn't your post I had in mind,  it was suggested that shoppers would not want to walk so far with a shopping trolly. I don't think it's that far  to walk and has the advantage of including other shops. I used to work in Tesco's in Chineham, Basingstoke as a 16-18 yo at college. The carpark was at the other side of the shopping area to the superstore and for that reason the other shops did benefit from the Tesco footfall (until Tesco doubled in size and changed their entrance)